Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Homeless people

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katralla wrote:
    It would be less offensive and your apology would be better recieved if it were made with reason, rather than just to stop an internet arguement. For instance, if you could possibly point out why the opinions were insulting and how now you thought differently, if you do at all? Otherwise, the apology is worthless. if you still feel the same way, insult still felt and apology not accepted.

I'm not sure who this is aimed at. :confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Its the underlying assumptions that piss me off. The assumptions that all homeless people need to do is to pull their socks up, stop whinging and being so lazy and everything will be alright. The assumption that, actually, we are all equal and all have equal life chances if only we worked hard enough. The assumption that your life is the same as everyone else's. The assumption that there is help and it is easy to access. The assumption that homeless people are all scary subhuman monsters. Its the sort of thinking that leads to pissed up city workers urinating and defecating on homeless people and sometimes setting them alight. And if you think that never happens, think again.

but if i don't work for an organisation such as yours how can i possibly know all the stats and figures? i base my opinions on what i know, what i see and what i'm told. that's all i can do. unless i want to sit and read the stats. it won't just be me who feels this way about (stereotypically) quite a few homeless people - i should think many people would've agreed with me and i could see why that would annoy you but to have just me voice my opinion and you react in such a way, you'd think you thought i was the only person with views such as mine.
  • Options
    well i'm sorry if i offended you so much. i was merely stating my opinion. just as you did. now end of.

it was aimed at this post. If someone wannts to apologise for their opinion or offensiveness it's plain silly if they still actually feel and think the things that were offensive.
  • Options
    but if i don't work for an organisation such as yours how can i possibly know all the stats and figures? i base my opinions on what i know, what i see and what i'm told. that's all i can do. unless i want to sit and read the stats. it won't just be me who feels this way about (stereotypically) quite a few homeless people - i should think many people would've agreed with me and i could see why that would annoy you but to have just me voice my opinion and you react in such a way, you'd think you thought i was the only person with views such as mine.

Nah that's just the way he is.

He calls Morocon Roll a cunt all the time and MR is the most respected in this place.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    it was aimed at this post. If someone wannts to apologise for their opinion or offensiveness it's plain silly if they still actually feel and think the things that were offensive.

no, i said i was sorry i offended him.

not sorry i said what i said.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    His above post pretty much sums everything up for me.

I didn't get this one? Are you refering to me? or blagsta?- I hope as Katralla is a guuurrrlll :chin:
  • Options

You base your opinions on fear, ignorance and having a comfortable lifestyle and not being able to think that a lot of people actually have a pretty raw deal from this society. Its your reactionary position that I find offensive. The fact that you "base opinions on what i know, what i see and what i'm told" - the fact that actually, you don't think it through, don't attempt to find out, don't attempt to see life from a different pov. Anyone different to you is scary, dangerous, lazy. That sort of thinking fucks me off.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Nah that's just the way he is.

He calls Morocon Roll a cunt all the time and MR is the most respected in this place.

tbf, mr also calls me a cunt
  • Options

this is the sort of attitude I'm talking about
  • Options
    The attitudes expressed by people on this thread about homeless people absolutely terrify me, and I will join Blagsta in being downright disgusted by them.

yeah, Blaggy shouldn't swear so much, but lucifer, you were chatting horrible bigoted shit. And that's the end of it.

When you have to professionally deal with these people, and try and help them, then you suddenly start to get another attitude on life. I work with the homeless, the alcoholics, the heroin addicts, because they are the ones who commit the crime to get by.

It is painful seeing the same people with the same addictions in the office every day, day in and day out.

Do you not think its reached a certain level where these people ghave to go out and deliberately commit criminal offences just so that they can have a roof over their head in December? Homeless people with mental and drug abuse issues get subject to ASBOs because they are "a nuisance", and don't you think its a fucking disgrace that the only way they can get a roof is by deliberately breaching it and getting a bed in prison?

