Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Latin America tells Bush to stick 'free trade' up his arse

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Toadborg wrote:
    I am not sure what you mean to be honest.

I don't see why you are intent on arguing over semantics........

Because if we don't have the same definitions then we are arguing at cross purposes. What do you mean by "free trade"? Policies that are currently being implemented by the WTO, IMF etc? Or something else?
  • Options
    I mean very clearly the reduction in govt barriers put on trade in goods and services such as tariffs, quotas, subsidies etc.

Yes you might say that this is often associated with other measures but that does not mean they are the same thing.

The largest free trade bloc in the world is the EU, has European free trade been associated with enforced privatisation etc of any kind?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Again I would ask for evidence.......

Self-sufficiency is a ridiculous goal, probably the only country that aims for that is North Korea.

Some countries aimed for autarky in the 1930s due to the threat of war and it was one of the reasons why the effect of the depression was magnified in Europe in particular......

There may be political reasons for aiming for some degree of self-sufficincy but there are no good economic reasons.........

taking my argument to an extreme i see - some level of self sufficiency is required otherwise your country would be like argentina or other south american countries where companies pull out without warning suddenly causing huge changes in employment and good produced, and the same in farming where a country depends on exported cash crops not regular crops that are not so volitile

it's what we do in the EU im quite happy for some level of farm subsidy to exist here, just not for the farm produce we export out of the EU

its about having a some trade independence

back on topic - do you honestly think america will alllow full trade liberalisation into the US after forcing it on south american countries? i comfortably say 'non'
  • Options
    taking my argument to an extreme i see - some level of self sufficiency is required otherwise your country would be like argentina or other south american countries where companies pull out without warning suddenly causing huge changes in employment and good produced, and the same in farming where a country depends on exported cash crops not regular crops that are not so volitile

it's what we do in the EU im quite happy for some level of farm subsidy to exist here, just not for the farm produce we export out of the EU

its about having a some trade independence

back on topic - do you honestly think america will alllow full trade liberalisation into the US after forcing it on south american countries? i comfortably say 'non'

You may think it is a good idea to have some self-sufficiency, I don't generally.

Also how exactly would you seperate subsidised goods in the EU from non-subsidised goods with regards to exporting? Sounds difficult to me.

As for the US I really don't know, the Democrats campaigned in part on the fact that many US mfg jobs had been lost due to free trade.

Also the US cannot force anything on South America, they have to give something in return.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I mean very clearly the reduction in govt barriers put on trade in goods and services such as tariffs, quotas, subsidies etc.

So you're talking about an ideological position disengaged from the reality?
    Toadborg wrote:
    Yes you might say that this is often associated with other measures but that does not mean they are the same thing.

Except that they come as part and parcel of the same ideological position and part and parcel of the actuality of "free trade"
    Toadborg wrote:
    The largest free trade bloc in the world is the EU, has European free trade been associated with enforced privatisation etc of any kind?

The EU is definitely in the business of promoting privatisation and corporatisation.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

The EU is definitely in the business of promoting privatisation and corporatisation.

Evidence?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Evidence?

I like the way you ignore all my other points
    Tuesday 22 March 2005 is World Water Day. Trade unions and NGOs are using this day to call for a change of course in the European Union's approach to the crisis in access to clean water and sanitation in Europe and developing countries. There is a growing coalition of civil society groups concerned about the way in which European aid money and political influence is being used to promote water privatisation, rather than meeting real development needs in water and sanitation. This is replicated by competition policy that is driving the privatisation of water in European countries, such as Scotland, that maintain public water services.
    http://www.unison-scotland.org.uk/briefings/waterday.html
    According to unpublished internal European Union (EU) contract lists, the main beneficiaries of the European Union aid program to Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) are western corporations.

The lion's share of contracts belong to powerful European businesses, and where easterners are employed, they are paid only one-fifth the rate of westerners. Under pressure from western banks, and with financial, legal, political and diplomatic support from the EU Commission, the prize assets of the Soviet bloc are being bought up by western companies in what has been called "the greatest transfer of public wealth ever into private hands."

The new "trade and cooperation" agreements with eastern countries further western transnational corporation (TNC) interests and ignore broader interests of promoting human development and protecting the environment. This bias toward business is maintained through a strategic silence in the Commission that keeps the European public in the dark.
    http://www.earthisland.org/eijournal/win98/wr_win98euroaid.html

http://www.corporateeurope.org/
  • Options
    Well there role in development has nothing to do with it, I was talking about the countries actually in the EU.....

The stuff about Scotland is interesting but it suggests that any Eu driven privatisation is a result of other organs of the EU, not as a result of our legal obligations on free trade.....
  • Options
    I ignored your other points because I am not interested in having a pointless debate over semantics....
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well there role in development has nothing to do with it, I was talking about the countries actually in the EU.....

The stuff about Scotland is interesting but it suggests that any Eu driven privatisation is a result of other organs of the EU, not as a result of our legal obligations on free trade.....

Even when presented with evidence you continue to deny stuff. Amazing!
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I ignored your other points because I am not interested in having a pointless debate over semantics....

So you're not interested in having commonly agreed definitions of terms? :confused: Why do you bother debating at all? :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you're not interested in having commonly agreed definitions of terms? :confused: Why do you bother debating at all? :confused::confused:

Yes but I get a certain sense that you will not be interested in hearing anything else, as this is my experience with you on here..........
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Even when presented with evidence you continue to deny stuff. Amazing!

Most of that evidence was concerned with the EUs role in non-Eu countries, which is irrelevant to the point I was making.......

The stuff about Scotland was to do with EU competition policy, not fundamental to the trade agreeements we are signed up to as part of the Eu........
  • Options
    You asked for evidence that the EU promoted privatisation. I provided you with it. What more do you want? Your insistence on discussing "free trade" in an abstract manner, divorced from its actual reality is somewhat bizarre.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Yes but I get a certain sense that you will not be interested in hearing anything else, as this is my experience with you on here..........

Oh quit being so bloody dishonest! You have a history of ignoring difficult points and changing the subject. If you want a debate, lets have one. Otherwise don't bother.
  • Options
    No I asked for evidence that EU member countries were required to privatise as part of their agreement on free trade because you were asserting that these two processes were essentially one and the same thing....

Your evidence shows no such thing.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    No I asked for evidence that EU member countries were required to privatise as part of their agreement on free trade

No you didn't. You asked for evidence of my assertion that "The EU is definitely in the business of promoting privatisation and corporatisation.". Which I provided.
    Toadborg wrote:
    because you were asserting that these two processes were essentially one and the same thing....

See, this is why knowing what you mean by "free trade" is so important. You appear to view it as an ideological position divorced from reality. What I'm saying is that "free trade" as it is currently practiced does promote privatisation, as I have shown.
    Toadborg wrote:
    Your evidence shows no such thing.......

Errrr...yes it does.