Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Denmark and the Islamic Cartoons ...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is no doubt that there is nasty political strand of Islam (more properly Islamism), but to insinuate that Islam as a whole (which of course ignores that there are many differing interpretaions) is incompatible with western values (which of course ignores that there are also many different interpretations) is just plain stupid.
  • Options
    Unfortunately there are some Muslims who live in the West who instead of accepting fundamental Western values like freedom of expression wish to see the backward and archaic repression seen in many Muslim states replicated in the West. This was displayed by the behaviour of many Muslims towards Salmon Rushdie.

Comparisons with Christianity don’t really seem relevant;

What about all the recent lobbying by Christians to have Jery Springer the Opera banned?

They certainly don't seem to believe in freedom of expression............
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    What about all the recent lobbying by Christians to have Jery Springer the Opera banned?

They certainly don't seem to believe in freedom of expression............

To be fair to Christianity the producers of Jerry Spronger the Opera aren't in hiding protected by Special Branch bodyguards
  • Options
    What remote connection to "Christianity" do either Jerry Springer, Oprah or their producers possess, NQA?

Both are products of secular society, not a devoutly religious one.
  • Options
    Wasn't it called "Jerry Springer the Opera" and the comparisson was with the producers of that opera and salmon rushdie who special branch officers had to protect when he was granted asylum in the UK, not jerry springer or oprah and their producers? But that is semantics...

Salmon Rushdie was fantastic, writing a book which said Allah fucked his mother...what a way to make a living!
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Wasn't it called "Jerry Springer the Opera" and the comparisson was with the producers of that opera and salmon rushdie who special branch officers had to protect when he was granted asylum in the UK, not jerry springer or oprah and their producers? But that is semantics...

Salmon Rushdie was fantastic, writing a book which said Allah fucked his mother...what a way to make a living!

Allah - or Muhammed? :confused:
  • Options
    What remote connection to "Christianity" do either Jerry Springer, Oprah or their producers possess, NQA?

Both are products of secular society, not a devoutly religious one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4654110.stm

Seek and ye shall find.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Allah - or Muhammed? :confused:
    I thought it was Allah, because Mohammed was long dead by then, but i can not remember right now.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Of course they are offensive, but we have freedom to be offensive in that manner ot who we want in the west. Well, we are meant to have, anyway.

Oh well. Yet again current Politics shows itself to be a confused mess, do we want to offend X or Y? Or shall we fail to try to keep both happy?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Actually you are wrong. Jesus (on whose words any true Christian would base their actions) stated "Love you enemies" and "Forgive those that trespass against you" etc - like the family of Anthony Walker.

Islam instructs Muslims to kill their enemies ... that the killing of an unbeliever is a good thing etc.
    Have you heard of the Old Testament???
  • Options
    But at least some good news at home:

Government surprise defeat in Commons over anti-hatred bill

Hooray! :D
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Yes. Have you heard of Jesus? He has a different angle on things.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    I thought it was Allah, because Mohammed was long dead by then, but i can not remember right now.

Allah is the Islamic term for 'god' so I think you were looking for Mohammed ...
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    Yes. Have you heard of Jesus? He has a different angle on things.
    And yet, funnily enough, Christian fundies choose to ignore the teachings on Jesus and concentrate on the violence and nastiness.

The point is Teagan that both religions have good points and bad points, almost to an indentical degree. Fundies and extremists choose to concentrate on the bad points for their own gain/agenda. That's all.
  • Options
    Comparisons with Christianity don’t really seem relevant; to be honest they just come across as trying to excuse the behaviour of some Muslims taking away attention from them and claiming Christians are as bad, if not worse. It’s interesting because I don’t recall even the most fundamentalist Christians responding to Dan Brown in the way Muslims did to Salmon Rushdie…

