Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Students 'May Not Graduate'

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    IWishIWas wrote:
    It's all just a scare, also. I mean, like the UK is actually gonna let a whole load of students not be able to graduate. It just won't happen.

I don't think you understand the seriousness of the situation. In Aberystwyth university alone, 23 exams have been cancelled. Not rearranged, Cancelled. Some of those are final year exams... no exam, no mark, no graduation.

We've been going on and on about this for weeks, I hoped that the recent media coverage would actually make people realise that the lecturers are not bluffing, because they damn well are not bluffing. Every lecturer in my department would rather go out on full strike than accept a pathetic pay deal.

This matter is serious. It is already happening. Get your head out of the sand and actually understand that.
  • Options
    IWishIWas wrote:
    This is stupid. And it only applies to lecturers in the union thingy.
    Some students have all their lecturers belonging to trade unions!

Of my own lecturers I know a couple aren't, a couple are and a couple I don't know about. The two lecturers marking my dissertation are though and it is a compulsory element for the overall degree.
  • Options
    Sack the lot of them, open the whole thing up to a free market and it will sort itself out in months. All the useless will have to do something worthwhile, all the useful will get payrises and best of all no theft!

This nonsense made me giggle as well -
    I support the strike. Some of the best minds in the country are being paid an insultingly low amount - would people rather they took up commercial law, or investing banking instead of choosing to educate the next generation? They are invaluable. Quality staff cost money, it's a simple fact - and if you would rather pay the same amount for substandard teaching then you will see the quality of graduates nosedive.

:lol:
  • Options
    We have little problem with this strike at our uni anyway, as most of the lecturers are clinical staff and do teaching as an extra earner - hence they aren't in the union!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Of course it is.

Freedom is always the answer.
  • Options
    "Sadly it's been going on for a really long time now and that's where the frustrations come.

"That's really because the university employers have been procrastinating about actually sitting down around the negotiation table and hopefully coming up with a mutually agreed solution."

What I don't understand is that this was going on when I was at Uni (I should have originally graduated this year) and has been questioned and student bodies have pushed for answers and gotten nothing. And I'm sorry but more than half what you're asking for in the first year of negotiation is a good deal.
  • Options
    Daibach wrote:
    I don't think you understand the seriousness of the situation. In Aberystwyth university alone, 23 exams have been cancelled. Not rearranged, Cancelled. Some of those are final year exams... no exam, no mark, no graduation.

We've been going on and on about this for weeks, I hoped that the recent media coverage would actually make people realise that the lecturers are not bluffing, because they damn well are not bluffing. Every lecturer in my department would rather go out on full strike than accept a pathetic pay deal.

This matter is serious. It is already happening. Get your head out of the sand and actually understand that.
    And it will keep on going on.

That is until some rich kid's daddy takes Oxford/UCL/Cambridge/LSE university to court to get their grades, then the government will realise.
  • Options
    And it will keep on going on.

That is until some rich kid's daddy takes Oxford/UCL/Cambridge/LSE university to court to get their grades, then the government will realise.

exactly :(

we're all doomed.
  • Options
    This is a complex issue, but blame lies squarely with one group of people - the trade unions. I'm hearing a lot at the moment about how students whose graduation is delayed should take legal action against the universities. Do not do this - the universities have made several pay offers, each one better than the last. Sue instead the arrogant, dangerous, overly-powerful relics who run the trade unions. This is a perfect example of why trade unions need to be cut down to size.
  • Options
    I completely disagree with this strike, and that is someone who works at a university and would potentially benefit in the future from the higher pay.

a) It is preposterous to think that they would get a 25% increase, not a bad starting point for negotiations , they have got 12.5% before exams start, why don't they accept that then see what the situation is like in a couple of years time when they can properly assess the impact of top-up fees.

b) People choose to work in a university because it is a nice, fairly comfortable job. If the pay is so scandalous then WHY ARE YOU STILL DOING IT? If you are so amazingly talented then go and get a better job. The fatc is that many lecturer particulalry in arts are very unlikely to do any better outside of academe and there is no sign that the falling real wage for the last 20 years has had any impact on the quality of staff.

c) The comparison to a primary school teacher. Why should lecturers get paid more than a primary school teacher? The latter is I imagine a harder job and potentially adds a lot more value than a lecturer does.

d) People who complain that they are striking at a sensitive time are rather missing the point of a strike.

e)The NUS is a disgrace for not representing its members interests.

f) The hypocricy of the lecturers supposedly being against fees then demanding as much as possible from them and the NUS being against fees then supporting the lecturers in their demands for more pay is quite stunning. When are they going to admit that the interests of these two groups are completely opposed?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    The National Union of Students is a load of rubbish. That's the impression I get from reading their website and seeing what they do. They should be screaming from the roof tops about greedy, grasping trade union scumbags. At first, I blamed the lecturers for all this, but no, the real evil are the unions. The Government must intervene in the dispute, and force lecturers and unions to take the best offer possible. Then, they must legislate to remove the powers these dangerous trade unions have shown themselves incapable of using properly.
  • Options
    Apparantly the concept is that the NUS is a union so it should be supporting the other union....the NUS as a whole isnt supporting it though, there are loads of Univesities that have 'rebelled' with Exeter among its leaders (though it seems certain groups here have always had contempt for the NUS)

However, i cant see how the NUS supporting the Strikes has any positive outcomes whatsoever.

