Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'Quiet' people

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What about life experience? Maybe the quiet ones don't have as much life experience as the older more outgoing people, so they don't have much to talk about that would interest those that know more about the world or have lived a bit more than the shy/quiet people?

I've always been a quiet person, but like people have said already, getting a job helped me come out of my shell more. My first proper job was in retail so I had to talk to people I didn't know everyday and be confident in what I was selling :D
  • Options
    I'm a quiet person relatively... Even worse now because I no longer trust anybody and have lost a fair bit of confidence. I normally don't perceive quiet people as rude... Maybe sometimes a bit shy or introvert. You tend to find that quiet people can be very interesting to talk to... A lot of loud people can get annoying.
  • Options
    its not one or the other though (quiet or loud). i'm sure most people are just inbetween.
  • Options
    Well i used to be quite shy until i left school then my 'real' self came through.
    Most of my past girlfriends have all been quite out-going until i met Catherine, who is quite quiet and shy until you get to know her, and she is the best things thats ever happened to me :D. So no, i dont persieve quiet or shy people as rude at all
  • Options
    I'm painfully shy, it takes a lot to get me out of my shell. Which is a shame because I can be very entertaining company.
  • Options
    Better to keep quiet and have everyone think you're stupid, than open your mouth, and remove all question. :D

I think most people are quiet in the company of people they don't know, then get a bit louder as they get to know people. I now make a conscious effort to talk to people I don't know if I'm in a group of friends' friends, for example, and preferably try to bring other people into the conversation. I find alcohol makes most people more sociable and more likely to let their 'real' personality come out without fear that they'll appear stupid.

I think it's largely genetic, since it's quite obvious to see in schools for example, that certain children take the lead and are more sociable. Of course the more you're left out, the more shy you end up becoming, I guess.
  • Options
    I agree with lipsy. I'm in the middle. I'm loud and a giggly when with friends/had a vodka/in a relaxed environment. But i still listen and i still watch people even when like this. I prefer to be aware of my surroundings in case of trouble. Or because i'm paranoid ;) If i was in a meeting with people i don't know or when i've been somewhere on my own and was required to wait i tend to be very quiet and people have said i come across as an up my arse cow that looks down her nose. Probably true in some respects :yes: I get very like that when on a night out. It puts off the drunken numpties.

I don't find that i get annoyed with shy/quiet people, i know how hard it is from when i was younger. Sometimes though if someone is a lot quieter than me i find it hard if they don't even attempt to reply to questions or just say hello as then i end up feeling a numtpy and think ive upset them.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    IMO being shy or being quiet can potentially be two completely different things.

Shy people are quiet by their very nature, but quiet people are often not shy. This is why it can be so freakin annoying if you're quiet, but not shy, and people start to comment on it.

Special K - I've never been able to work out why people feel the need to make that comment - or what they gain from it - can anyone answer that question? Perhaps it's because they feel uncomfortable with the quietness? But it's not really a good way to start a conversation is it?

You can be happily getting on with your life and then someone tells you "oh you're a bit quiet" and you suddenly feel self-conscious about it when it may have never occured to you before. I agree with what's been said already that sometimes people who are quiet giving off an air of mystique, and actually being pretty interesting people if you give them a chance. They're usually good listeners too.

On the other hand, it's commonly believed that if you're shy, then you would actually benefit from breaking out of your shell a bit. Hell we've even got an article on it :)
  • Options
    In my Sixth From, I was nominated as quietest male, which surprised me a little. I aksed people about it and some said no way was I quiet and others said yeah for sure.

I think I am more quiet in new situations and around new people, but with people I know I talk more and am more negaing and fun and louder.

kind of half and half I guess.
  • Options
    It makes sense though that with people you know you are going to be more comfortable with being yourself, not being afraid ot say something for fear of sounding stupid etc. I look at my work situation, i've been theor for over a month now and i'm still not 100% confident around them, but i'm getting there.

I'm half & half i guess too. Surrounded by friends i am the complete opposite of if i'm put in other situations.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    My last serious girlfriend was very quiet.
    She'd come out with my mates and their birds but she'd say fuck all. It wasn't that she was shy, she just didn't say or do much. Although she was stunning and a lovely girl, she was boring, and it pissed me off. In the end she had to jel.

that's a shame but I guess that's what happens when you pick someone only for their looks.... unless of course she was very talkative around you?

