Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Students 'May Not Graduate'

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heres the link

Luckily I'm not going to be affected by this by being a second year and having no lecturers on strike. I have to say though I am not with the lecturers on this. Surely higher pay would mean higher fees for students. Theyve been offered a 12% rise...way above inflation. There not exactly making themselves popular among students are they? Selfish to do it at this time of year if you ask me. I have friends who are currently shitting themselves as they dont know if they can even graduate. :(

If they cant graduate students should get their fees given back though, after all we've payed for the service of the lecturers...

Comments

• Options
    I'm just really confused as to whats happening, whether we will be affected majorly or not... i'm in my first year so obviously it isnt as important as people who are/may not be graduating, but i keep hearing different things as to whther it will/wont affect us. hmm, not good...
  • Options
    Ive had one email from my student union...I'm sorry i mean 'Guild' saying people might be affected and thats it. There is really no communication going on. Im not affected but i'd hate to be in this position.
  • Options
    Was there an actual ballot by AUT/Natfhe members of the 12.6% offer? That’s an extremely generous inflation busting rise, a double digit increase unheard of for most people and tbh I’d be very surprised if members didn’t vote to accept it. I don’t think academics are thick enough to think they have a chance of getting the 25% their union is demanding.

I read somewhere that the 12.6% pay rise offer would cancel out financial gains made by universities following the introduction of top-up fees. So fees will definitely rise soon.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Heres the link

Luckily I'm not going to be affected by this by being a second year and having no lecturers on strike. I have to say though I am not with the lecturers on this. Surely higher pay would mean higher fees for students. Theyve been offered a 12% rise...way above inflation. There not exactly making themselves popular among students are they? Selfish to do it at this time of year if you ask me. I have friends who are currently shitting themselves as they dont know if they can even graduate. :(

If they cant graduate students should get their fees given back though, after all we've payed for the service of the lecturers...
    Lecturers aren't going to see any of the money from the top up fees sadly and this is a request for more government funding in to higher education as well.

It will not affect students going in to graduate jobs as everybody is in the same boat and students can request references and grade estimates. The whole world won't go on hold for this, employers will not stop employing.

I am on the lecturer's side for this, I support the action. I was in a student union meeting this week about it where we talked to union members. The UK education system needs more money, the lecturers are on the same wages as a person starting their second year as a primary school teacher.

Striking, as always is a last resourt. No, it will not affect people going on to do Masters degrees either, it is just that we will not be getting the paper that says "I passed [insert degree here] with a 2:1" or whatever.
  • Options
    it is just that we will not be getting the paper that says "I passed [insert degree here] with a 2:1" or whatever.
    That'll be the degree then.

Why don't they strike in August?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    That'll be the degree then.

Why don't they strike in August?

They wouldn't have anything to strike against, no marking at that time of year and they're off anyway.
  • Options
    They wouldn't have anything to strike against, no marking at that time of year and they're off anyway.
    Well quite.
  • Options
    I strongly support this action.

It won't affect students currently in the final year at our uni, they have no written finals...
  • Options
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    The other thing is that this strike has been going on for months. A lot of lecturers that I have spoken to have said that they thought the strike would be over by now.
  • Options
    Yeah the strikes happening at my uni too, and they hoped it would all be resolved by now.
    Got to agree with GWST, well said
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Heres the link

Here is a link to a recent thread (started by me!) on these strikes.

Strikes in Higher Education

I think everyone will graduate eventually it's just we may not get to find out for a while and the classifications may take longer. It is more likely to effect those entering grade-dependant graduate training schemes or going on to do Masters degrees (especially those who need a certain grade for getting sponsership).
  • Options
    Welcome to my world. Scotland has its exams from next week, for most students and the strike is putting pressure on us because most of the union are in England and working to that timetable. Fortunately, we've managed to get replacements in to do the marking.

Which is good, because if I didn't pass this year because of some stupid strike, I'd go ballistic.
  • Options
    I support the strike. Some of the best minds in the country are being paid an insultingly low amount - would people rather they took up commercial law, or investing banking instead of choosing to educate the next generation? They are invaluable. Quality staff cost money, it's a simple fact - and if you would rather pay the same amount for substandard teaching then you will see the quality of graduates nosedive..

