Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Total Smoking Ban Passed!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's pretty simple. If you disagree with this legislation, then you have to disagree with any health and safety measures put in to any establishment to protect workers and customers.

Bollocks.
    Landlords don't give a shit about their workers or customers health, just making a profit, and most will do the bare minimum to ensure people's safety. Maybe we should do away with safety regulations on contruction sites, after all, no-one's forcing you to work there. Or food hygene standards in restaurants? After all, it's you're own fault for going there and eating the food.

I think you’ll find that when you eat in a restaurant that isn’t acting in accordance with food hygiene standards you’ll only find out the next day when you’ve got a stomach ache and feel sick. You won’t find out before you get in – so you can’t choose to make a decision.

Meanwhile enter a smoky environment and it’s pretty obviously – hence you can make a choice. Also, could someone in favour of this outrageous outright ban explain what is wrong with two separate rooms? Two separated rooms?

And also why can’t the members of private clubs democratically decide whether to go for a ban or not? I mean surely that wouldn’t be a problem since the militant non-smokers are claiming everybody supports an outright ban?
  • Options
    Bollocks.
    Why bollocks? Explain how this is at all different from any other health and safety measure.
  • Options
    Its the same kind of mechanism though, putting barriers up to stop or hamper people doing it. High road tax will reduce the amount of people driving in those areas. Stopping smoking in pubs will reduce the amount of people working in pubs getting nasty shit in their lungs.

Similar, but banning is different from charging per use to discourage (well, I suppose the fine is £2500...).

The point I was getting at is that just because you're for one thing, doesn't mean you're for another. I'm happy for the govt to do what they want with their roads, but a private members club/pub I feel differently about.

I don't indulge anymore, anyway, so I've no problem with not being able to smoke. I just dislike the method by which it's been introduced.
    I'd prefer to've see incentives/disincentives, rather than an outright ban.
  • Options
  • Options
    Similar, but banning is different from charging per use to discourage (well, I suppose the fine is £2500...).

The point I was getting at is that just because you're for one thing, doesn't mean you're for another. I'm happy for the govt to do what they want with their roads, but a private members club/pub I feel differently about.

I don't indulge anymore, anyway, so I've no problem with not being able to smoke. I just dislike the method by which it's been introduced.
    I'd prefer to've see incentives/disincentives, rather than an outright ban.

I agree, I think there could have been a compromise, for example 'smoking rooms' or something, and perhaps the employers have to pay an extra 'health insurance tax' for the workers if they have one or something like that? I dunno, it just seems too much like a tyrannical dictatorship to me.

Oh and to whoever mentioned it: banning smoking would only give criminal cartels a huge source of income. Why any sane person would want to give up so much tax revenue and give it to someone else I dont know.
  • Options
    Why bollocks? Explain how this is at all different from any other health and safety measure.

The dangers of passive smoking have been highly exaggerated for a start. And an outright ban can hardly be purely for the purpose of ‘health and safety’ when separate rooms would have done the same job.

And what about health and safety measures protecting children? Despite the fantasies of anti-smoking busybodies you can’t ban smoking in the home. Yet with banning smoking in pubs and bingo halls plenty of people who enjoy a cigarette on a night out will just smoke more at home. (And lets also remember in some pubs and clubs and in most bingo halls most of the customers smoke).

From the BBC
    A majority of the three million people who regularly play are smokers, says the Bingo Association.
    These enthusiasts, mostly women, will have to be persuaded to play without a smoke - and there are fears that a downturn could cause the closures of bingo halls, taking away the chance of a night out for many people
  • Options
    The best way meanwhile smokers could protest this ban and soon stop the tyrannical gloating of the interfering busybodies is by purchasing all of their cigarettes from Calais – I’m sure those in favour of the ban would be thrilled to make up all that lost customs revenue by shelling out an extra penny on income tax. And of course if smokers and landlords en masse simply ignored the ban it will prove unenforceable; and I don’t mean covert separate rooms for smokers as exist in some pubs in Ireland, I mean totally ignoring it. Unfortunately people will just complain and grumble but put up with it and do nothing. The only hope is some amendments by the House of Lords, although I'm not sure if even that will change anything.
  • Options
    I'm torn... I can't see this benefitting the pub trade at all (but then big chain bars... the pub equivalent of Aldi are killing off smaller pubs), all it'll do is push people on to the streets to smoke their fags and outside pubs there will be piles of cigarettes.

At the same time, whilst I like a cigar, maybe it'll be nice to sit in a smoke free pub.
  • Options
    I hate the civil liberties aspect but for the sake of my health and my enjoyment I cannot wait for this to come into force.
    The scenes in the House of Commons when they passed were pathetic, verging on ludicrous. We had the ridicilous spectacle of Tony Blair and Patricia Hewitt voting AGAINST their own government's proposals! What kind of government is this man trying to run, for goodness sake? This bill is a prime example of how badly Britain is being led today. Useless legislation that will prove utterly impossible to enforce. You couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    The Houses of Parliament are exempt from the new law though so they can still smoke. :eek2:
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    The Houses of Parliament are exempt from the new law though so they can still smoke. :eek2:
    Our MPs know how to look after their own interests, don't they? ;)
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    Facts? That link points to some people`s OPINIONS based on statistics that they have studied. Did you post the wrong link ? :confused:

they are facts stated as 'opinion' ie someone is stating them so you consider them that persons opinion.