Homeless hostels boot people out if they are drunk or have drug addictions. These are the most vulnerable people, and council hostels can't and won't deal with them.

Luicifer, much as ths swearing isn't desirable, your opinions on this thread have been hopelessly bigoted, and really quite offensive. I don't blame you, its so easy to believe in the bogeyman.

Until you deal with these people day in and day out its easy to believe the press. But they are people just like the rest of us, and there is always, for me, a bit of "but for the grace of God go I".
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You base your opinions on fear, ignorance and having a comfortable lifestyle and not being able to think that a lot of people actually have a pretty raw deal from this society. Its your reactionary position that I find offensive. The fact that you "base opinions on what i know, what i see and what i'm told" - the fact that actually, you don't think it through, don't attempt to find out, don't attempt to see life from a different pov. Anyone different to you is scary, dangerous, lazy. That sort of thinking fucks me off.

why should i fear something? i know many people in life have a raw deal, i know and have already said i've had a comfortable lifestyle. i appreciate that. and i appreciate that there are plenty of people who are worse off than me.
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    I didn't get this one? Are you refering to me? or blagsta?- I hope as Katralla is a guuurrrlll :chin:

I was reffering to blagstas post. He's right, people make too many assumptions based on subjective experiences, it's a bit like saying "blacks are animals and should be sent back to Africa because my mate got hit by a black last night"

Yes blagsta, that's because you are a cunt. :D
  • Options

But have you not changed your stance from the origonal post? Surely you now think differently from you did then?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

When you have to professionally deal with these people, and try and help them, then you suddenly start to get another attitude on life. I work with the homeless, the alcoholics, the heroin addicts, because they are the ones who commit the crime to get by.

but that's my point i made in another post. i don't deal with these people professionally, only a small % of the population do.
  • Options
    But you don't, for one second, think that you are wrong with your opinion?

Even when those of us who work with these people all the time suggest that you are looking at it from the wrong end of the stick?

Oh if only life were as easy as "pull your socks up and get a job, lazy fecker".
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    But have you not changed your stance from the origonal post? Surely you now think differently from you did then?

changing your thinking some what.

yes, i have read some stuff i didn't know. yes, i assumed help was out there if they wanted it and yes i have realised that that isn't always the case. but how would i know the help wasn't there if i didn't need to seek it? i can't help that, can i.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But you don't, for one second, think that you are wrong with your opinion?

Even when those of us who work with these people all the time suggest that you are looking at it from the wrong end of the stick?

Oh if only life were as easy as "pull your socks up and get a job, lazy fecker".

i accept that perhaps i did stereotype that all homeless people could do something about their situation and yes, i was wrong to do this.
  • Options
    why should i fear something?

I don't know, you tell me (although I could go off on one about "othering", "splitting", "projection" and other stuff from psychoanalysis, but I think it might confuse matters). However, you (and others on this thread) do seem to be scared by homeless people. Maybe its normal in some way - we project our fears into others so we don't have to worry about the possibility of being homeless (oops, I went into psychoanalyis).
    i know many people in life have a raw deal, i know and have already said i've had a comfortable lifestyle. i appreciate that. and i appreciate that there are plenty of people who are worse off than me.

But you don't though. If you did, you wouldn't come out with the crap that you have.
  • Options
    You don't need to work with homeless people to empathise.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:

Yes blagsta, that's because you are a cunt. :D

I'm comfortable with my cuntishness, thanks. :p
  • Options
    but that's my point i made in another post. i don't deal with these people professionally, only a small % of the population do.

I've only been working in the drugs field for 2 1/2 years. However, I didn't have your opinions when I was your age.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    You don't need to work with homeless people to empathise.

but i do empathise. i feel sorry for them that they're in that situation. but i also think sometimes there is a way out and yes, this post has made me realise that the help isn't that readily available.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I've only been working in the drugs field for 2 1/2 years. However, I didn't have your opinions when I was your age.

well that's fair enough, we all have differing opinions on things don't we. doesn't matter about my age.
  • Options
    but i do empathise. i feel sorry for them that they're in that situation.

