Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shoplifting

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i have had some very geep spiritual and mystical experiences on drugs ...i hope to have more.
    it's not all just about being off your tits at all!
    but ...all these years down the road i have to shit and shave like every other man. i have all of lifes problems to deal with like any other man.
    yes drugs can and do give deep insight but ...i still don't know how to feed the hungry ...
    i can't pull rabbits out of hats or walk on water.
    in fact ...my deep spiritual and mystical experiences are no more than holidays in space ...trips.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I've used drugs, legal and otherwise. Not always extensively, you're right.

You get the feeling of being off your tits, its no more meaningful than that. Is it now. It's very pleasurable and very entertaining, and you can feel you're being deep and meaningful, but its just being off your tits. There's nothing deep or meaningful to it.

Illegal drugs are no different to drugs such as alcohol, you can feel that you are being deep, that you're on top of the world, but all it is is a chemically altered state. Whoop de doo.

Which is of course only your limited personal experience.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, it can do.

So why try to create an argument then? No-one's suggested taking an E will definitely open the door to a lifelong friendship with someone. It may, it may not - but the scope is certainly there.

It can also create lots of false feelings and fake friendships too.

Certainly.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    So people who've never taken MDMA aren't empathic? Eh?

See this is what I was talking about earlier on in the thread. Where have I said that people who've never taken MDMA aren't empathic? Absolutely nowhere.

Drugs can give you experiences that you couldn't get by any other means. That was my point.

And sometimes it is much more than simply beng off your tits. Drugs have had a very big effect on my life. My many experiences with ecstasy have made me a far more tolerent and confident person, of that I'm sure.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    See this is what I was talking about earlier on in the thread. Where have I said that people who've never taken MDMA aren't empathic? Absolutely nowhere.

Drugs can give you experiences that you couldn't get by any other means. That was my point.

And sometimes it is much more than simply beng off your tits. Drugs have had a very big effect on my life. My many experiences with ecstasy have made me a far more tolerent and confident person, of that I'm sure.
    and i am a much more tolerant person than i would have been if i had chosen alcohol as my drug of choice.
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

It was an implication of your statement.
    Skive wrote:

Yes, they can do. It doesn't necessarily follow.
    Skive wrote:

A lot of the time its totally false. How many real friends have you made through gurning yer tits off? Real friends who you can count on in a crisis, call at 3am when feeling down? Not many I bet.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    A lot of the time its totally false. How many real friends have you made through gurning yer tits off? Real friends who you can count on in a crisis, call at 3am when feeling down? Not many I bet.

Not many, but I can say I am considerably closer to several of my friends and have had mates who've worked through problems very effectively with it.
  • Options
    I'm not arguing that it can happen. Its not purely a result of the drug though. See my point earlier about what happened when E hit the US hip hop scene...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote:
    It was an implication of your statement.

No it wasn't. You were just being awkward.

Blagsta wrote:
    Yes, they can do.

Yes, that's what I said.

Blagsta wrote:

Well obviously it takes more than sharing drug experiences to be real mates but that's not the point I was making, my experiences with ecstasy have made me a more tolerent and confident person even after the effects of the drug have worn off.

Do you believe ecstasy could be useful in counseling?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Yes, I do believe MDMA could be useful in psychotherapy. What I've been arguing against on here is the assertion that drug use = "life experience" (whatever that means). It doesn't.
  • Options
    Yes, I do believe MDMA could be useful in psychotherapy

That's the approach that got Timothy Leary in so much trouble.
    What I've been arguing against on here is the assertion that drug use = "life experience" (whatever that means). It doesn't.

Yep, it's the individual that makes it. Johnny Vegas makes me piss my sides when he's had a few. Does that mean if you get pissed you can do stand up?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I'm not arguing that it can happen. Its not purely a result of the drug though. See my point earlier about what happened when E hit the US hip hop scene...

I don't the see the logic behind that...if you become closer to someone from taking E, that's purely a result of the drug. The context being underground cultural revolution or whatever is surely an irrelevence to how the drugs affects relationships, other than drawing together a broadly like-minded crowd.
  • Options
    "It is not what you experience in life,
    it is what you do with those experiences."
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I don't the see the logic behind that...if you become closer to someone from taking E, that's purely a result of the drug. The context being underground cultural revolution or whatever is surely an irrelevence to how the drugs affects relationships, other than drawing together a broadly like-minded crowd.

How can it be "purely a result of the drug"? That makes no sense. Its an interaction between the drug, the personalities of the people who took the drug (and all their experiences etc that make up those personalities), the expectations of the drug experience (made up of previos experiences, talking to friends, social discourse, culture, music, the media etc), the dynamic between the two people, the environment they're in etc etc.
  • Options
    "It is not what you experience in life,
    it is what you do with those experiences."
    Where did you get that quote? It's beautiful.
  • Options
    I thought this thread was about shoplifting, and jumped to the last page and its about drug use? Kinda fits snugly with the stereotype that drug users are connected with stealing / shoplifting / crime in general. Not that Im saying or implying they are.

As for shoplifting, what I was going to add is thats its a short term solution to a long term problem. If nobody ever shoplifted I expect markets would be more 'harmonious' and prices may come down, so those who cant afford could now afford, etc. etc.
  • Options
    If nobody shoplifted, prices would come down? Eh? :chin:
  • Options
    As for shoplifting, what I was going to add is thats its a short term solution to a long term problem. If nobody ever shoplifted I expect markets would be more 'harmonious' and prices may come down, so those who cant afford could now afford, etc. etc.

I'm not quite sure where you got that from. Could you elaborate a bit more?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    If nobody shoplifted, prices would come down? Eh? :chin:

I mean, I was just thinking, shoplifting is obviously a cost, and that works it way up, and so prices must be more expensive (in theory) to cover shoplifting. If there was none, then theoretically speaking, prices will drop as the costs drop (either new shops open because they can now make a profit, or whatever). Not sure if it would work in practice, but over a long time....

But then theres shoplifting for goods to survive and shoplifting for luxury goods. I think one is justifiable and the other is not. But then it becomes more complex when you need to steal expensive items to sell to afford to pay the rent. This is confusing me, what a fucked up world we live in.

I'm against shoplifting, yes, its wrong. But if you need to steal to eat, then what else can you do. I would never like to live in a society where we dont let people eat, sleep safely or anything just because they dont have money, because thats one of the most inconsequential things of all.

Another way of looking at it is that its predominantly poor people stealing from predominantly rich people, so maybe its a good thing in a redistribution of wealth that is needed in society. We have a wider gap now between the rich and the poor than at any time for the last half century. On a personal level, having things stolen also effects you in an emotional way, and the police must run investigations and all that, so the cost of shoplifting is higher than the cost of the item.

I personally wouldnt steal. But then, I have enough money so that when I need something I am able to get it.