Do you think a 12.6% pay rise is unreasonable?

And you might support the strike but not everybody in the AUT does. AUT members at St Andrews and Aberdeen voted to end the strike action – but were overruled by AUT Scotland.

If it’s not resolved extremely quickly the reputation of British universities overseas will be severely damaged. Many overseas students have shelled out £50k+ to study here and universities receive a lot of money from international students – this is not playing well abroad and international students and their sponsors aren’t going to be impressed. And this does affect students, if this year’s students are given a degree on the basis of previous results or predictions it’s invariably going to be interpreted by some as a ‘dodgy’ degree on their CV and it hardly helps combat accusations of falling academic standards. Many students will have graduate jobs lined up dependent upon at least a 2.1, if they receive an ‘unclassified’ degree it’s going to affect their employment or leave them employed on some kind of interim basis adding to their stress. And with students worrying about this as well as revision it obviously is affecting students.
  • Options
    I'm a second year at the University of Wales, Swansea. We have been told nothing. The university have not sent out a single email, letter or any other kind of communication, yet they told BBC Wales that "they are doing everything they can to minimise disruption". What a load of bollocks.

My department has all but 6 lecturers taking action and we've heard rumours that our exams will be written by university management (who have no expertise in my subject). This is disgraceful.

Dispite all of this, I (and alot of my fellow students) are fully in support of the lecturers and the AUT. They lodged their pay claim back in October, and were ignored. They told the universities that they were balloting for strike action in February (5 months later) and were ignored. They started this strike action in March, and universities have dragged their heals. Its the UCEA that have been causing the problem. They've had 8 months to deal with this and solve it, but instead they havn't bothered.

All the lecturers in my department work exceptionally hard. They work long hours, and are extreemly helpful. They deserve this pay rise, and don't deserve to be ignored. Yes, its affecting my course (and my final degree), but it'll benefit students in the long run.

I can only hope that UCEA take their heads out of their arses and actually do something to resolve the situation before it decends into full strike action.
  • Options

In simple terms, yes. They were promised 1/3 of the new money. In fact, lecturers pay was one of the main reasons why all new students have to pay these extortionate fees. They deserve the money.
  • Options
    Several of my lectures are paid per hour. The university has a fixed number of hours per task but often the university are unrealistic and it actually takes the lecturer a lot longer. But they only get paid for the time specified by the university. So if UCL decide that say, marking our coursework should take three hours but actually it takes six then the hourly paid lecturer is really only getting paid at half his hourly rate.

This seems really unfair. (But actually no of my part-time lecturers are on strike anyway and these seem worst off).
  • Options
    My Friend is in her final year at the univeristy of Bolton and has been really stressed out by the striking. The way she sees it is she has worked really hard this year only to be told she would not graduate and was likely just to get a letter saying that she has passed, which is not good enough for 3years hard work, not to mention the money spent. The lecturers do have a point about not being paid what they are worth, but as mentioned they could go work in the sector they are trained in for a lot more money, so why not do that. They obviously don't care enough about the present students, if they did they would not strike when it matters most.
  • Options
    The lecturers do have a point about not being paid what they are worth, but as mentioned they could go work in the sector they are trained in for a lot more money, so why not do that.

This is a growing problem... lecturers leaving university and going into better paid jobs. Eventually only those that can't get jobs in industry will be lecturing, the quality of the degrees will decrease and it'll become worthless. This is not an answer to the situation.
    They obviously don't care enough about the present students, if they did they would not strike when it matters most.

They started their action early specifically to avoid this situation. They lodged their pay claim in october. The UCEA have had 8 months to solve it and havn't. They didn't even agree to meet the lecturers until APRIL! Its disgraceful.
  • Options
    There’s no shortage of people wanting to enter academia, competition is fierce for any openings. No surprise really; a final salary public sector pension, three month summer holidays and shorter working hours than the private sector. And a 12.6% pay rise offer – while everybody else is lucky to get 4%.

Of course academics at top universities here would get paid similar amounts to their counterparts at US Ivy League universities if our top unis became private non-profit institutions as the likes of Harvard and Princeton are. But that would mean changes in working practices that the AUT wouldn’t welcome.
  • Options
    No surprise really; a final salary public sector pension, three month summer holidays and shorter working hours than the private sector.