SG: Are you proposing abolishing Unions?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I completely disagree with this strike, and that is someone who works at a university and would potentially benefit in the future from the higher pay.

a) It is preposterous to think that they would get a 25% increase, not a bad starting point for negotiations , they have got 12.5% before exams start, why don't they accept that then see what the situation is like in a couple of years time when they can properly assess the impact of top-up fees.

these are values over 3 years....
    b) People choose to work in a university because it is a nice, fairly comfortable job. If the pay is so scandalous then WHY ARE YOU STILL DOING IT? If you are so amazingly talented then go and get a better job. The fatc is that many lecturer particulalry in arts are very unlikely to do any better outside of academe and there is no sign that the falling real wage for the last 20 years has had any impact on the quality of staff.

not everyone picks their career because of pay, we'd have no teachers or nurses if this was the case :lol: some people like to do something progressive in their lives that has potential to boost people's lives, some see research and teaching as part fo this, for enabling future generations to continue on your work
    c) The comparison to a primary school teacher. Why should lecturers get paid more than a primary school teacher? The latter is I imagine a harder job and potentially adds a lot more value than a lecturer does.

they're both equally valuble imo and lecturing requires somewhat more training than primary school teaching - you need to be at the end or have done a PhD which takes 7 years minumum at university, that is a long time of dedicating yourself to a subject. Primary school teaching needs a batchelors degree, half of that degree is just doing a placement anyway, i know i have a friend in a course for it
    d) People who complain that they are striking at a sensitive time are rather missing the point of a strike.

exactly, if strikes didnt hurt universities it would be pointless

the NUS never has, id be all for the UCLU (my universities union) to leave the NUS, the NUS just rips off its members so people can get into politics
    f) The hypocricy of the lecturers supposedly being against fees then demanding as much as possible from them and the NUS being against fees then supporting the lecturers in their demands for more pay is quite stunning. When are they going to admit that the interests of these two groups are completely opposed?

the vice chancellor's wages have gone up loads in the past few years, and the university sector has taken crippling cuts in pay for regular staff over the past 25 years (less than inflation for 25 years) so the union is trying to redress this balance - fair dues and they get my full support, you can't honestly expect a universities to improve its teaching when it's staff who often do both research and teaching, get paid better for research and sod all for teaching - yes, good researchers provide inspriation to many students, but good teaching out of lecture support help a lot also, especially on a course like mine which at one point i was in from 9-6 without breaks with the last 5 hours of it being a long lab session which doesnt help when your ill
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Apparantly the concept is that the NUS is a union so it should be supporting the other union....the NUS as a whole isnt supporting it though, there are loads of Univesities that have 'rebelled' with Exeter among its leaders (though it seems certain groups here have always had contempt for the NUS)

However, i cant see how the NUS supporting the Strikes has any positive outcomes whatsoever.

SG: Are you proposing abolishing Unions?
    Well, why not? They've shown that they cannot be trusted with the powers they have. Maybe it's time their powers were severely curtailed, that might teach them a thing or two.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The National Union of Students is a load of rubbish. That's the impression I get from reading their website and seeing what they do. They should be screaming from the roof tops about greedy, grasping trade union scumbags. At first, I blamed the lecturers for all this, but no, the real evil are the unions. The Government must intervene in the dispute, and force lecturers and unions to take the best offer possible. Then, they must legislate to remove the powers these dangerous trade unions have shown themselves incapable of using properly.

my university every year has a vote on leaving the NUS, the NUS is for wannabe politicians who dont have student interests at heart, only their leaders image

most student unions would co-operatewithout the NUS anyway as the NUS is such a joke
  • Options
    my university every year has a vote on leaving the NUS, the NUS is for wannabe politicians who dont have student interests at heart, only their leaders image
    Have you seen the leader of the NUS, Kat Fletcher? Real cutie, but that's about it. I saw her on Question Time a few months ago, and she reminded me of David Cameron - just another empty airhead with nothing of any substance to say.
  • Options
    gh

:confused:

Where did your post just go?

Anyway.......

What has extra pay got to do with the quality of teaching? Extra money won't suddenly turn lecturers into amazing teachers overnight. If you want a better standard of university teaching than introduce teaher training for academics, that would really make a difference on people going into academe!

The fact that pay has been cut during a period of massive university expnasion and growth all throughout the economy shoudl tell you something. Academe is a very popular job because it is a rewarding and not too diffivcult career choice.

Why should academics get paid as much as people doing some shitty grind for a job they are enjoying, and if they don't enjoy it then why are they doing given how talented they are supposed to be?

If someone can show me that the fall in real pay has been matched by a fall in standards then they might have a point but a very much doubt this is true, quite possibly the opposite in fact........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    :confused:

Where did your post just go?

