Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how long did it take you get over your first love?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How long before you felt well and truly over your first serious relationship?

Mine ended about four months ago, and I still think about her every day. Two of those months I was still holding out some hope that we might get back together until she finally made it clear it wasn't going to happen. The circumstances of the breakup were very awkward which hasn't helped, she didn't really explain things properly to me, but I don't particularly want to talk about that here. I'm impatient to get over it all, but it is getting easier for me with time, bit by bit. Anway, I'm not really after any advice especially, cos I know I'm getting there gradually, but just wondering what other people's experiences are....

Comments

• Options
    It took me a while can't say how long for certain though.
  • Options
    never been in love! but it can take me a while to get over people.
  • Options
    never really got over him
    he didnt get over me either that thats after a year after splitting
  • Options
    Well,from my experience
    It's hard to say...the term getting over...depends how you define it really.
    If you mean when will you forget about them and not care...that does depend on the circumstance.
    In my case,it's been over 3 years since I split from my first love and to this day I still think of them foindly.Obviously at first it hurts real bad and you are holding on to the jope you ,ay getback together but then eventually you just get used to it and just remeber the good times and you realise you are lucky to have experienced what you did whne you were with them.
    I have moved on but U still hold to my memories sweetly.

That relationship ended and I wad the one that didn't want it to end.

I am just grateful now that it happended.
    It took me about 6mths to accept it was over and then I moved on.
  • Options
    I think it took me about six months; and I was a wreck for a good two months of that time.

Immediately after we broke up, he was off gallavanting with other girls (including my so-called friends) and being a big ole stud around town. It's sweet Schadenfreude now that he's never been able to move on from our relationship, and I still get those drunken late-night phone calls. Yeah, I'm probably quite twisted. But it was almost four years ago.

Moral of the story, imo, is that it's worth taking time to truly get over the end of a relationship. Otherwise it seems to follow people around like a spectre.

I guess you'll wake up one morning and realise you haven't thought about her for days on end, I hope it's sooner rather than later :)
  • Options
    Never been in love... I don't think.

I'm good at seperating my feelings and distancing myself from things, so yeah... Probably not long.
  • Options
    Only a few months to get ove rmy first love.
    Many monhs to get over my second love.
    Over a year fo rmy third and final love...infact i am still pining!
  • Options
    i'm still with mine :heart:
  • Options
    It took me a long time, probably because it was unrequited, and that always sucks balls.
  • Options
    Still haven't :(.
  • Options
    Mine had to move back to canada, as her visa ran out. took me awhile to get over her as spoke to her every day on MSN. but just at a real low point got setup with someone else who ended up as my wife.

I'm currently trying to get over her, after she had an affair. But she's making it every easy and being a real B***h. So i having a laugh now and making new friends, having some fun (but keeping safe)
  • Options
    we broke up over a year ago an even though iv got a new boyfriend ill always love him and although i never wanna be with him again i cant honestly say that im over him in any way
  • Options
    So have I have never been in that postion, as I've never had a serious relationship before the one I'm in now, fingers crossed I will not find myself in that postion. But I've had a lot of crushes which I found hard to get over.
  • Options
    I left my first love after a long time of pretending that I still felt the same way, so in that sense, it didn't really take me that long. However, I still care deeply about that person, 7 years later, and would be there for him whatever happened, so I will never forget him or anything like that.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Im still in love with him...not the same kind of love as before, but i think about him all the time. it was such a long time ago when we split up...i.e. 5 years ago. but i still see him a few times a year. were very close which has always annoyed his current gf of 4 years. we still joke about one day gettin married, but i always hang on to that small chance it may one day come true. im happy startin a new relationship now, and i have had a few other loving relationships since, so i would say, although u never truly get over your first love and that they will always hold a special place in your heart, it is possible to move on, and love again. i promise x
  • Options
    ive just been through the whole we might get back togeather thing, and now i have realised that we r distructive when were togeather and were both betta off this way....

so im gettin myself some space (we have a lot of mutual friends) that told me he HAD to be mates cuz were all mates togeather.... i now belive this to not be true... as its up to me if i want to be his mate... and right now i need time to get over him.... which is what im doin.. but i doubt ill ever stop loving him completly.. but that doesnt bother me cuz i have learnt alot from this :):) xx

its bit 5months and i aint close but i know ill get there now :P x
  • Options
  • Options
    A couple of hours, a pasty, and some Lucky Strike.
  • Options
    It took me quite a while.
  • Options
    ages

still loads of mixed emotions
  • Options
    Took me near on 2 1/2 years. He's a best mate now and a girls done it to him, and he knows how I felt when he broke my heart. I felt more for him then he did for me and now the tables have turned.
  • Options
    My first long term relationship lasted about a year, but i had seen it for what it was a few months before and it took me a while to work up the nerve to finish it, after that it took probably about 3 months and a rebound relationship to sort my head out. My experiances of that relationship shaped my next few relationships.

what really drew a line under it was him txting me out the blue and trying to control me like he used to so i told him in no uncertain terms what i thort of him and since then havnt really thort anything about it.

so i think it was to get over him about 3 months, to get over the content of the relationship about a year and 1/2
  • Options
    bad seed wrote:
    A couple of hours, a pasty, and some Lucky Strike.
    That's more than lucky.
  • Options
    Took me ages to get over my first love. We'd been going out since I was 16, during the whole time I was at college. Then he dumped me for someone he met at college (who is satisfyingly fatter and uglier than I am - biased I know but wtf.) and it took about 6 months before I could even talk to him online without shouting at him and crying and arguing.

We get on really well now though, we're really close and I never feel embarrassed about talking to him about anything, although I have to avoid certain subjects like alcohol because he is more stubborn than anyone in the P&D forum, and 100% less informed.
  • Options
    Im still not over it a year on with a new man.
  • Options
    although I have to avoid certain subjects like alcohol because he is more stubborn than anyone in the P&D forum, and 100% less informed.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    I'm still with my first love - we got together about 12 and a half months ago - but I can't see myself ever getting over him. Hes a really special lad - hes had a lot of trouble in his life, and deserves the best kinda future.
  • Options
    It takes everyone a different length of time. For me I'd prob say about a 6 months, but there's still times now that I look back on things with regret and wish we'd been older and more mature about things and thats between 3 and 4 years later.
  • Options
    Had my first boyfriend when I was 15. Edded because I was stupid and got off with some turd in my year. To this day I remember him fondly and always will, he's a good guy. Don't think I'll ever quite get over him, I loved him very much.

ETA: Actually yesterday I had what I call a "dermot day" and my friend came up on cheered me up. I had came across an old photo of him and started crying. This coupled with the fact my boyrfriend was playing bloody computer games (he's 25) when he was meant to be studying and the fact my first love is now in Oxford doing Physics really got to me. My first love with my epitome of the perfect bloke. Physically and mentally. It's sad when I think of how things could have turned out. I sometimes want to tell him I still love him but he's with a girlfriend now and very happy.

If he's happy I wouldn't intrude. Maybe one day I'll let him know. :(
  • Options
    my 1st love was akward, we split up after 10months then got back together after 3 months and i love him more than anything, we split up after a year, i caught him on sofa with another lass when i was 8 1/2 months pregnant, he split up with me sayin nowt had happened n i was paranoid. we still on good terms only for my sons sake but i have never got over him it is still too hard.

xx sauce xx :wave: