Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Latin America tells Bush to stick 'free trade' up his arse

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Spliffie wrote:
    The EU is still more or less driven by business profit though...

But to a far more acceptable degree, making sure the average joe's dont get shat upon. And also now it is becoming more a union of countries, with a joint defence initive too. I wonder if that will be a big cock-up or work?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    But to a far more acceptable degree, making sure the average joe's dont get shat upon. And also now it is becoming more a union of countries, with a joint defence initive too. I wonder if that will be a big cock-up or work?

The British attitude towards Europe won't help, that's certain.

The EU is prone to fuck ups, so I wouldn't be surprised. Public ignorance and misinterpretation which is promoted by sections of the press definitely has to share some of the blame however.
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    Do you really believe that.....? Free trade (at least in practise) isn't about helping poor people, it's about opening up more markets for the big western multinationals.......

I don't 'beleive' it, I know it........
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Free market capitalism has never helped working class people and the poor- on the contrary. So I would not expect this American venture to end up any different.

Incidentally the EU is far more than just a free trade area- and thank fuck for that.

Do you not think that Spain has benefited from being in the EU, from the market access etc?

Do you really think free-markets have never helped the poor?

Odd how 'the poor' of the West were always better off than 'the poor' of the East back in the days of the USSR isn't it?
  • Options
    yes in principle but in practice it would mean america could dump its subsidised goods upon them with no intentions of removing its protectionist policies as is what happens with NAFTA (north american free trade agreement)

Well I do not know what is entailed in this agreement, do you?

It might require the removal of such subsidies etc......

Maybe the US would dump, but US markets would also be exposed to competition form cheaper Latin American exports.......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I don't 'beleive' it, I know it........

Oh dear. "Free" trade only benefits western multinationals, because it seeks to liberalise markets. What basically happens is that organisations like the WTO etc force less developed countries to privatise things like water companies in return for trade and aid. The result of this is massive rises in water prices to the detriment of the majority of people in that country, but it allows western companies to make shit loads of money exploiting the market.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Do you not think that Spain has benefited from being in the EU, from the market access etc?
    Of course it has. But membership of the EU does not mean free market capitalism. Not in the sense of mega-privatisation of public services as Blagsta has said above, and shite working rights for workers.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Oh dear. "Free" trade only benefits western multinationals, because it seeks to liberalise markets. What basically happens is that organisations like the WTO etc force less developed countries to privatise things like water companies in return for trade and aid. The result of this is massive rises in water prices to the detriment of the majority of people in that country, but it allows western companies to make shit loads of money exploiting the market.

:confused:

You are confusing the issue with conditionality and aid, these are related but are not the same thing at all.

Free trade is not about liberalisation of internal markets but about liberalisation of external markets i.e. less tariffs, quotas, subsidies etc
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Of course it has. But membership of the EU does not mean free market capitalism. Not in the sense of mega-privatisation of public services as Blagsta has said above, and shite working rights for workers.

Yes it does mean free-market capitalism, that is exactly what it means because the Eu is at heart a free-trade zone (though it has become much more)

Privatisation, working rights etc are seperate issues....

This is about free-trade specifically, something which I thought most people around this site supported with regards to make poverty history etc....
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    :confused:

You are confusing the issue with conditionality and aid, these are related but are not the same thing at all.

Free trade is not about liberalisation of internal markets but about liberalisation of external markets i.e. less tariffs, quotas, subsidies etc

You need to have a word with that economics lecturer of yours.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Yes it does mean free-market capitalism, that is exactly what it means because the Eu is at heart a free-trade zone (though it has become much more)

Privatisation, working rights etc are seperate issues....

This is about free-trade specifically, something which I thought most people around this site supported with regards to make poverty history etc....

Where the fuck do you pick this stuff up from? :confused: MPH was about fair trade, not free trade.
  • Options
    Indeed.......

Do you have an actual response?
  • Options
    I'm too busy laughing at you. :lol:
  • Options
    Why would a country want to open up it's own internal markets to competition? Surely trade agreements are about the ability to sell more and thus make more money?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Where the fuck do you pick this stuff up from? :confused: MPH was about fair trade, not free trade.

MPH was asking for the developed world to drop trade barriers, reduce subsidies etc was it not?

This is trade liberalisation, a move to freer trade.

Call it fair trade if you like, doesn't make a difference........
  • Options
    Why would a country want to open up it's own internal markets to competition? Surely trade agreements are about the ability to sell more and thus make more money?