Perhaps her inability to talk was because she wasn't yet comfortable enough with your friends?
  • Options
    I'm quiet and I always get paranoid that people think I'm a bitch because of it. I guess when I DO talk it removes that idea from their head because I come across as very shy. I blush at the slightest thing and no it isn't 'cute blushing' as in a tinge. Its all over red faced, ears balloonfulness. I haaate it so much. Sometimes I wonder if I'm TOO shy as in bordering on the unhealthy. I avoid places I dont know very well and I actually like meeting new people but I get nervous beforehand. Which is why y'all have to be nice to me at the MEET.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    90% of the people said I looked bitchy and stuck up.
    How very perceptive of them! I'm impressed they could tell that about you after just 5 minutes :p
  • Options
    I've love to be more confident when I 1st meet people.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    How very perceptive of them! I'm impressed they could tell that about you after just 5 minutes :p

I'm not stuck up :(;)

Around people I dont know I dont say much. Nearly everybody at work thinks I'm mute :p Everybody at school thought the same. I'll say hi and stuff but thats it, speak when spoken to. Just stay to myself.

Unless you know me very well. (Or I'm on the internet ;)) Then normally I'm very loud, joking all the time, rude (in a good way) and of course, bitchy ;)
  • Options
    Response

hi,

Just saw your post and thought i would reply, I am a confident 24yrd student and am a shy person and am quiet as well especially when meeting new people at first.

But I think over people make assumptions because of this i myself have found. Some people have responded by saying that i am arrogant,boring, that kind of thing and at times it can become annoying and frustrating.

Anyway see what you think....

jj1006
  • Options
    Im really quiet myself and only really open up once I get to know someone. or unless Ive had a few drinks.

I dont mind loud people but TOO loud can sometimes get a little annoying and 'too much' over-powering.
  • Options
    Sorry, I didn't hear that.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Which is why y'all have to be nice to me at the MEET.
    Of course we will!

I'm quiet. Well, I was quiet. I'm painfully quiet when I'm in a group of new people, especially when there's people I know around. I'm fine for one-to-one, but groups just freak me out.

I've found that now I've managed to come out of myself more at college and stuff, people notice when I go back to being quiet and how I used to be. I'm not *shy* as such, but I just don't really want to make a fool of myself. Particularly if I'm not 100% sure I know what I'm talking about.

I don't know if people see me as stuck up or not. I'm not rude, and I do join in conversation properly if I want to, or if I have something to say, but if I don't, I just tend to sit there and listen and keep myself to myself. I dunno. Does that look stuck up? Maybe...
  • Options
    Shy people are quiet by their very nature, but quiet people are often not shy. This is why it can be so freakin annoying if you're quiet, but not shy, and people start to comment on it.

I agree with this completely, I'm quiet but i dont cosnider myself to be shy. I consider shyness as being scared of talking to people. Im just naturally quiet and dont feel the need to fill every silence with chatter and talk for the sake of talking.

You can be happily getting on with your life and then someone tells you "oh you're a bit quiet" and you suddenly feel self-conscious about it when it may have never occured to you before. I agree with what's been said already that sometimes people who are quiet giving off an air of mystique, and actually being pretty interesting people if you give them a chance. They're usually good listeners too.

Exactly! It really gets to me more than anything else when people comment on it, its like saying to someone whos overweight, "oh you're a bit fat." Feels like people are judging you, but generally people can't change their personalities and I know I will always be quiet, and likewise, someone who is loud will always be loud.

Just wanted to get peoples opinions on whether they viewed 'quietness' as being a bad thing really and I guess a lot of people do which is a shame!
  • Options
    im reeeally quiet... and i really wish i wasnt!!
    since ive got to uni ive got a bit better and i find it easier to make conversation and meet new people, but its still very hard!!
    even when im around friends back home i dont talk much - but im better when its on a one to one basis rather than in a big group!!

i always feel like whatever i say sounds stupid! so even if i have a comment to make or want to say something i dont because i dont like the attention i get when i say it!!
    im actually a lot better when it comes to girls rather than boys.. if a boy starts talking to me i blush beetroot and start to stammer and get all... bad!! i cant help it!! that probably explains why ive never had a proper boyfriend... i only ever meet boys when im pissed (when i talk more)

hmmm i wish i was loud
  • Options
    With friends I am talkative and confident, and professionally I'm confident and talkative. I can deal with the phone fine, I'm good at dealing with professional talking.

