Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Democracy.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There are ten men and one woman.

There is a vote and it's this -

Should women sleep with all the men whenever the men say?

After a long debate, with all views heard, demonstrations held and articles for and against in the papers it comes to a vote. It's a 10-1 majority in favour. What should the woman do?

Should she submit because it's democratic, or should she struggle and fight because it's immoral?

Comments

• Options
    democracy is where people vote for a government, or even directly for government policy, if theres just such a small group of people, then its not a government

a simple vote like that is just a vote, its not democracy in action
  • Options
    Is MrG feeling a little queasy at the thought? :chin:
  • Options
    Mr G makes a good point. I would also point out that Democracy does have it's shortcomings, namely the tyranny of the majority. That is why you don't have a pure democracy; you have a constitution to serve as a foundation for laws in the hopes that you avoid such abuses.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

After a long debate, with all views heard, demonstrations held and articles for and against in the papers it comes to a vote. It's a 10-1 majority in favour. What should the woman do?

Should she submit because it's democratic, or should she struggle and fight because it's immoral?

Thats not democracy, thats utililitarisianism.
  • Options
    Oh ok.

50 million men vote that the 49 million women have to have sex with them whenever they say, do whatever act they want, whenever they want.

To do this they vote and amend the constitution. After weeks of debates and arguments, they decide the best way is to vote for some people to speak on the issue (because some people are better speakers than others, right?) and to have them vote on it.

So we have 500 male mps' and 499 female mp's. The vote is close, but the law is the law and the law is passed, the constitution amended that women should submit to men for sex any time the men desire.

Should the women all allow themselves to be raped at whim or refuse to submit because it's wrong to be treated in this way?
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Is MrG feeling a little queasy at the thought? :chin:

of course i am

id want her for myself
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Oh ok.

50 million men vote that the 49 million women have to have sex with them whenever they say, do whatever act they want, whenever they want.

To do this they vote and amend the constitution. After weeks of debates and arguments, they decide the best way is to vote for some people to speak on the issue (because some people are better speakers than others, right?) and to have them vote on it.

So we have 500 male mps' and 499 female mp's. The vote is close, but the law is the law and the law is passed, the constitution amended that women should submit to men for sex any time the men desire.

Should the women all allow themselves to be raped at whim or refuse to submit because it's wrong to be treated in this way?

thats why for constitutional changes, most places require a 2/3rds majority to pass :)
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Voting for government is representory democracy. A true democracy, a referendum would be held on everything. This is impractical though, so we have a representative democracy. We elect people (idiots, usually) to do the thinking for us, and we can only hope they do what we want, or what they said in their manifesto. The lilihood is they won't, and will just do what they want, and make as much money as they can during their rule.
  • Options
    thats why for constitutional changes, most places require a 2/3rds majority to pass :)

Ok ok.

So change the numbers to 75 million men and 24 million women and answer the basic point rather than dance around it.

Shall I save you time on your next objection and say "imagine it IS happening and go from there"?
    We elect people (idiots, usually) to do the thinking for us, and we can only hope they do what we want, or what they said in their manifesto. The lilihood is they won't, and will just do what they want, and make as much money as they can during their rule.

This is all what the government does. Not really the issue. My point is do the women go along with an obviously reprehensible law because it's democratic, or is there a morality that is higher than democracy?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Quick answer - no. Democracy should have inbuilt mechanisms to protect the rights of minority groups, and prevent them being fucked over by a majority; so for example, minorities should have a veto over laws which affect them in ways they don't affect others.

So now we have the problem of how small a group are we talking about?

If you say a minority must be protected, then assuming that is so, then we have this same process only on a smaller scale. Do the same arguments then apply?

If not, why not?

So, 75 jewish people vote against 25 other jewish people for the same rape scenario. Is it now acceptable because the numbers are smaller?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Again, no. Democracy - at least in this country, and in most others that can reasonably be called democratic - is restrained by liberalism, ie, liberal values which are enshrined and can't be overridden, even by a democratic decision to do so.

Ok. SO now we have agreed that democracy in and of itself, even representative democracy isn't moral in any way shape and/or form.

We also decided that when that democracy violates those values then it should be ignored.

So, what are the values?

Oh and how exactly are they restrained?

I see no shortage of theft, murder, rape, kidnap, destruction, corruption or genocide. Quite the contrary in fact.
  • Options
    Acceptable by us the situation is not, due to morality and the whole concept of common law offences etc etc

to a tribal group in the middle of the dark ages it probably would be acceptable

but the whole scenario is flawed, cause it would likely not happen in our vein of society, so you cant really judge it by the morals and standards we do, and to apply thought and process as well

where as where it would likely happen, recognisable law and the whole concept of democracy, doesnt exist as we recognise it
    klintock wrote:
    I see no shortage of theft, murder, rape, kidnap, destruction, corruption or genocide. Quite the contrary in fact.
    exactly, where do most genocides occur? where democracy doesnt exist, your origional hypothetical situation would as i said earlier, not happen democratically in the UK

where as where it would happen, we cant apply our thoughts and systems to it
  • Options
    Acceptable by us the situation is not, due to morality and the whole concept of common law offences etc etc

Would Yoda care to elaborate on this, it seems to make no sense whatsoever.
    but the whole scenario is flawed, cause it would likely not happen in our vein of society, so you cant really judge it by the morals and standards we do, and to apply thought and process as well

This is why they are called "hypotheticals". You can change rape for theft or murder if you like. it's all good, just as long as you touch on the central issue.
    exactly, where do most genocides occur? where democracy doesnt exist, your origional hypothetical situation would as i said earlier, not happen democratically in the UK

They occur in any area where there are no atomic weapons, nothing to do with democracy. Democracies have been beaten shitless by more heavily armed gangs with better weapons from both democracies and dictatorships in the past century.

