Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How much do you need to live on???

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :chin: :impissed: :chin: :impissed:
  • Options
    Seriously.

Any more genuine advice is welcome.
  • Options
    There are few things simpler than ironing, which is probably why there're few things less interesting.

As for washing, clothes at 40 (unless it says different), bedclothes at 60 degrees.
  • Options
    indeed.

any more advice on living independantly?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Walkindude wrote:
    Well if I get an office job I need my shirts ironing and trousers.

But then again, my t-shirts and shirts and jeans also get ironed.

Not my underwear or socks tho..

I never iron anything unless it is obviously needing it. I never iron jeans or trousers and I never iron shirts. Hubby works in an office and his shirts are never ironed. If you hang them up properly as soon as they come out of the washing machine (actually this goes for any item of clothing) then they don't need ironing.
  • Options
    wow..

really????

hmmm, that might come in use....
  • Options
    I actually don't mind ironing, there are other chores I find much worse. It's my thinking time, though, and I like the way my clothes look when they're ironed.

I think sock-ironing people are very few and far between, though my Grandmother always used to iron bedding. Just depends on what you think looks alright, to be honest. :)
  • Options
    i wouldn't have thought ironing was something that needed to be 'learned'. you just put the item of clothing on the ironing board and iron out the creases, non?
  • Options
    to be honest, most household tasks arent hard, theyre just boring and far too much effort!
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Well I wanna enquire about thisnew place that has £54 per week rent and free summer rent coz it seems a good deal, but I have a feeling its for students only :(
    some of my friends live in that building. i have a feeling that they are all shared though i.e. 4 people per flat.

have you considered sharing with young professionals rather than students? i bet they would be easier to get along with because they will have different priorities.

also, think of the benefits of sharing rather than just the worry of not getting along with them.
    firstly, you would have some sort of a meeting to decide if the house is right for you and if you're right for them.
    secondly, it would save you loads of money because you would share council tax, share bills and pay less rent.
    thirdly, it would improve your social life because you could go out with them and meet their friends.
  • Options
    yeah I enquired there yesterday, its a minimum of two beds, so 2 people sharing.

That is an idea. But with how me and some pople don't get on, I mean here a case in point, I do't wanna move in with people, start out fine, then fall out an dlive in a terrible state or lose money and be forced to move out or summat. That would make me more depressed and such.

I still can't afford it anyway. I didn't get the jb I went to an interview for, tho they offered me a different one but its only for 3 months, but I am waiting for details before I say yes.

then I also discover that one of my referess gave me a bad reference.....

so thats got me down and I have to sort that out now.

I wouldn tknow where to begin finding people to move in with anyway. Plus I am always shy and quiet with new people at first. Not a great impression.
  • Options
    you really need to be more postive. that type of what-if-the-world-ends attitude will get you nowhere.
    also, don't use thesite as a basis of how well you get on with people. i don't think thesite is representative of society anyway.
  • Options
    Well I know myself in general what i am like and whats happened to me. It colours me and IO am sorry but it does.

maybe I do need to be more positive, sometimes my mindset colours my responses on here so.

I am just practical is all, think of all the angles and such.

I do't wana be an idiot and lose all my money or something just for some taste of independance.
  • Options
    Hubby works in an office and his shirts are never ironed. If you hang them up properly as soon as they come out of the washing machine (actually this goes for any item of clothing) then they don't need ironing.

Oh, they do. YOu can tell the difference between a shirt that's just been hung up, and a shirt that has been properly pressed.

Ironing is a piece of cake. It takes me about 2-3 minutes to iron a shirt. I hate it, but hey, I like to look professional.

walkindude, on your wage, you cannot afford to rent by yourself. Most places have shared amenities. That is a simple fact. You can either learn to live with people, or move back in with mummy and daddy. Those are the choices.

Don't whinge about temping, temping is a good way of getting valuable experience. Your degree doesn't get you anything, it is merely a qualification. You either get onto a graduate scheme (but even then the degree is merely the pre-qualifier to be eligible) or you start lower down the tree and work your way up. Nothing lands on your plate if you don't work for it.

I've temped for two years since leaving university, and now I have some very good experience to be progressing onwards onto permanent roles. Where I work is full of graduates temping in order to get experience- they're getting the experience, and then getting the permanent roles.
  • Options
    Did I say I was complianing about temping???

Although uni does give you the impression you should be getting permanent josb as soon as you leave.

I live at home already. So this is where I am.

So its live at home an dbe a pariah or live with strangers and risk everything?

Some choice.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Did I say I was complianing about temping???

It came across that you weren't happy doing it, that's all.

You have to start somewhere.
    Although uni does give you the impression you should be getting permanent josb as soon as you leave.

Of course they do.

They have to sell themselves, 98% of all people in employment after six months? Sounds great. I was in a £5 an hour job.
    I live at home already. So this is where I am.

So its live at home an dbe a pariah or live with strangers and risk everything?

Some choice.

Them's the choices, because the housing market is so offensively inflated these days.
  • Options
    Bugger.

Not easy is it??

Finacially I'd be way better off at home, but as a person...I don't know, doubtful.

Yeah, student loan compnay said all grads are in a grad job a year after graduating. I think thats bollocks myself. Shocking really.