With people I don't know I'm not very good. I'm a bit shy, and I am quiet. I'm a lot better than I used to be, working in an office where everyone was a character really made me come out of my shell. But if I don't have anything to say I won't say anything, and I don't feel comfortable just butting into group conversations.

Being shy and being quiet are two different things. Most new people are shy deep down, but some people are better than others at hiding it. I've become a lot better at hiding shyness and fear because I've had jobs where you can't be shy and quiet- you can't be shy if you're in a prison dealing with a client, and you can't be quiet with office colleagues who are all very loud and outgoing.
  • Options
    Special_K wrote:
    For those who dont consider themselves or are not considered to be quiet or shy, how do you percieve people who are? Do you not notice them as much as louder people? Do you find them boring/rude/weird? Have u had a relationship with soemone who is quiet and found it difficult?

Im asking because Ive always been a quiet person and lately people seem to be commenting on it...Im finding it quite offensive and im not sure whether i should be.
    I'm perceived as quiet by many. When they comment on it, I often take offence and that's the point which they see I'm not quiet anymore at all! I've been called boring/rude/weird before, as well as a heap of other things. And do you know what? I don't care. I don't give a toss how most people perceive me, the only people I'm prepared to take any personal criticism from is friends and family. Truth is, only some people are worth listening to.
  • Options

I don't agree with this ... they aren't quiet by their nature as a lot of people really dont WANT to be quiet (and when they are being themselves are not quiet at all) ... it's just stupid inhibitions and whatever else that are preventing them from being themselves...

But otherwise I agree ... quiet / introverted ppl are often not shy.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    I don't agree with this ... they aren't quiet by their nature as a lot of people really dont WANT to be quiet (and when they are being themselves are not quiet at all) ... it's just stupid inhibitions and whatever else that are preventing them from being themselves...
    For me, I worry about various things... will people think I have a silly voice, will they laugh at what I say, will they laugh at the sight of me talking... that sort of stuff.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    For me, I worry about various things... will people think I have a silly voice, will they laugh at what I say, will they laugh at the sight of me talking... that sort of stuff.

Yeah everyone has different things they worry about ... but that still doesn't mean you are quiet by nature if you appear that way (because of the reasons you said)... If u worry then you clearly are wanting to talk etc but don't for one reason or another... when ure somewhere/with someone you can be comfortable with maybe you're less quiet? ... and prefer when u feel like that..
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    I don't agree with this ... they aren't quiet by their nature as a lot of people really dont WANT to be quiet

I'm quite often quiet because that's what I am. If I have nothing to say I don't say anything.

I am a bit shy, but not horrendously, not anymore. But I like doing quiet things. I like doing solitary things. Not always, but I don't agree that all quiet people are shy souls. I don't think I am especially.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm very quiet/shy... I didn't use to be when I was a kid, but that's a story for another night.

When talking to people I don't speak much, I tend to not find something to say, or I might think "They know each other better than they know me or I know them, won't I be intruding if I was to say something?" and so I rarely get to know new ones. That's what I'm trying to fix.
    When talking to people I know though I speak more, but not as much as others.

I guess I do come across as rude often... Today I went there and started talking to ones I know wll without saying "Hello" to others I know but not as well... Not sure why. :(
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I get that too.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm quite often quiet because that's what I am. If I have nothing to say I don't say anything.

I am a bit shy, but not horrendously, not anymore. But I like doing quiet things. I like doing solitary things. Not always, but I don't agree that all quiet people are shy souls. I don't think I am especially.

Yeah ... I was trying to put across that shy people's nature isn't necessarily being quiet, it is a different thing really...

But i do agree with you, read the rest of the post you quoted ;p
This discussion has been closed.