Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Students 'May Not Graduate'

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Most education establishments are utterly pathetic at communications. I remember my lecturers were on a two-day strike when I was doing my A-Levels. The college would tell us nothing about what was going on, and neither would the striking lecturers. I have no reason to believe universities could communicate a message any better.

In our case, its not an issue of being able to, its a case of wanting to. Swansea University does not want to turn the dispute into a local issue so they are keeping their mouths shut. Hello?! It already is a local issue you stupid fing idiots.
  • Options
    Daibach wrote:
    In our case, its not an issue of being able to, its a case of wanting to. Swansea University does not want to turn the dispute into a local issue so they are keeping their mouths shut. Hello?! It already is a local issue you stupid fing idiots.
    It's an issue at local and national levels, yes. I get the feeling some universities feel slightly embarrassed by all of this and are pretending there's nothing going on, that all is well, that the world is flat... okay, I exaggerate, but you know what I mean.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    One slight problem with that. Most people already have applied for university. The first UCAS deadline passed back in January.

And you think the people in the year younger are not considering uni choices now? And havent heard about the strike, of course they have.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    It's an issue at local and national levels, yes. I get the feeling some universities feel slightly embarrassed by all of this and are pretending there's nothing going on, that all is well, that the world is flat... okay, I exaggerate, but you know what I mean.
    You are definitely not exaggerating. Our univeristy has been pretty much ignoring the issue completely. Even the student union which started out doing the right thing + fighting with the lecturers has backed off and is pretending everything is hunky-dory.
  • Options
    Daibach wrote:
    You are definitely not exaggerating. Our univeristy has been pretty much ignoring the issue completely. Even the student union which started out doing the right thing + fighting with the lecturers has backed off and is pretending everything is hunky-dory.
    According to the least reliable news source in the world, and to be taken with a huge pinch of salt... ;)
    The head of the Union of Vice Chancellors (UVC) has denied that the UK's universities are suffering from strike action. In an exclusive interview with the Daily Stargalaxy, Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf, dubbed "Comical Ali" by his critics said "Strike? There is no strike here". When our fat, balding, useless, over-paid reporter pointed out a group of striking lecturers reading copies of The Guardian and discussing the great philosophers Imogen and Shahbaz, he said "I cannot see any striking lecturers, they are not there."

Maybe that's barmy, but no more so than the state of delusion these universities are in right now.
  • Options
    Luckily I'm only in 2nd year. BUT about 50% of my assessed coursework was not marked and returned to me. Neither have I received feedback on some of the in-course tests and practical assessments we did.

What a load of bollocks.
  • Options
    Thought i'd remind everyone.. today marks the final day of the existence of the AUT (Association of University Teachers) and NATFHE (National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education). From tomorrow they both merge and assume the name UCU (University and College Union).

The AUT/NATFHE have turned today down the latest offer of 13.1%. This came after talks last week where all sides were close to a deal that would have ended the strike... unfortunately UCEA seem to have tabled an offer substantially different from the offer talked about last week.

Hopefully with the new power of UCU, things will move along quicker.

UCU Website
    Latest AUT Info
  • Options
    Daibach wrote:
    Thought i'd remind everyone.. today marks the final day of the existence of the AUT (Association of University Teachers) and NATFHE (National Association of Teachers in Further and Higher Education). From tomorrow they both merge and assume the name UCU (University and College Union).
    Oh, great. Two smaller stupid, bullying, misguided unions merge to become one bigger stupid, bullying, misguided union. That's the last thing we need, and yet another reason for crushing union power.
  • Options
    hahaha i can't wait for blagsta to see that!
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    hahaha i can't wait for blagsta to see that!
    Neither can I. I wonder what case he will make for unions being made more powerful, so they can be even more bullying and disruptive than they are now.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Oh, great. Two smaller stupid, bullying, misguided unions merge to become one bigger stupid, bullying, misguided union. That's the last thing we need, and yet another reason for crushing union power.

Personally, I don't think it makes much of a difference whether they are one union or two... they were already liasing with each other for months and months before they officially merged.