Been to Middle America lately? I quote from Ann Coulter, well known American TV show host "we should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert their people to Christianity". And she is one of the more moderate. People like Jerry Falwell, Phelps and Pat Robertson are no different to the mad Ayatollahs after the revolution in Iran, except they are white and Christian.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:
    Been to Middle America lately? I quote from Ann Coulter, well known American TV show host "we should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert their people to Christianity". And she is one of the more moderate. People like Jerry Falwell, Phelps and Pat Robertson are no different to the mad Ayatollahs after the revolution in Iran, except they are white and Christian.
    :yippe: Yay, a crusade! We haven't had one of those in a while.
  • Options
    Cain wrote:

applause1yu.gif
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    applause1yu.gif

thankyouthankyou.gif
  • Options
    which of course ignores that there are many differing interpretaions

Thats just it. There isnt.

Muslims believe thaqt the Quran is the absolute word of God - not to be interpreted in any way except that which it is written.

The Christian west had something called the Enlightenment in which the bible was subject to rational critiscism.

You all know perfectly well what I am talking about.

Islam is an odious creed, much worse and far less tolerant than Christianity.
  • Options

Muslims believe thaqt the Quran is the absolute word of God - not to be interpreted in any way except that which it is written.

The Christian west had something called the Enlightenment in which the bible was subject to rational critiscism.

Islam had that too, about 1000 years ago. They had scientists in the caliphate who calculated the distance to the moon and could quote from memory the works of Aristotle and Plato. Islamic fundamentalism is a recent phenomena, founded in thought by the Egyptian Muslim Brotherhood. Until the late 70s and early80s, the main driving force in the Middle East was nationalism, with Islam very much seen as a private thing.

And there are still people in the western world (usually called southern Baptists) who say the Bible is the literall word of God. Last time I checked there millions of such people, in the nation that was BASED on Enlightenment thought.
  • Options

Wrong. Some Muslims do. And some don't. Just like the Christians.

Have you ever met a Muslim?

Islam is an odious creed
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Nope! i meant Allah, he was saying God fucked his mother, not Mohammed the prohet! Im sure thats what he said.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Wrong. Some Muslims do. And some don't. Just like the Christians.

Have you ever met a Muslim?

Oh dear oh dear oh dear... :rolleyes:
    :lol: Who didn't expect that post though?

Ah well. One day, he might realise all Religions are much the same.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

the new testament effectively says to forget about the eye for an eye stuff by the way
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    And yet, funnily enough, Christian fundies choose to ignore the teachings on Jesus and concentrate on the violence and nastiness.

The point is Teagan that both religions have good points and bad points, almost to an indentical degree. Fundies and extremists choose to concentrate on the bad points for their own gain/agenda. That's all.

Too true! Christianity would be a actually be quite a cool religon if it wasn't for the Christians .. ;)
  • Options
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear...

I would have thought you would agree, being a militant atheist yourself.
  • Options
    I think all religions are bollocks in terms of what they claim about the origins of life, deities and rules that must be obeyed in order to go to 'paradise', and I have a problem with a fair amount of messages given out in them, but I don't see any of the big three despicable or odious as a whole so long as those who follow it don't bother the rest of us with it.

I also think singleing out one religion but not the others isn't much fair, since there is little to separate them.

The problem lies with those who choose certain passages to manipulate and dictate the lives of others whether they adhere to the beliefs or not, or to oppress, kill, steal land or wage war on others under such cover. And such people exist in all main three religions, not just Islam.
  • Options
    I would have thought you would agree, being a militant atheist yourself.

I think the point of that is, ALL Religions are bad. Not just Islam... (Indeed, most REligions preach practically the same things anyway).
  • Options
    Cain wrote:

There are extreme Christians. Although no Christians in recent memory to the best of my knowledge reacted to a book in the way so many Muslims did to Salmon Rushdie’s The Satanic Verses.

I’m not a Christian but it’s a plain lie to claim the extreme elements of Christianity and Islam are as bad as each other. I have nothing against Muslims or Islam in general but the creed of Islam, or ‘Islamofascism’ that many Muslims practice is incompatible with values such as freedom of expression.
  • Options

You're wrong Mat and you know it so quit stirring shit.