Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Total Smoking Ban Passed!

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think they should be put in prison, I think they should be put outside the door so the room can smell nice again.

And if it's MY room?

Who are you to tell me what to do in my own house, in my own business?

If you don't like the service I provide, don't come.
    The people voluntarily going there (now the ban is being put in place) would not expect to see smokers, as it's not allowed... so them going there of their free will doesn't imply they knew ppl would be smoking.

I am afraid you have missed what the government is and how it operates. the "ban" will only be made to happen through threats, intimidation, kidnap, physical abuse and caging.

All government action is violent. They send threats, then they send more threats, then they send people to force you to obey.

It's either directly violent, or it's paid for with money that has been acquired through violence.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    And if it's MY room?

Who are you to tell me what to do in my own house, in my own business?

If you don't like the service I provide, don't come.

I am afraid you have missed what the government is and how it operates. the "ban" will only be made to happen through threats, intimidation, kidnap, physical abuse and caging.

All government action is violent. They send threats, then they send more threats, then they send people to force you to obey.

It's either directly violent, or it's paid for with money that has been acquired through violence.

any other methods you suggest?

once we have voted them in they have to keep power somehow... it's better than not getting the chance to vote at all.
  • Options
    any other methods you suggest?

You mean apart from letting people decide for themselves what they will do?

i.e. leaving people alone unless they ask for your "help".
    once we have voted them in they have to keep power somehow... it's better than not getting the chance to vote at all.

And if no one voted they would stop using force to tell us what to do? :rolleyes:

There are limited uses for men with guns. Just my opinion. Catching criminals, defending aganist outside invaders, sure. Harrassing ordinary people at work and play? No thanks.
  • Options
    You mean apart from letting people decide for themselves what they will do?

Could do that.. Most would decide to exploit this system I think you'll find..

You say the threats are what makes the system work... then people that were worried about consequence would lose than inhibition and just do what they wanted (build anywhere, take whatever they wanted... why pay for things when that isnt what you want to do? ...noone would be there to enforce it)
  • Options
    just remember, doesnt matter who you meet in the street, or vote into power, or have the ability to say you have met in your life, there are always worse, and always better people, than the said person in question
  • Options
    you'll still be able to smoke in jail.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    oh and maybe the response did seem a little pissed off, seeing as you question stupid things, you're like a child. WHY would passive smoking be any better than smoking (no filter, all the shit going into ure lungs), I can't even believe u are trying to argue this.. :no:

Have YOU ever noticed how inquisitive a child can be ? I find it beautiful to behold. Watch their eyes especially and imagine what is going through their minds. "SCHOOL" attempts to kill that. ( "School" used as a verb means "to bring under control" but I think that is a discussion for another thread).

What "stupid" thing have I questioned ? What am I "trying to argue" ? :confused: Some have made statements in this thread claiming that "passive smoking" kills and I asked for the evidence for those statements,as I`m not aware of any.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    The same amount of NHS bills that smokers cause..... in 'violence injuries' .. That amount of violence should do.

so -£9bn then. You'd give them that much?

You see you have fallen into the trap which suggests that smokers "cost" the taxpayer, when in reality it's the other way around.

If anything smokers should be asking why they should continue to fund your healthcare, and once again I'm going to have to point out that non-smoker get ill every day (more of them die than smokers too ;) ) and they have longer lives.
  • Options
    i think non smokers see smokers as idle people,that cant be arsed to quit or something.smoking has been a part of the pub culture for a long time,and will in itself be a hard habbit to break for smokers.they should have worked a parcial ban policy imo.if smokers are made to feel like lepers,then it will just kill what little bit of tolerance there is left in society.
  • Options
    so -£9bn then. You'd give them that much?

You see you have fallen into the trap which suggests that smokers "cost" the taxpayer, when in reality it's the other way around.

If anything smokers should be asking why they should continue to fund your healthcare, and once again I'm going to have to point out that non-smoker get ill every day (more of them die than smokers too ;) ) and they have longer lives.

No no, just the bills, not the revenue :)

And the shit they put others through by smoking near them, giving them health problems and making them uncomfortable...

Why should they fund my healthcare? I don't know, they haven't funded anything for me yet. If they need nicotine that much can't they just go for the gum and hold a pencil in their hand or something? It won't piss everyone else off.

Plus the only reason more non-smokers die is because there are more of them lol! I think it's pretty sick that the government benefit from people's addictions like that but hey... Also, as you say, non smokers live longer... that just means they're paying more tax and have generally not been taking up the hospital beds.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    No no, just the bills, not the revenue :)

Ah, the "cake and eat it" syndrome ;)
    Why should they fund my healthcare? I don't know, they haven't funded anything for me yet.

Except maybe your birth, and any other time you have used healthcare - you know GP for example...?
    Plus the only reason more non-smokers die is because there are more of them lol!

:)

The point I was making was that being a smoker isn't the only thing which will kill you, or make you ill. But it's one of the few things which you will ban for doing so.
    Also, as you say, non smokers live longer... that just means they're paying more tax and have generally not been taking up the hospital beds.

Not taking up beds? Who do you think is in them then, just smokers?

Like I said, non-smokers get ill too... but if you take away the tax revenue from smoking, you are left with a gap but an increased cost as those people who would have died from smoking live longer and therefore use more services, require their own state pension etc