Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Democracy.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't dispute that. It seems utterly incredible to me, but then I base my view of reality on what my senses tell me, not on what people tell me.

And it really isn't my subjective viewpoint. That's the whole point. I go to objective reality and see none of the things you describe and others insist upon and then assume those who claim are wrong. Everyone else seems to go and check with objective reality and decide those who claim are right despite the evidence.

This isn't the point. What I am trying to understand is why people "buy into" such obvious crap.

"Governments are there to stop people stealing. Btw, you have to give us half your income to spend on whatever we fancy or go to jail"

"Governments are there to stop people killing one another. We need more guns, planes and bombs to kill people with"

"Governments are there to protect your property. Of course, if we need to use it, you are SOL and it's ours. Thanks"

Why on earth would you buy into such obvious horseshit?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I don't dispute that. It seems utterly incredible to me, but then I base my view of reality on what my senses tell me, not on what people tell me.

And it really isn't my subjective viewpoint. That's the whole point. I go to objective reality and see none of the things you describe and others insist upon and then assume those who claim are wrong. Everyone else seems to go and check with objective reality and decide those who claim are right despite the evidence.

This isn't the point. What I am trying to understand is why people "buy into" such obvious crap.

"Governments are there to stop people stealing. Btw, you have to give us half your income to spend on whatever we fancy or go to jail"

"Governments are there to stop people killing one another. We need more guns, planes and bombs to kill people with"

"Governments are there to protect your property. Of course, if we need to use it, you are SOL and it's ours. Thanks"

Why on earth would you buy into such obvious horseshit?

because i'd go to prison or get fined otherwise? :P

The system we have is miles from perfect... I choose to be passive and go along with things that I can't change. Basically... it's not good, but it's not bad enough to try to organise anything substantial to resolve it.
  • Options
    because i'd go to prison or get fined otherwise? :P

Exactly.

You do what you are told or you are punished. Theres nothing offered but violence. To say that government is anything else is to deny the obvious in a way that is utterly ludicrous.

People do not like this, so there is a mythology hiding it.

And now I got it.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Exactly.

You do what you are told or you are punished. Theres nothing offered but violence. To say that government is anything else is to deny the obvious in a way that is utterly ludicrous.

People do not like this, so there is a mythology hiding it.

And now I got it.

I actually agree with you (I really never did at first, but you've had a lot to say since i joined ;p), but as I have said, seeing as 'what we are told' isn't THAT bad (ok my opinion could definately change on that in the future), i'll go along with it for the present :)
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    So what alternative to democracy are you suggesting then?

Well the alternative to violence and lies is peace and honesty. So I guess I would be advocating that.

Anarchy, probably.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Well the alternative to violence and lies is peace and honesty. So I guess I would be advocating that.

Anarchy, probably.
    your understanding of human nature is poor.
  • Options
    Theres no such thing. My understanding of it is amazing. ;)

Now we are going to have a turnaround, where yoy are going to be the one seeing violence everywhere.

99.9% of all human relations are non violent. This is just a fact. Why not go that extra little bit?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Theres no such thing. My understanding of it is amazing. ;)

Now we are going to have a turnaround, where yoy are going to be the one seeing violence everywhere.

99.9% of all human relations are non violent. This is just a fact. Why not go that extra little bit?
    where do you get the figure from?
  • Options
    Made it up mate.

When was the last time you saw violence used to get anything done? (Apart from the idiot box ofc)

You see it daily? Weekly? Monthly?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Is klintock claiming he's an anarchist again? Oh dear, he is rather delusional, poor lamb. :(
  • Options
    I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you...but what makes you confident that anarchy would result in peaceful and honest relationships, rather than violence and lies?

Anarchy IS peaceful and honest relationships.

People are self interested. Long term, it's in everyones self interest to be peacable and honest. Always has been, always will be.

The only way for violence to be progitable is if the costs of it can be offloaded to someone else and there is no balance of power. One man with a gun can tell everyone else what to do, if everyone else is armed he's SOL and has to trade peacefully.
  • Options
    Blagsta - if you want to have a debate by all means join in, your poor excuse for thought is always amusing to me.

Otherwise, fuck off.

Ta.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Oh dear, is klintock getting confused between anarchy and anarchism again? Poor poor deluded fool. :(
  • Options
    btw, I think klintock (and others) could benefit from reading some Kropotkin.
  • Options
    Well no, it's not. Anarchy as I understand it is the abolition of all forms of rulership and authority, and the elimination of coercive institutions.

Right ok.
    Your point is that peaceful and honest relationships are the inevitable prducy of anarchy, but since there's isn't any empirical evidence of that claim

Eh? teres plenty. Wherever the balance of power is equal, peaceful relations are the norm. Between "nations" that have nuclear capability there is equality of relationship. Between two men with a gun there is equal trading. Any point at which the costs of violence have to be paid by the violent person they don't bother.

It's only when the violent can offload the costs of being destructive to someone else that it works. Governments don't have to earn their cash, so they can spend it all on ferrarri's and helicopters. Would they bother if they had to earn it? Course not.
    But there's no proof of that at all. For someone obsessed with holding beliefs up to scrutiny against objective reality, I think you've got a problem there.

I formed the belief by looking at objective reality.
  • Options
    btw, I think klintock (and others) could benefit from reading some Kropotkin.

Nah, he never even beats Sonic. What kind of bloke is that?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    So which anarchical societies did you observe to formulate this belief?

Oh you know, things like my family, the places where I have worked, the local pub, that kind of thing.
  • Options
    Oh and the government itself is anarchic internally.
  • Options
    I think klintock might have a better time convincing people if he actually knew what he was talking about. Which is why I recommend he reads some Kropotkin, maybe also some Bakunin, Proudhon, Marx even some Bookchin.
  • Options
    Of course he won't, 'cos he's an idiot. Which is why I have him on ignore. :D
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Hmmm they have authorit but not violence.

In a business for example, I choose to follow a certain bloke in exchange for ca$h. Once he starts leading me down the garden path, I wander off and leave him to it, lead myself or find someone else to follow.

This is a voluntarily chosen authority which I can walk out on at any moment.

All human interaction is hierarchical in nature, I quite agree and have posted as such previously. Theres no violence in them. Why?

Because the costs of violence cannot be offloaded to others in those situations.

Thanks for the book advice Blagsta, it will be very helpful if I ever need to shore up a table or flatten some crumpled paper.
  • Options
    You think families and workplaces operate without authority? Then you really do need to open your eyes a bit more and pay closer attention to what's going on. Families and workplaces are hierarchies, like little states in miniature.

klintock's autistic, he doesn't see the same things as the rest of us. :(
  • Options
    I don't even draw. :p

Off work mate? Or are you still working for the state like a good parasite?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    klintock's autistic, he doesn't see the same things as the rest of us. :(

Could you engage in the debate for once? It really is altogether more interesting than your usual chipping in of abuse.
  • Options
    Every time I engage in debate, I get roundly ignored, so no. Piss off.