Home Anything Goes
At The Mix, we want to make our services as helpful as we can. To do this, we’d love to ask you a few questions about you, your visit to The Mix and its impact. It should take only about 5-10 minutes to complete. Take this survey and get a chance at winning a £200 Amazon voucher​.
Come and join our Support Circle, every Tuesday, 8 - 9:30pm! Sign up here

Homeless people

124678

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have no idea why some people live on the streets.

    No. You don't. :mad:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    no i do not. i admit i have been lucky, but only because i've got a good family around me and always have a meal on the table. not because i've been pampered. i know all people don't have a good upbringing, i am not the ignorant piece of shit that you seem to think i am.

    My view is formed by your ignorant and offensive comments on here. You come across like a pampered spolit little brat.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote:
    I'm with you on the fact that the government ought to be the ones to turn to, and that they should help. I think, it would benefit people who are interested in having an informed opinion on this matter if they had a look at what 'help' there really is. For instance, imagine if you will that your loving family now, this very minute, decide to not be so loving, that in fact they hate you and think you're the devil's child, where would you go? I would guess that in the first instance you would spend your first night on a willing friend's sofa. These willing friends grow tired I can assure you, where then do you go? who do you phone? write to? visit? how do you phone them without a socket to charge your mobile phone, a penny to put in the phone box, a stamp for your non-existant envelope, bus fare to the council's desk, which when you walk there een though your friggin toe is brocken and hurts like buggery, proceed to tell you that homeless aplications are only dealt with between 9.15 and 10.20 so would you kindly return tomorrow with proof of your homeless status...


    thankyou for being reasonable. i'm much more willing to listen to people when they're not calling me all of the names under the sun!

    you make a point, and i can understand why people end up on the streets because some people really do have nothing. however, my point was i can't see how i could end up like that. yes perhaps my view is slightly narrow minded that there is generally always help out there. but it's the view that i get from the stories i read/things i see.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    No. You don't. :mad:


    Why get so mad because I openly admit that I don't know why people live on the streets? I'm sure you don't know everyones reasoning.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jeez Blagsta no need to be so offensive to people man... I'm sure you could have made your point without so much abuse?

    I admit I don't know much about the homless but i do try and help by buying from Big Issue sellers and such.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thankyou for being reasonable. i'm much more willing to listen to people when they're not calling me all of the names under the sun!

    i find your views offensive in the extreme
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Renzo wrote:
    Jeez Blagsta no need to be so offensive to people man... I'm sure you could have made your point without so much abuse

    I find lucifer devils views very very offensive
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    So what exactly do people do that are homeless, addicted to drugs and such like who can't actively seek help or do anything to help themselves? I'm just asking out of interest.. You make it sound as though there is no help available for them but surely that can't be the case?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    My view is formed by your ignorant and offensive comments on here. You come across like a pampered spolit little brat.

    offensive? i put my point across in a much nicer way than you thankyou very much. i couldn't care if you think i'm ignorant - i can see how you'd think that from me saying that they should get off their backsides but that's MY opinion. okay so perhaps in reality they can't all get help but that was my general opinion. and no i'm not a spoilt brat. your comments would hurt if you knew me, but you don't. and i'm glad, which i'm sure you are too.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Renzo wrote:
    Jeez Blagsta no need to be so offensive to people man... I'm sure you could have made your point without so much abuse?

    I admit I don't know much about the homless but i do try and help by buying from Big Issue sellers and such.


    cheers. like i said before i would have time to listen to what he has to say if he wasn't so rude.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    i find your views offensive in the extreme

    maybe you did find them offensive. but why not speak to me about it in a rational and reasonable manner? if you speak to me like you did then i'm likely to think you're not someone worth listening to. yes, you made some good points. things i'll admit i didn't consider.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i give money to homeless people if they seem alright or if its freezing cold and theyre there shivering etc

    the ones who hassle you, if they hassle you say "ill buy you some food or drink if you want" and if they say nah he just wont give em anything :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is very little help. There are street outreach teams, but these are underfunded and overstretched. There are beds and detox for people in crisis (like City Roads in London), but these are overstretched. There are hostels, but often these are understaffed and underfunded. There are rehabs but there are long waiting times. Did you know, to be counted as street homeless in the official stats you have to be spotted on 3 consecutive nights sleeping in the same place? Thats why the street homeless figures are so low for London when every Londoner knows that there is a massive problem. A client of mine got thrown out of their hostel last week for allegedly drinking in there - which he denies and I believe him (despite the fact there are people OD'ing on heroin in there). He is now sleeping on the streets - the referring agencies he's seen so far refer to the hostel he's been thrown out of. All he wants is a place to sleep and study (he's at college).
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    maybe you did find them offensive. but why not speak to me about it in a rational and reasonable manner? if you speak to me like you did then i'm likely to think you're not someone worth listening to. yes, you made some good points. things i'll admit i didn't consider.

    Because your views make me absolutely fucking furious.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Because your views make me absolutely fucking furious.


    your above post is sooo much nicer see. ;)

    perhaps you could've educated me about my 'ignorance'. but now i have no time for you because you're a rude little fucker.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    thankyou for being reasonable. i'm much more willing to listen to people when they're not calling me all of the names under the sun!



    you make a point, and i can understand why people end up on the streets because some people really do have nothing. however, my point was i can't see how i could end up like that. yes perhaps my view is slightly narrow minded that there is generally always help out there. but it's the view that i get from the stories i read/things i see.



    Ok, so I guess you live in a four bed modern detached with front and back garden, double garage and you've converted the loft/cellar for extra space? Now imagine you get massive subsidence and a big crack appears in your wall. This crack spreads and the house gets condemmed. Now, the insurance company finds a pretty loop hole about your cellar conversion that you didn't delare and the payment you missed crimbo '98 becasue things were a bit tight and they gives ya NADA. Now, is that a situation you could imagine yourself in? where would you go then? who would you turn to? See, even the middle classes become homeless...