For many reasons, to improve efficiency, to allow consumers access to cheaper goods etc and as a means of getting reciprocal access to trade liberalisation in other countries.

Free trade also encourages investment and allows access to better technology......
  • Options
    This is what the World Development Movement has to say on GATS and water
    http://www.wdm.org.uk/campaigns/watergats/index.htm
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    as a means of getting reciprocal access to trade liberalisation in other countries.

Which is the self interest aspect I was trying to cover.

I'm not entirely sure I follow all of the other aspects though. Those cheaper goods mean less profit internally and efficiency is irrelevant if you have a closed market...
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    MPH was asking for the developed world to drop trade barriers, reduce subsidies etc was it not?

This is trade liberalisation, a move to freer trade.

Call it fair trade if you like, doesn't make a difference........

Errrrmmm...maybe you should read their website, 'cos you're dead wrong on this.
    http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/whatwewant/trade.shtml
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Toadborg wrote:
    Odd how 'the poor' of the West were always better off than 'the poor' of the East back in the days of the USSR isn't it?

Even odder if America is to be beleived is how alot of them now wish they were still under the USSR - at least they had new clothes and food on the table.

They don't anymore. And often have to turn to crime. And how the Russian Armed forces wish it was still there - at least they got paid! How the Pensioners wish it was - They got a state Pension for their years of work! How the people buying Chelsea and TVR love it now - they managed to get rich quick off the collapse. How the Russian Mafia love it - They've even got men in US Congress!
  • Options
    A poll conducted by the Chilliean organisation Latinobarometro showed the majority of South Americans to be in favour of free trade between themselves and the United States. 2/3 want the FTAA while 70% favour the economic integration of Latin America. Funny.

Source
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    This is what the World Development Movement has to say on GATS and water
    http://www.wdm.org.uk/campaigns/watergats/index.htm

Do you know that similar conditions are part of this agreement?

The issue is free trade, not privatisation............
  • Options
    Which is the self interest aspect I was trying to cover.

I'm not entirely sure I follow all of the other aspects though. Those cheaper goods mean less profit internally and efficiency is irrelevant if you have a closed market...

Less profit yes, but consumers benefit, which is good....

Efficiency is absolutely vital to all economies. Protectionist economics fosters ineffiency by stifling competition and protecting producers in areas which that economy should not be producing, thus resources are wasted.

That is why the CAP is such a waste, masses of money is given to our farmers when people in the developed world could do it far cheaper.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Errrrmmm...maybe you should read their website, 'cos you're dead wrong on this.
    http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/whatwewant/trade.shtml

Yes they might call it 'trade justice' but essentially they are calling for freer trade involving the developed world dropping its protection.....
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Even odder if America is to be beleived is how alot of them now wish they were still under the USSR - at least they had new clothes and food on the table.

They don't anymore. And often have to turn to crime. And how the Russian Armed forces wish it was still there - at least they got paid! How the Pensioners wish it was - They got a state Pension for their years of work! How the people buying Chelsea and TVR love it now - they managed to get rich quick off the collapse. How the Russian Mafia love it - They've even got men in US Congress!

Yes I agree that the fall of communism was badly handled and a lot of people have suffered since then.

However I would expect that within quite a short while the Eastern bloc countries will have attained a prosperity thtey could not have dreamt of under the communist sytsem......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Do you know that similar conditions are part of this agreement?

The issue is free trade, not privatisation............

privatisation is part of the free trade philosophy
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Yes they might call it 'trade justice' but essentially they are calling for freer trade involving the developed world dropping its protection.....

Did you actually read it? Do you want me to quote it?

What are they doing?

Between them, they're forcing poor countries to open up their markets to foreign imports and businesses, and sell off public services like electricity - even when this isn't in their interest. They're also banning poor countries from supporting vulnerable farmers and industries, while wealthy nations continue to support their own.

All this is being done in the name of 'liberalisation' - and 'free trade' or leaving things to market forces.
  • Options

No, it's not. The "free trade philosophy" is being hijacked by special interests to promote privatisation, or modern feudalisation or whatever you want to call it.

Privatisation is by it's nature anti free trade.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Thats as maybe but this thread is about free trade, that is the issue, unless you know that privatisation etc is specifically part of that deal, that fair enough.....
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Did you actually read it? Do you want me to quote it?

Yes, there point is that the developed world is pretending to be advocating free trade when what they are doing in practise is protecting their own markets.

What MPH want is real free trade.

Are they or aren't they advocating an end to developed world protectionism?

Yes they are.

Is this trade liberalisation, a call for freer trade?

Yes it is.