Anyway.......

What has extra pay got to do with the quality of teaching? Extra money won't suddenly turn lecturers into amazing teachers overnight. If you want a better standard of university teaching than introduce teaher training for academics, that would really make a difference on people going into academe!

The fact that pay has been cut during a period of massive university expnasion and growth all throughout the economy shoudl tell you something. Academe is a very popular job because it is a rewarding and not too diffivcult career choice.

Why should academics get paid as much as people doing some shitty grind for a job they are enjoying, and if they don't enjoy it then why are they doing given how talented they are supposed to be?

If someone can show me that the fall in real pay has been matched by a fall in standards then they might have a point but a very much doubt this is true, quite possibly the opposite in fact........

being an academic an easy choice :yuck:

you havent seen how stressed some of my lecturers are

and imo the fall in standards has been covered by the fact, most graduates dont go into their field directly, most people in maths and physical sciences go into banking......
  • Options
    being an academic an easy choice :yuck:

you havent seen how stressed some of my lecturers are

and imo the fall in standards has been covered by the fact, most graduates dont go into their field directly, most people in maths and physical sciences go into banking......

Yes it is

I work in a university department, I know people who work for banks etc and from that I am reasonably sure that it is not that hard. Working in a university dpeartment is certainly less stressful than working in the city for example.....

Do you have any proof for a fall in standards? Was it ever not true that most graduetas don't work in their field?
  • Options
    The reason Academia is stressful is that it's totally politically based, even on a day to day basis.

Your don't have to bring home the bacon as part of a team, it's all paid for by theft so all you have to watch for is internal politics and backsniping.

And let's face it, in an age when there is byzantine health and safety regulation, a decent standard of living for most and a healthy black and grey economy to keep both of those running there is no point in having a union.

This being the case, unions have to stir shit to justify their existence.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    And let's face it, in an age when there is byzantine health and safety regulation, a decent standard of living for most and a healthy black and grey economy to keep both of those running there is no point in having a union.
    Trade unions are overtly political, anyway. Notice the way the Labour Party is so heavily reliant on its funding from these left-wing dinosaurs?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Trade unions are overtly political, anyway. Notice the way the Labour Party is so heavily reliant on its funding from these left-wing dinosaurs?

Yet the Unions arnt exactly in favour of Labour are they? of course they're going to be left leaning though, there not going to be demanding no minimum wage and no breaks. they want whats best for the workers. However in the case of the AUT this is effecting who they should be helping, the students.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    Yet the Unions arnt exactly in favour of Labour are they? of course they're going to be left leaning though, there not going to be demanding no minimum wage and no breaks. they want whats best for the workers. However in the case of the AUT this is effecting who they should be helping, the students.
    The minimum wage isn't a left-wing concept at all. Business should not have opposed it being introduced. I certainly didn't, and I've benefitted from it, with countless others. As for breaks, some workers just choose not to take them, but such logic is anathema to left-wing relics like Bob Crow and the rest of the trade union rabble. Those students whose graduation is delayed should sue the AUT for their dangerous incompetence which is responsible for such havoc.
  • Options
    Big business love things like the minimum wage and regulation. They just like to moan about it.

Theres nothing better to keep competition out of a market than violently imposed rules. Take the rules away and it would sort itself out in no time.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Big business love things like the minimum wage and regulation. They just like to moan about it. Theres nothing better to keep competition out of a market than violently imposed rules. Take the rules away and it would sort itself out in no time.
    Business is filled with Victor Meldrew style figures who just love to go to the Financial Times to moan about regulation, if only to get their faces in the paper.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Business is filled with Victor Meldrew style figures who just love to go to the Financial Times to moan about regulation, if only to get their faces in the paper.
    Shows how much you know about business........
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    Shows how much you know about business........
    Are you in an even more cretinous mood than usual today, or have you just been practising?
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I have to say though I am not with the lecturers on this. Surely higher pay would mean higher fees for students.

Oh diddums.

Who ever thought they'd see the day a student was completely self-absorbed and self-interested instead of thinking of the bigger picture :eek2:
    Theyve been offered a 12% rise...way above inflation.

No they haven't.

12% over three years is a nice headline, but it equates as 4% anyway. And that doesn't take into account "modernised" working practices- i.e. you get a 4% pay rise for doing 25% more work.
    There not exactly making themselves popular among students are they?

And?
    Selfish to do it at this time of year if you ask me.

Not as selfish as the VC who helps himself to £250,000 salaries.
    If they cant graduate students should get their fees given back though, after all we've payed for the service of the lecturers...

Paid.

Oh, and no you haven't.

It's not putting anyone's education in jeopardy. Most graduate employers know who they want anyway, and often use projected degree marks at sift anyway. Everyone else can wait a few weeks to get their scrolls, big deal.

The people causing this are the VCs who are creaming off huge wedges of cash and not funding the people who are delivering the services. Same old same old.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Working in a university dpeartment is certainly less stressful than working in the city for example.....?

...and waaaaaaaaaaaaay less paid. Your point was?