    Your posts are infuriating becasue even in the face of fresh evidence or opinion that you could research based upon, you don't seem to have changed you view at all.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    your above post is sooo much nicer see. ;)

    perhaps you could've educated me about my 'ignorance'. but now i have no time for you because you're a rude little fucker.

    I have no time for you because you're a spoilt little brat.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote:
    Ok, so I guess you live in a four bed modern detached with front and back garden, double garage and you've converted the loft/cellar for extra space? Now imagine you get massive subsidence and a big crack appears in your wall. This crack spreads and the house gets condemmed. Now, the insurance company finds a pretty loop hole about your cellar conversion that you didn't delare and the payment you missed crimbo '98 becasue things were a bit tight and they gives ya NADA. Now, is that a situation you could imagine yourself in? where would you go then? who would you turn to? See, even the middle classes become homeless...

    Your posts are infuriating becasue even in the face of fresh evidence or opinion that you could research based upon, you don't seem to have changed you view at all.


    no. i rent a 3 bedroom terraced house with no gardens and no garage using my student loan money.

    i have read that blagsta said in 1 of his previous posts, and i didn't know any of that. and like i've said numerous times i would have time to listen to what he has to say if he had time to listen to my opinion and not judge me solely based on it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    I have no time for you because you're a spoilt little brat.


    how am i a spoilt brat for godsake? i have never been spoilt in my life. for starters i've had a job since i was 13 (okay so it was a paper round but i've always worked since i was able to). yes, whoopeedoo, i have a job. but it means i pay my way. therefore am not spoilt.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Moving on from the abuse and counter-abuse, if you would like to help the homeless by donating to one of the charities you can do so here:

    St Mungo's Housing Projects

    Shelter

    Buy Christmas presents here and donate to Shelter too
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    how am i a spoilt brat for godsake? i have never been spoilt in my life. for starters i've had a job since i was 13 (okay so it was a paper round but i've always worked since i was able to). yes, whoopeedoo, i have a job. but it means i pay my way. therefore am not spoilt.

    You assume that just because you can cope with life, then others must be able to. That attitude winds the fuck out of me. Having been homeless (although never on the streets thankfully) and now working with people who are recovering from drug and alcohol problems (the majority of which have been or still are homeless), attitudes like yours really fuck me off.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    You assume that just because you can cope with life, then others must be able to. That attitude winds the fuck out of me. Having been homeless (although never on the streets thankfully) and now working with people who are recovering from drug and alcohol problems (the majority of which have been or still are homeless), attitudes like yours really fuck me off.


    yes, maybe that is what i think. and i'm sorry to hear about your experience. i really think it's a shame that you come across so rudely because from your posts i can see you know your stuff.

    but i'm off now, going to go ask my mummy to buy me a pony. :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I find the homeless charities really commendable but I would also see more social housing as a better long-term solution. I do not have all the answers, and know that funding for social housing is one of the major issues (um war funds?). Thing is, the social housing we do have is so overstretched that those governing it have to make really strict rules on how it is dispensed, if you don't fit a nice box or don't know all your legal options, it's ever so easy to get thrown out of the system and off the waiting lists etc.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You got Thatcher to blame for that one. The right to buy scheme was undoubtedly good news for a lot of working class families at the time. However, the long term effect has been to contribute to a massive rise in the amount homeless people and people in temporary accomodation. Also, iirc, the laws were changed on the funding of social housing making it very difficult for councils to build any more. The housing situation in London is a disgrace.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote:
    I find the homeless charities really commendable but I would also see more social housing as a better long-term solution. I do not have all the answers, and know that funding for social housing is one of the major issues (um war funds?). Thing is, the social housing we do have is so overstretched that those governing it have to make really strict rules on how it is dispensed, if you don't fit a nice box or don't know all your legal options, it's ever so easy to get thrown out of the system and off the waiting lists etc.
    "Social housing" is a difficult one because you skew the normal supply and demand situation, and most people in this country like to own a home rather than rent. But because decent housing in decent areas is unaffordable for even those in full time jobs, it is surely the supply of housing generally that needs sorting. And something urgently needs addressing wrt second homes. No one needs a second home, I'd argue, and there should be punitive disincentives to owning more than one home.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    sense and reason, thank you. I was getting soo mad I was going to have to do 50 star jumps and drink something stronger than milk to calm down. phew, breath easy.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When i was at uni I used to buy the big issue every month from this guy who I passed many times a day, Mainly so that he woulden't keep asking me! I bought him a wimpy too one day. If there's a good musician playing somewhere on the tube I'll sometimes unload some change on them, but most homeless people I tend to just ignore.

    I once got talked into giving money to charity. She was a cute chick and I coulden't say no, I stopped the direct debit the month after though.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote:
    Maybe he's got a mental health problem?



    or maybe he's just a horrible person? i wouldnt know but either way i dont think many ppl would give a stranger money if said stranger was drunk and shouting abuse at them, apart from anything else its scary for people to be in the situation where its night time and theres some random drunk shouting at them in the street! would you be so understanding if someone close to you was scared half to death by him? and would you give him money if he shouted at you in the street? im not saying i dont understand that he may be ill or have serious problems, im just saying it makes me wary.

    you're going on about everyone being so judgemental but you're judging everyone here on their opinions and experiences!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There's no point arguing with blagsta, you'll never win!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    There's no point arguing with blagsta, you'll never win!

    I noticed that. And people wonder why lots of people don't go in politics and debate?
Sign In or Register to comment.