Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

How much do you need to live on???

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    drumbeat wrote:
    ill put £1000 aside for bills and stuff (its best to round this stuff up)

am i missing something?

council tax? you'll have to pay it even if you're living with students. again, possibly with the discount, but it ain't going to be much less than £600 a year.
    This question is on the home page!

Sorry, my question picked for the home page gives me a sense of pride...

anyway, so some conflicting advice it seems. All gratefully recieved though. More please.

Won't be moving anywhere if I don't get a permanent job.

Those student loan leaflets said graduates get graduate jobs stratight away after leaving earning 18k a year or more. Pff I don't know any graduates from my year that are. If I did then I wouldn't have to ask this question.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    That's rubbish. I get 14k, and for the last 6 months got 13K. I rent my own flat (don't share), ride a scooter, go out a few times a month and manage all right, although I don't have anything left over.

You'll need about £10,000 after tax to live comfortably. Which you do. I think saying £12,500 after tax is a little high, but not by much.

Graduates who apply for graduate jobs get graduate jobs straight after graduation. Where I currently work is full of grads who, like me, couldn't be arsed after uni.

If you want to stay in the city, sharing is by far and away your best option. ou don't have to share with 40 people, but if you don't share with at least one person, it gets expensive. Put it this way, a decent two-bed or three-bed flat is not twice or thrice the price of a decent studio.

If you're prepared to move to Bradford or Halifax, and commute into Leeds, its gets quite a bit cheaper. But a lot of people aren't prepared to.
    Your right, I ain't moving to Bradford and such.

Well I wanna enquire about thisnew place that has £54 per week rent and free summer rent coz it seems a good deal, but I have a feeling its for students only :(

Well I am just saying in my expereine, no one I know form uni and kknow one they know has gotten a grad job yet.

I mean I don't know where you owrk kermit but I know there's loads of grad jobs in accounting, engineering and law but I didn't do those subjects.
    Walkindude wrote:
    I mean I don't know where you owrk kermit but I know there's loads of grad jobs in accounting, engineering and law but I didn't do those subjects.
    a lot of grad jobs don't require you to have studied the subject at university. i know a few people who did geography for example and are now training to be accountants with major firms.
    yeah I know, but what I also meant was there are loads of jobs in accounting, enginerring and law for grads.

But you can't do law or engineering jobs without them degress and I don't wanna be an accountant.
    Walkindude wrote:
    Your right, I ain't moving to Bradford

This calls for a 1996 Dom Perignon.
    Well I wanna enquire about thisnew place that has £54 per week rent and free summer rent coz it seems a good deal, but I have a feeling its for students only :(

Yeah, free summer rent is usually indicative of a student place.
    Well they're not going to know, are they?

I stayed in my student house for a few months after graduating, because it was half rent over the summer.

Look at the jobs you are interested in and see how much they generally pay.
    Jobs I am interested in I can't get!!!

Though I am waiting to hear on 2 graduate schemes, although they are based in London and Cheltenham not Leeds.

Well I graduated last year, they might know??!!
    Walkindude wrote:
    Jobs I am interested in I can't get!!!

Though I am waiting to hear on 2 graduate schemes, although they are based in London and Cheltenham not Leeds.

Well I graduated last year, they might know??!!

Well have you got some sort of back up plan if you don't get onto a graduate scheme? There's a lot of competition for those jobs.
    I have just been applying for jobs, have been since I graduated.

I was online for a grda schem ein my 3rd year but didn't get it then it all kinda went down.

I have only been able to get temp jobs so far.
    Walkindude wrote:
    I have just been applying for jobs, have been since I graduated.

I was online for a grda schem ein my 3rd year but didn't get it then it all kinda went down.

I have only been able to get temp jobs so far.

OK I see, well if you are managing to live on temp wages at the moment why are you so worried about the future?

Temping can be a good way in.
    I'm not.

I live at home. I pay £80 a month rent, plus pay back whatever money I borrow or any expenisve phone pill I make (which I don't luckily)

I have had 4 temp josb so far. 1 last 2 days, 1 last a month, another last 3 days and this on I am on is a 3 weeks deal.

I don't pay bills or owt like that or council tax like I would if I moved out. I just pay this flat £80 a month.

Which is good coz I get my clothes washed and ironed, cooked food, a guarnteed bed, ntl cable and free internet....

but I geuss I could get too comfortable and be a sad guy that lives at home all his life and its hardly attractive to women..

So I wanna move out, grow as a person, be indpendant and yes..more attractive to women.
    You really should learn to cook/clean/iron/etc before you leave home if you havent already.
    Well I can cook to a degree, I only need tolearn the seetings for washing and I can do that. I am pretty adapt and cleaning, though I don't know how to iron...

was thinking I could pay someone for that...
    Walkindude wrote:
    Well I can cook to a degree, I only need tolearn the seetings for washing and I can do that. I am pretty adapt and cleaning, though I don't know how to iron...

was thinking I could pay someone for that...

I'd learn if I were you, £12k isnt going to get you a maid as well as your own flat.
    I was thinking my nan, not a maid.
    Walkindude wrote:
    I was thinking my nan, not a maid.

For gods sake, stand on your own feet, you're not a child.
    oh fuck off. This is what I was on about to the mods, fo fucks sake.

People like you ruin message boards.

it didn't require that comment.

if I choose to learn to iron I will, if I don't I won't. I'll pay some1 or I'll not pay.

Your insults make no difference.

If your not going to give advice or at least post in a civilised manner then please stay off this thread.
    Washing machine settings are a piece of piss. The label on the clothes clearly states the setting, you put in your powder (non-bio for general and colour washes, biological for whites and stains) and switch on. That's really not a big hurdle. :)

Let your poor nan be, she's probably been washing dirty undercrackers for decades now. Buy her a nice bunch of flowers instead!
    It fills her day!! lol

Joke.

Wel she has often said she should get money for the ironing she does, why not make that wish come true?? lol

Its just an idea. Nothing is settled yet.
    Walkindude wrote:
    Wel she has often said she should get money for the ironing she does, why not make that wish come true?? lol

She should! You'd have to shell out for a professional ironing service otherwise. Honestly, learn to iron, it's an essential life skill imo...or learn to love creased clothes. ;)

I'm not having a go, just saying.
    indeed.

I have a a bit of a fear of hot, steaming things tho. Always think I'm gonna get burned :(

If I move out, I guess I will learn.

Seems complicated though, getting it just right and creases in right places and such lol.
    More chance of you burning your clothes than yourself...though the steam can be a bit perilous at times. :p

Hmm, there's got to be some serious money in teaching [some] men to iron.
    I'm so happy that my bf knows how to iron his shrits, then he can do mine as well, they are the one thing that I still find tricky to do, I suppose its because I don't have to wear them that often, so when I do my ironing I never have to worry about it.
    Walkindude wrote:
    People like you ruin message boards.

Just a bit of an over reaction dont you think?
    I never iron anything *shrug*
    But then I don't wear cotton shirts or the type of clothes that need ironing really. I don't understand people who waste their time ironing everything, like socks, and pillow cases and T shirts.
    I have been having a bad time on this baord bong, and it stems form a wider issue on here. On reflection your comment may not have been as harsh as I first thought, but my response was in relation to something earlier today.
    Well if I get an office job I need my shirts ironing and trousers.

But then again, my t-shirts and shirts and jeans also get ironed.

Not my underwear or socks tho..
    bongbudda wrote:
    Just a bit of an over reaction dont you think?

Have a bit of compassion for the man, can't you see hes being bullied? :p