Maybe you read the wrong site? I can teach you to improve your reading skills if you'd like to see the proper thing?
  • Options
    Another person who can't seperate opinions from facts. :rolleyes:

Take out all the senteces with the words "can" "could" "estimated" and "possibly" and theres not a lot left.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Another person who can't seperate opinions from facts. :rolleyes:

Take out all the senteces with the words "can" "could" "estimated" and "possibly" and theres not a lot left.

... NOTHING is certain (except time i suppose) so we can only go on strong evidence, so words like these have to be used.

Getting hit by a truck COULD kill you, but taht's just opinion right... Maybe go stand in front of a truck and gather some statistics? :p
  • Options
    ... NOTHING is certain (except time i suppose) so we can only go on strong evidence, so words like these have to be used.

Add in gravity, light, heat etc., you know, the rest of the real world.
    Getting hit by a truck COULD kill you, but taht's just opinion right... Maybe go stand in front of a truck and gather some statistics :p

I can stand in front of a truck all day long and never get hurt, everyone can.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Add in gravity, light, heat etc., you know, the rest of the real world.

I can stand in front of a truck all day long and never get hurt, everyone can.

a moving truck smartarse :P

heat and gravity are not universally constant, light is apparent in different forms and dependant on how it is perceived... E.g. it is ESTIMATED that holding your hand in a flame for 5 second COULD burn you.. (this may depend on the heat of the flame, if ure wearing fireproof gloves, if you have a wooden hand...annything).. But would you not still take the idea that fire burns as a given?
  • Options
    a moving truck smartarse :P

You started it :p
    heat and gravity are not universally constant, light is apparent in different forms and dependant on how it is perceived

No no. Light's a constant, just the observer perception changes.
    E.g. it is ESTIMATED that holding your hand in a flame for 5 second COULD burn you..

Because holding your hand over a flame WILL burn you, i's just a matter of when. As you know some people can smoke loads and nothing happens to them. The cancer that we all carry all the time doesn't bloom in them.
    But would you not still take the idea that fire burns as a given?

Yeah, sure. What the hell has this to do with the smoking link you posted? It's about as far removed from that kind of reasoning as you can get. If anything you'd look at the facts and say "smoking is not the sole or even primary cause of cancer, what have we missed out?"
  • Options
    Beaudesert_derailment.jpg
  • Options
    Because holding your hand over a flame WILL burn you, i's just a matter of when. As you know some people can smoke loads and nothing happens to them. The cancer that we all carry all the time doesn't bloom in them.

.. I didn't think there was any doubt that smoking will shorten your life? People can smoke loads but it's just a matter of time, just like the burning thing... maybe theyll get flattened by a road sweeper before or something... but maybe someone would get their hand chopped off before the flame burnt.

This all has nothing directly to do with the link i posted, its questioning what you said about the words 'estimated / can' etc.. Everything has to be based on compelling evidence to be fact, but i'd just be going over whats already been said if i continued...

You were just being awkward tbh... if you don't want to accept them as facts then thats fine by me... passive smoking is entirely safe, happy?
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I wonder when they'll realise that alcohol is a poison just like the thousands of chemicals found in a wood bine?
    Personaly I'd rather see the seperate area for smokers continued but with pubs made to install extractor fans to a certain spec.
    I think all the stress over this is just as likely to bring people to an early grave... It's all about communicating with your body and telling it to fight!

Anyway, Hi everyone, I'm partially back from a early grave myself...

hi :cool:
  • Options
    .. I didn't think there was any doubt that smoking will shorten your life?

You thought wrong
    You were just being awkward tbh... if you don't want to accept them as facts then thats fine by me... passive smoking is entirely safe, happy?

Don't be silly. We think there's a link. How you get from thinking theres a link (for only some people mind you) to using the coercive power of the state to bully people into stopping I am not quite sure.

Some people think that using violence to control another man's place of business on spurious health grounds for people who don't fucking even go there in the first place is ok. Not me though, I'm sane.

Let people vote with their wallets.
  • Options
    I’m not saying smoking isn’t harmful because I think it’s obvious that it’s unhealthy but it’s interesting how the Japanese have the highest life expectancy in the world yet also a very high proportion of smokers. (Quick search on Google states that 50% of Japanese men smoke).

Carry on searching and the cancer mortality rate among men per 100,000 for lung cancer is 72.3 in the US, 21.8 in China and 58.3 in Japan.
    http://www.truehealth.org/acompar1.html

Am I the only one that finds it odd that the US has a lower smoking rate than Japan and China yet a higher lung cancer mortality rate?