Empathising and "feeling sorry" aren't the same thing. Not by a long shot.
    but i also think sometimes there is a way out and yes, this post has made me realise that the help isn't that readily available.

Yes, sometimes there is a way out. And yes, people do have to be ready to sort their lives out. But its way more complex than you seem to think.
  • Options

But with even the slightest thought you would have realised that it isn't a case of "get help, get a job, lazy sod".

I haven't been working in the criminal law for long, I won't be working in it for much longer, but I knew before what the crack was. Sure, working in this field opens some eyes, but still...
  • Options
    but i do empathise. i feel sorry for them that they're in that situation. but i also think sometimes there is a way out and yes, this post has made me realise that the help isn't that readily available.

If there's a way out then there's a way in, don't you think the experiences that got them into the situation in the first place will effect their ability to get out, the fact that there's no help readily available is a hinderence alright but it's more than just that.
  • Options
    well that's fair enough, we all have differing opinions on things don't we. doesn't matter about my age.

yeah, we do have differing opinions. but maybe basing your opinions on some knowledge rather than kneejerk reactionary bullshit might be an idea? I dunno where you live, but why don't you volunteer at a homeless shelter over Xmas? It might surprise you.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    yeah, we do have differing opinions. but maybe basing your opinions on some knowledge rather than kneejerk reactionary bullshit might be an idea? I dunno where you live, but why don't you volunteer at a homeless shelter over Xmas? It might surprise you.

i've done things for charity, i do realise there are people worse off than me believe it or not. and while this thread seems to have made me look ignorant about my attitudes about homeless people, i am not an ignorant person. i'll admit i lack knowledge about the issue but i'm sure i'm not alone in this. i don't know of any homeless shelters in my area but in my 3rd year at uni was hoping to do some volunteer work. would be something to consider, i guess.
  • Options
    The only way an "ignorant" person will be less ignorant is if they are educated.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The attitudes expressed by people on this thread about homeless people absolutely terrify me, and I will join Blagsta in being downright disgusted by them.

yeah, Blaggy shouldn't swear so much, but lucifer, you were chatting horrible bigoted shit. And that's the end of it.

It is painful seeing the same people with the same addictions in the office every day, day in and day out.

Do you not think its reached a certain level where these people ghave to go out and deliberately commit criminal offences just so that they can have a roof over their head in December? Homeless people with mental and drug abuse issues get subject to ASBOs because they are "a nuisance", and don't you think its a fucking disgrace that the only way they can get a roof is by deliberately breaching it and getting a bed in prison?

Homeless hostels boot people out if they are drunk or have drug addictions. These are the most vulnerable people, and council hostels can't and won't deal with them.

Luicifer, much as ths swearing isn't desirable, your opinions on this thread have been hopelessly bigoted, and really quite offensive. I don't blame you, its so easy to believe in the bogeyman.

Until you deal with these people day in and day out its easy to believe the press. But they are people just like the rest of us, and there is always, for me, a bit of "but for the grace of God go I".
    And it's exactly the same with asylum seekers. The general perception is that they are greedy good-for-nothings, that the men escape their home countries for a better life here whilst leaving behind the women and children, and that all of their stories are made up. It's not until you hear it from the horse's mouth that you realise how wrong the gutter press can be and how easy it is to stir up hatred through fear.

However, whilst I sympathise with Blagsta and the others who present the alternative view, personal abuse is never acceptable. So what if she's a pampered middle class Tory? If you want people to change their minds on an issue about which you are accusing them of ignorance, rational argument is the most effective means. I certainly accept that I have learnt about drugs issues on here, and have modified my own views on many other issues not through being told that I'm a wally, but through debating (yes, passionately) with others with different views.

[/my 2p]