Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Democracy.

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is that not the point you were disputing upthread however? Several people made the point that families are authoritarian, hierarchical and often governed by violence and you disagreed, and yet now you seem to be arguing the contrary :confused:

Adult family members find agreements, children get bullied. This tells you all you need to know about how important a balance of power between individuals is.

Where is the biggest power disparity between adults?

Is that a good thing or a bod thing, given that even family members will take ruthless advantage of other family members if the are much weaker?
    What is the thing that cannot be changed that you are talking about please?

There are always going to be random loons and psychotics who attack others and hurt them. You know, the McDonalds killers etc. You cannot stop them, nothing can. That being the case, why tool up the one group of people who really shouldn't have any weapons or power whatsoever?
  • Options
    :banghead:
    your a loon mate.
  • Options
    I've been trying to tell you that for months m r!
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I've been trying to tell you that for months m r!
    he started off interesting but has become tiresome ...tedious ...repetative.
    repeat repeat repeat.
    all he ever talks about is what he doesn't know about.
  • Options
    All that's an argument for is getting rid of all weapons entirely, not giving them to every idiot who wants them.

You cannot get rid of weapons. I have hands, I can make them at will. I agree it would be a better solution, but as it's totally impossible it's not worth much consideration.
    Sorry to be the typical moaning feminist at this point (actually I'm not, but let's pretend I am), but that's such a masculine way of looking at the world. However, I can see that that argument will only get me into trouble, so I probably shouldn't go down that road.

Nah, no worries, lets hear it.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    You have hands, and you think that as long as you have hands, you will use them to make weapons and harm other people.

Oh right. Errr no. My hands ARE weapons. Fists, you see.

So are yours. Even if we don't create weapons with them. And then you are left with the obvious power/size disparity between men and women and the rapists are once again better armed.

Btw, female to child is the most common form of familial abuse.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Oh right. Errr no. My hands ARE weapons. Fists, you see.

So are yours. Even if we don't create weapons with them. And then you are left with the obvious power/size disparity between men and women and the rapists are once again better armed.

you are a fucki ng bozo klint!
    you argue for something then destroy your own arguments.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    the best argument put forward by klint for gun ownership ...men have big hands! :crazyeyes :lol:
  • Options
    Feel my hand, feel my hand, feel my hand
    Feel it, feel it
    Feel my hand, feel my hand, feel my hand
    Feel my arm, feel my arm
    Feel my fist, feel my fist
    Fists of love, fists of love, fists of love
    Fists of love, fists of love, fists of love
    Fists of love
    No fuck mm
  • Options
    you argue for something then destroy your own arguments.

If I am wrong I change my mind. Interesting concept for a politics forum, neh?

Then I might change back. I hold ideas lightly.
    This is just a completely different way of looking at the world from mine, and to some extent I think it's a masculine way of looking at it.

Lol. Well it would be, I am male.
    And by the way, although you'll be incapable of realising or accepting it, that's just your interpretation of the world, it's not a statement of objective reality

I know the difference between subjective and objective reality. Ok so if we look at all people who have hands, can they make fists? yes, yes they can. So it's an objective fact that any human with hands can instantly make a weapon. Whether they will or not is the subjective bit, not the capability to.
    You have interpreted bodies as weapons, other people don't. My hands aren't weapons, and you might think yours are, but that's just because we see and understand the world in such different ways

It's just one of a myriad of uses. Even if you do not use your hands that way, it is still on the menu. this is an objective fact.
    but that doesn't mean you see the world as it really is and I can't, we just have differing interpretations of it.

Not really. Are you physically capable of punching someone else in the mouth? Yup. So it's just a fact.
    Interesting, if true. Got a source?

Nope - it's so common it's not even considered wrong.
  • Options
    klint me old chum ...in place of government we run things based on family ...cos from your observations they are nice people.
    then you remember when it's pointed out to you ...that they aint so nice after all ...but they haven't killed millions have they ...well you haven't armed them yet have you.
    from your decisions based on your perceptions of reality ...we would have less violence rape murder if we had more guns.
    then a very obvious example of such a society ...america ...is pointed out to you.
    lots of guns ...more violence rape and murder than anywhere else in the western world.
    ahhh ...says klint ...i might have changed my mind.
    this isn't changing your mind ...it's admitting that your observations based on your reality ...are deeply flawed ...or just plain wrong.

familial abuse. ...it is so common that it is not considered wrong :chin:
    how then is it abuse?
  • Options
    klint me old chum ...in place of government we run things based on family ...cos from your observations they are nice people.

Err when did this happen?

I was asked for examples of anarchy working - I gave three - families, businesses and the pub. I notice your not saying that the workplace is filled with peopel hack the shit out of each other or the pub is violent place to be. (And it really isn't, even with all the booze flowing)

Where there is a power balance in a family - i.e. between adults violence is rare. Where there is no power balance i.e. between children and adults there is abuse daily.

So the best thing to do is create a balance of power, as you see between nuclear nations. Don't go to war with each other much, do they?
    then a very obvious example of such a society ...america ...is pointed out to you.

1) They have one of the most brutal, self serving governments ever.
    2) There are other "nations" without this problem, so the problem isn't with the guns, is it?
    familial abuse. ...it is so common that it is not considered wrong :chin:

Oh for fucks sake man. Go our and watch how a series of mums treat a child of say 4 or 5 years old in the local supermarket. It's hiding in plain sight. Open yer peepers!
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Where there is no power balance i.e. between children and adults there is abuse daily.

So the best thing to do is create a balance of power, as you see between nuclear nations. Don't go to war with each other much, do they?

!
    you know some rum families!

you do realise that nuclear weapons are relatively new.
    allsides have been trying to work out how to get a first strike in and a deffensive system that will leave them largely intact.
    the fact that two nuclear nations haven't gone to war with each other yet ...is a yet.
    it is a given that they won't.

the macro doesn't always compare with the micro.
    as i said earlier ...if i had a gun and knew you had one ...i'd shoot you.
    if i had one and you didn't ...i'd havce no need to shoot you.

where you live ...theres no violence in the pubs!
    yet in the shops ...women are beating children everyday before your very eyes!
  • Options
    There is no macro.
    as i said earlier ...if i had a gun and knew you had one ...i'd shoot you.

And acting like that would mean you would soon be dead, leaving only rational people behind. Can I ask why you haven't shot your local rozzers yet?

After all they have guns, don't they?
    where you live ...theres no violence in the pubs!

Course there is. The simple fact is you have to get a human being tanked up, jostle him for a few hours in a really hot environment and then insult him somehow before violence ensues. 99% of drinkers STILL aren't fighting, even with all that!
  • Options
    Interesting, if true. Got a source?
    It's true, and it's because there are far more women in charge of raising children then men. Even in two parent families the parent that spends the majority of time in contact with the children is the woman, as she is the principal carer of the children of the family, while the role of the father has been traditionally working out of the house. Therefore, the statistic is an obvious consecuence of this much higher interaction between mothers/women carers than men. If you look at which sex is more abusive of children, it's only natural that it will be the women since they spend far more time with them, and are therefore much more exposed to the stress raising a child involves.