Temping is ok, just get short contracts tho so takes a bit to build up the years solid of office experience to apply of permanent jobs.
  • Options
    Living away from home will do wonders for you :)

Do it. Share a house with people.

Of course it's not always fun, but it can be, and will help you develop as a person in a way you can't do (or will find it harder to) when still living at home.

Temp jobs can be fucking shit, but they're a start and some experience. You'll fare better in the permenant job market when you have some experience working (doing owt in an office is useful), and a degree to go with it.
    It can prove that you're intelligent and can work with people (assuming you can ;) ), and will therefore be useful to the company.

If living with people is really naff, you could always go back home.
  • Options
    yeah

I just don't wanna lose a shit load of money just to move back home lol.

Suppose, finding somewhere affordable, decent location and then impressing people will be interesting.

I wish my friends were more move out of home times. Only one of them has and he is a mad rocker type dude that wrecked his house as soon as he got in it. My other mate probably will move out soon but is gonna move straight with his gf, and they don't wanta 3rd wheel.

The other main 2 are still at home.

Oh well.

All hinges on me getting a job first.

Howdo you deal with who watches what on tv and who gets shower time and such like that though?
  • Options
    get a tv in your room??

that's not to suggest you should be a hermit or anything! you'll probably just find you work around what people like. i live with 3 other girls and we tend to like the same programmes. if someones watching something i don't like in the living room i'll just go to my room.

the thing that annoys me most is people not emptying the bin/doing their dishes!! :grump:
  • Options
    lol!!

Well I guess girls usually have the same tastes (sorry, sexist comment, I take it back)

I know I just like a lot of specific programmes and its abd enough sharing with the family now so sharing with others will be interesting.

I can do dishes no worries and while I am untidy at home, whene I am own my own I am fairly tidy so reckon i would be if I lived with people or on my own.

What about personal stuff tho??

I mean a group of girls, one or more of you is bound to hav a bf that comes over and its not like you'd sleep in seperate beds is it?

I mean how do you handle 2 people going at it in the next room? Do you haver to keep the nosie down, do they?

What if you bring someone back they don't know like? I mean are there rules? Do you all have to vacate if one you is planning a night of passion?
  • Options
    you just learn to share - though this doesn't mean you have to share anything. just be mature, logical and sensible about it.

i hate having lads over in this house. thin walls + squeaky bed + housemate in next room not appreciative of squeaky bed noises = :(
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    What if you bring someone back they don't know like? I mean are there rules? Do you all have to vacate if one you is planning a night of passion?
    i don't understand what you are asking here..

but anyway, when you move out you leanr to compromise and be mature about things. i'm totally spoilt at home but once i moved out that all changed.
    i lived with 10 girls in 2nd year and this year i'm with 7 girls. we haven't had one argument, nada! just make sure you have a tv in your room so that if no-one else wants to watch your programme you can go watch it there.

when you go round to the house for the first time to meet everyone, it will be pretty obvious whether they're dickheads or not. i can tell straight away if i'm not gona like someone. also, have a few questions prepared like whether people smoke, if they take turns in cleaning etc.
  • Options
    You seem a bit obsessed by sex, mate.

If a flatmate is going at it, you just turn the telly up. Big deal.

As I've said before, mates of mine on £30k need to flatshare. It's not that bad.
  • Options
    £30k a year and sharing. Are they oin pent houses or summat??

Well I have heard from some people that share a flat that if 1 is planning to bring someone back, then the othe rhas to clear out for the night or several hours at least.

Some places I have heard, don't all ow you to bring somone back, like someone they don't really well.

I am not obessed!!! Its a practical question!

yeah my own tv is a must, have to have cable or sky tho.

aww sorry to hear that lucifer :(

oh and I meant say earlier sometime, nice new avatar lipsy.
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    oh and I meant say earlier sometime, nice new avatar lipsy.
    thanks :D i took a pic of my lips and icey made it into an av for me. he's such a good boy ;)
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    yeah my own tv is a must, have to have cable or sky tho.

you may well find you'll have to cut back on a few luxuries until you're minted. I personally would rather enhance my shoe collection rather than have sky/cable, idealyy I'd have both but, until I'm minted- one of 'em has to go...
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    thanks :D i took a pic of my lips and icey made it into an av for me. he's such a good boy ;)

Well they are some very nice lips, lipsy ;) :thumb: :D :yes:
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    you may well find you'll have to cut back on a few luxuries until you're minted. I personally would rather enhance my shoe collection rather than have sky/cable, idealyy I'd have both but, until I'm minted- one of 'em has to go...

Oh no, I used to be without cable/sky for years, then we got cable a bit back...its good stuff. I just couldn't go back now. Every new series is on and they show top notch stuff, plus cool repeats as well.

I want to be minted though for sure.

You could never get bored when your rich, and those that are, just ain't trying.

I don't need to add to my sho collection, just a decent pair of trainers/shows for everyday use, on smart set of shoes and maybe some crappy trainers for mud and physical work. Thats me done :)
  • Options
    Walkindude wrote:
    Oh no, I used to be without cable/sky for years, then we got cable a bit back...its good stuff. I just couldn't go back now. Every new series is on and they show top notch stuff, plus cool repeats as well.

are you joking? I was joking about the shoe collection Dude, kinda.