I don’t suppose Japan having a higher life expectancy than the US and UK yet a higher rate of smokers could be anything to do with the Japanese diet being considerably healthier than a Western diet? Maybe it’s the green tea that the Japanese and Chinese drink?

While smoking is almost certainly unhealthy I can’t help but feel that the dangers are sometimes exaggerated at the expense of other factors important for a healthy lifestyle like a decent diet and exercise. I think it is scare tactics that smoking will automatically, without a doubt lead to dying young; while I don’t doubt that it will increase the risk of all sorts of nasty things the perception that it’s guaranteed to really does seem like scare tactics. And some distinction really is needed between a obese chain smoker that goes to a greasy spoon a couple of times a week, never exercises and gets drunk most nights and the occasional smoker who other than enjoying the odd cigarette lives a healthy lifestyle.
  • Options
    I'm considering taking up smoking to be honest. Fuck 'em.
  • Options
    I’m not saying smoking isn’t harmful because I think it’s obvious that it’s unhealthy but it’s interesting how the Japanese have the highest life expectancy in the world yet also a very high proportion of smokers. (Quick search on Google states that 50% of Japanese men smoke).

Carry on searching and the cancer mortality rate among men per 100,000 for lung cancer is 72.3 in the US, 21.8 in China and 58.3 in Japan.

Am I the only one that finds it odd that the US has a lower smoking rate than Japan and China yet a higher lung cancer mortality rate?
    Better healthcare probably. I mean look at the number of US citizens that don't have access to basic healthcare. These are probably the ones most likely to smoke too.
  • Options
    Better healthcare probably. I mean look at the number of US citizens that don't have access to basic healthcare. These are probably the ones most likely to smoke too.

I think it’s got to be more than that. Even if America had an NHS that wouldn’t change the fact that a lot of Americans eat absolute junk. Britain has an NHS and pretty good healthcare, a lower rate of smoking than Japan and China – and yet a higher cancer mortality rate than both. And I wasn’t aware that China had a particularly good healthcare system?
  • Options
    Maybe it's because they don't spend 5 hours every weekend in smoke-filled clubs then. ;)
  • Options

I don’t suppose Japan having a higher life expectancy than the US and UK yet a higher rate of smokers could be anything to do with the Japanese diet being considerably healthier than a Western diet? Maybe it’s the green tea that the Japanese and Chinese drink?

While smoking is almost certainly unhealthy I can’t help but feel that the dangers are sometimes exaggerated at the expense of other factors important for a healthy lifestyle like a decent diet and exercise. I think it is scare tactics that smoking will automatically, without a doubt lead to dying young; while I don’t doubt that it will increase the risk of all sorts of nasty things the perception that it’s guaranteed to really does seem like scare tactics. And some distinction really is needed between a obese chain smoker that goes to a greasy spoon a couple of times a week, never exercises and gets drunk most nights and the occasional smoker who other than enjoying the odd cigarette lives a healthy lifestyle.

You might have a point if we were a communist country with no internet or external sources and EVERYTHING censored..

Scare tactics could help justify large taxes on cigarettes... however, we're not communist (though some think we are) and there are plenty of external objective sources of information that can show the damages of smoking...

I think the Japanese life expectancy is mainly diet..
  • Options
    You'd think with the pension crisis at the moment the government wouldn't be so quick to start banning things which are likely to shorten our life spans.

Also, is it really true that smoking in the house of lords hasn't been banned?
  • Options
    You'd think with the pension crisis at the moment the government wouldn't be so quick to start banning things which are likely to shorten our life spans. Also, is it really true that smoking in the house of lords hasn't been banned?
    Probably. Remember, the more peers that smoke, the quicker they die, and the sooner Blair gets to stuff it full of cronies. See, he thinks of everything. ;)
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    You might have a point if we were a communist country with no internet or external sources and EVERYTHING censored..

Scare tactics could help justify large taxes on cigarettes... however, we're not communist (though some think we are) and there are plenty of external objective sources of information that can show the damages of smoking...

I think the Japanese life expectancy is mainly diet..

I might have a point if? No, I do have a point.

Japan has a higher life expectancy and far lower cancer mortality rate than dozens of other countries with lower proportions of smokers.

Forgetting China which has a lower cancer mortality rate (although also a lower life expectancy than Western nations) my point still stands as displayed by the differences between the West and Japan. Unless I’m missing something the general message from the anti-smoking lobby seems to be that smokers are guaranteed to develop all kinds of nasty illnesses and assured to die young. I don’t doubt smoking increases the chances of cancer and such but it’s not the only factor – as you mention the explanation for high Japanese life expectancy is probably diet.

Also, interestingly the smoking ban is largely the result of intense lobbying by pharmaceutical companies – a major player in this lobbying effort being Pfizer. And guess what Pfizer make? Nicorette. Hence by making life uncomfortable for smokers and making more want to give up Nicorette sales increase and Pfizer make fatter profits.