Democratic governments tend to have better weapons because the freer people are the more productive they become, so any intelligent parasite would allow maximum robbery potential, obviously by giving as much freedom as possible while retaining violent domination.
  • Options
    democracies can make nasty decisons as well, its just the leaders are accountable to the people if they do something the peopel disagree with

democracy isnt about the vote itself, its about the people having a good say in what goes on - i wouldnt say this country is particulary democratic as the government doesnt do the good things the people want, most people i know would say railways should be compeltly renationalised, it doesnt happen for example
  • Options
    democracies can make nasty decisons as well, its just the leaders are accountable to the people if they do something the peopel disagree with

Right, and when they do they should be resisted?
    democracy isnt about the vote itself, its about the people having a good say in what goes on - i wouldnt say this country is particulary democratic as the government doesnt do the good things the people want, most people i know would say railways should be compeltly renationalised, it doesnt happen for example

That's nice. Do you have any evidence?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Right, and when they do they should be resisted?

depends on the situation at the time

That's nice. Do you have any evidence?

there's no definative definition of democracy, thats my take on it
  • Options
    get to the point klint ...just make a statement or something ... me ...if i don't like a law ...i just ignore it ...so long as i have a chance of getting away with it.
    bit like democratic governments realy.
  • Options
    As do I Mr. Roll.

Ok here goes.

Democracy is held up very often on here as defence against all the crap things the people in government do to their victims.

Whether it be regulation, taxation, bombing folk or whatnot, the usual defence is that it was "democratic". i.e. that if ten men in a room decide to steal an 11th's stuff, beat him up etc it's alright as long as there has been a vote.

Now that we have sort of shown that having lots of people grouped up doing bad things isn't anything special, what's the point of following any government or even having one?

You can do crappy things to each other without all the expense.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    As do I Mr. Roll.

Ok here goes.

Democracy is held up very often on here as defence against all the crap things the people in government do to their victims.

Whether it be regulation, taxation, bombing folk or whatnot, the usual defence is that it was "democratic". i.e. that if ten men in a room decide to steal an 11th's stuff, beat him up etc it's alright as long as there has been a vote.

Now that we have sort of shown that having lots of people grouped up doing bad things isn't anything special, what's the point of following any government or even having one?

You can do crappy things to each other without all the expense.

thats also why a democracy has things to keep this in check, called checks and balances, also explains certain things like a "bill of rights"
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Won't happen. Our consciences let us decide what's generally morally good and what's not.
  • Options
    thats also why a democracy has things to keep this in check, called checks and balances, also explains certain things like a "bill of rights"

:confused:

Those things are completely ignored and not held universally by anyone in a government. Governments break all the rules of a bill of rights just by existing. You cannot have any sort of moral consistency if you have people with opposing and mutually exclusive rights.
    Won't happen. Our consciences let us decide what's generally morally good and what's not.

So, explain to me how everything that you think is immoral is sold to you. Over and over and over again.
  • Options
    John Stuart Mill had some interesting ideas on democracy and the rights of the individual that come from that. Besides, what you described was olochcracy, Klintock, that is to say mob rule. That was last tried as a serious political system in Athens and...well, looked what happened after the death of Pericles. A democracy has a seperation of legislative, executive and judiciary branches, in theory, meaning power is dispersed and not concentrated and that the rights of the individual are respected. In theory. In practice, democracy is more like me being able to sing whatever song I like in my bathtub, so long as I dont drown out my neighbours song, to use an excellent quote.
  • Options
    Hmmmmmmm.........

Democracy doesn't work so we have to have democracy......

:confused:

How does something that by it's mere existence violate the rights of the individual protect the rights of the individual?

That's like shouting for silence.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    So, explain to me how everything that you think is immoral is sold to you. Over and over and over again.

We judge morals from our empathy to others, the likelyhood is that those 12 men will think "if I was a woman, would I like this" answer no. It's not sold by anyone.
  • Options
    We judge morals from our empathy to others, the likelyhood is that those 12 men will think "if I was a woman, would I like this" answer no. It's not sold by anyone.

Oooh that's a clue.

Does anyone you know like being bullied, threatened, harassed, lied to, bombed, raped, imprisoned, forced to play imaginary games, told what to do or stolen from?

You are sold on all these things, every single day.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Does anyone you know like being bullied, threatened, harassed, lied to, bombed, raped, imprisoned, forced to play imaginary games, told what to do or stolen from?

If you're talking about governments then that's purely your subjective viewpoint. Most people are perfectly happy to "buy into" the fiction world you keep telling us about.
  • Options
    i think we need to buy another colour other than black and white for klintock to paint with on his mental health canvas
  • Options
    i think most people need some form of leadership (whether they like it or not). Voting isnt perfect but theres a pretty high opportunity cost to any other options..