I'd love to know where you got that opinion from. Most of my lecturers start work at 8 in the morning, leave well after 6 (some work much later into the evenings as well as evening). Also, my lecturers only get 30 days holiday a year. Hence why they deserve better pay.
    And a 12.6% pay rise offer – while everybody else is lucky to get 4%

This is 12.6% over THREE years. That IS 4%.
  • Options

And you might support the strike but not everybody in the AUT does. AUT members at St Andrews and Aberdeen voted to end the strike action – but were overruled by AUT Scotland.

If it’s not resolved extremely quickly the reputation of British universities overseas will be severely damaged. Many overseas students have shelled out £50k+ to study here and universities receive a lot of money from international students – this is not playing well abroad and international students and their sponsors aren’t going to be impressed. And this does affect students, if this year’s students are given a degree on the basis of previous results or predictions it’s invariably going to be interpreted by some as a ‘dodgy’ degree on their CV and it hardly helps combat accusations of falling academic standards. Many students will have graduate jobs lined up dependent upon at least a 2.1, if they receive an ‘unclassified’ degree it’s going to affect their employment or leave them employed on some kind of interim basis adding to their stress. And with students worrying about this as well as revision it obviously is affecting students.
    Yes, but employers in other countries will be aware of the strikes, same as when they go to do their post graduate degrees. But as I've said every student is in the same boat here, employers are not going to stop taking on graduates.
  • Options
    Yes, but employers in other countries will be aware of the strikes, same as when they go to do their post graduate degrees. But as I've said every student is in the same boat here, employers are not going to stop taking on graduates.
    What will happen to graduate recruitment schemes which use final degree classifications as a seletion criterion? Maybe they will have to come up with a different way of cutting down the numbers.
  • Options
    i'm supposed to be graduating this year but i support the strike. as far as i know my exams will be going ahead and i'm sure everything will get sorted out in the end (admin wise) so i don't see why people are worrying. my lecturer told me that they put their proposal in before xmas and its only now that the governement have chosen to respond.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i don't see why people are worrying.

Alot of people are worrying because there are exams, that won't go ahead. Some universities have already cancelled alot of exams... Aberystwyth for example has cancelled 23 exams already (decisions haven't been made on the others yet). We have no idea whats happening at Swansea. There are rumours, but nothing confirmed. I also know for sure that not a single one of my exam papers has been written.

Dispite all of this, support for the action at Swansea is strong. The Student Union held a student meeting last week, and pretty much everyone who bothered coming along supported the strike. The University was invited to the meeting, but they declined, stating it wasn't important.
  • Options
    Daibach wrote:
    Alot of people are worrying because there are exams, that won't go ahead. Some universities have already cancelled alot of exams...
    ahh see as far as i know, no exams have been cancelled at my uni.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    What will happen to graduate recruitment schemes which use final degree classifications as a seletion criterion? Maybe they will have to come up with a different way of cutting down the numbers.
    Well they'll have to go by references.
  • Options
    I support the strike. Some of the best minds in the country are being paid an insultingly low amount - would people rather they took up commercial law, or investing banking instead of choosing to educate the next generation? They are invaluable. Quality staff cost money, it's a simple fact - and if you would rather pay the same amount for substandard teaching then you will see the quality of graduates nosedive.

Students contracts are with their universities, not their lecturers, and it should be the universities that people are blaming for this mess, as they have not fulfilled their obligations. Maybe if the vice chancellors took a pay cut for their ever-so-demanding role then lecturers might be able to have a half decent salary.

so true

most people i know are trying to get into banking not carrying on with their studies

lectururers havent had any pay increases for ages now so in the past 20 years they've effectively taken a pay cut due to inflation

if i had to spend £14k/year on my university education, which is what my course costs really (not including living costs which are another £4000/yr) would i really go into academic or public sector work?
  • Options
    This is stupid. And it only applies to lecturers in the union thingy.

My tutor wasn't, said she thought it was stupid to put student's education in jeopardy, and just went and marked all our stuff anyway.

It's all just a scare, also. I mean, like the UK is actually gonna let a whole load of students not be able to graduate. It just won't happen. Cause if it did, the entire nation would be pinging Blair's tits till he said, "Yeah...alright then...More pay."