Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Latin America tells Bush to stick 'free trade' up his arse

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Free trade and privatisation are part and parcel of the same package, as you well know.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Yes, there point is that the developed world is pretending to be advocating free trade when what they are doing in practise is protecting their own markets.

What MPH want is real free trade.

Are they or aren't they advocating an end to developed world protectionism?

Yes they are.

Is this trade liberalisation, a call for freer trade?

Yes it is.

You didn't read it then. Well done. You also don't seem to understand what "free trade" currently means.
  • Options
    No they aren't....

Hence the EU for example, a freetrade area

Does our membership of the Eu require us to privatise?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You didn't read it then. Well done. You also don't seem to understand what "free trade" currently means.

Do you disagree with those statements I made?

They want to reduce developed world protectionism, that is freer trae isn't it?
  • Options
    No Toad, that's freer plunder and economic subjugation, not free "trade". Trade is not "free" when the playing field is not level.

I suggest you also look into the truth of the World Bank/IMF "loan" systems and the caveat entitled "structural adjustments". It is these more than the oft used diversionary rhetoric of "corrupt african/(et al) regimes" that accounts for the perpetual indebtedness and lack of development of these countries under the neo-liberal globalist system.
  • Options
    Trade justice

What can we do?

It's simple really, change the rules. Now.

It's an obvious solution - challenge and change the rules so they work for poor countries. Re-write them in favour of the poorest countries so they can develop, build their own industries, grow stronger, and one day compete as equals.

Rich countries used trade rules to protect themselves as they developed - which is how they got where they are now. We consider it fair to use trade rules to end world poverty as we know it.

They want to redress the balance - and they're advocating trade rules for developing countries

So, you're misrepresenting what they say Toadborg.

:)
  • Options
    Maybe, but the only specific policy I have ever heard or read about them advocating is the removal of developed world trade restrictions.

They may have some other ideas but nothing concrete as far as I can tell (their site is very vague and wishy-washy about the aims of their campaign)
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Maybe, but the only specific policy I have ever heard or read about them advocating is the removal of developed world trade restrictions.

They may have some other ideas but nothing concrete as far as I can tell (their site is very vague and wishy-washy about the aims of their campaign)

Hmm, well Oxfam - one of the more conservative partners calls for
    For a successful outcome of the talks, Oxfam is calling on rich countries to deliver:

• Increased market access without forcing developing countries to reciprocate
    • An end date for export subsidies by 2010
    • Meaningful cuts in domestic support beyond what the EU is currently offering
    • Commitment from the US to eliminate cotton trade-distorting subsidies by December
    • The power for developing countries to decide their own trade policies on agriculture and NAMA
    • Duty and quota free access for LDCs
    • Aid for trade

Which looks like a reduction in developed world protectionism, with the right for developing countries to decide their own policies.

And the somewhat more radical War on Want is clear that "Fair trade NOT free trade is fundamental if we are to reduce global poverty."

You need to look at the individual organisations own sites - their positions vary which is why there isn't an agreed overall statement.
  • Options
    Indeed, and which is one of the reasons why I don't really like MPH.....

But, like I said the main thing is a call for liberalisation of the developed world, which makes it rather odd that they seem to want the developing world to be able to be protectionist.......
  • Options
    That isn't the main thing at all.

Heres what the Trade Justice Movement called for:
    1. The EU should unilaterally end agricultural export subsidies now

2. The EU should support changes to trade rules to enshrine the right of
    developing countries to protect their domestic agricultural sectors on the
    grounds of food security, livelihood security and sustainable rural
    development. As a first step at the WTO, the EU should ensure developing
    countries are able to self-select products on these grounds to be exempt
    from any further liberalisation

3. The UK Government to demand that the IMF and World Bank stop imposing
    trade conditions on poor countries

4. The EU to withdraw its demand that water is included in GATS

5. The UK Government (and EU) should oppose any restrictions on the ability
    of governments to regulate foreign investment in accordance with their
    development and environmental needs

6. The EU to ensure that global trade policies and practices do not
    undercut internationally agreed social and environmental standards, in
    particular core labour standards and as a first step to ensure that the ILO
    is granted full observer status at the WTO

7. The UK Government (and EU) to enact legislation to ensure that companies
    are held accountable for their social and environmental impacts at home and
    abroad

8. The EU to withdraw the following demands from its Economic Partnership
    Agreement (EPA) negotiating mandate:.
    reciprocal trade liberalisation
    negotiations on competition policy, investment and public procurement

Its no good reading the first 2 btw - there are 8 :)

The main players in MPH were also signed up to TJM.

:yes:
  • Options
    What a load of bollocks that is, 1. and 2. completely contradict one another!!

The rest simply mandates that countrys' be able to be as protectioist as they want, shocking.......

(Though I agree with 7.)
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Indeed, and which is one of the reasons why I don't really like MPH.....

But, like I said the main thing is a call for liberalisation of the developed world, which makes it rather odd that they seem to want the developing world to be able to be protectionist.......

what you dont understnad is that they wouldnt be signing up for free trade from both parties, just them and a couple of 'concessions' by the US

happened to mexico in NAFTA and well they aren't thick and want to develop their own industry better before so they can have some say in their own development
  • Options
    You know that for a fact do you?

Do you have evidence for the Mexico case? Things didn't go well for Mexico after their trade lib but that was not an ordinary case.

Was the US not required to open by NAFTA then?
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    You know that for a fact do you?

Do you have evidence for the Mexico case? Things didn't go well for Mexico after their trade lib but that was not an ordinary case.

Was the US not required to open by NAFTA then?

well it was supposed to open up trade, and mexico's main thing is maize growing - the mexican stopped its farm subisides and the US kept their despite it breaking the rules and thus mexico got lumbered with lots of subsidised maize putting their own growers out of business

im cooking atm so can't search just yet
  • Options

happened to mexico in NAFTA and well they aren't thick and want to develop their own industry better before so they can have some say in their own development

Really? According to the source i posted more than 2/3 of mexicans favour economic integration with other american countries.
  • Options
    Well that is no surprise really.

Maize farmers are a minoruty even in Mexico, they may have lost out if WMPs description is accurate but the rest of the Mexican populace would have benefited from cheaper produce.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    No they aren't....

Hence the EU for example, a freetrade area

Does our membership of the Eu require us to privatise?

Errrr...we are in the process of privatising everything. "Free trade" is part of the neo-liberal project as is privatisation, as you well know.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Do you disagree with those statements I made?

They want to reduce developed world protectionism, that is freer trae isn't it?

Well it depends what you mean by "free trade" isn't it? What I mean by it is the current policies as pushed by organisations like the WTO, IMF, G8 countries etc, which is about removal of import tarrifs and protectionism and the liberalisation of trade (i.e. privatisation) in developing countries. What do you mean? I'd guess you think it means removing all protectionism so that economies can trade on a more "equal" footing. The obvious problem with this is that it is always going to be to the detriment of people in developing nations - developing economies just can't compete with the trans-national corporations and western economies due to the massive buying power, influence and economies of scale.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:

You're dead wrong on this, have the balls to admit it.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Less profit yes, but consumers benefit, which is good....

So consumers benefit eh? What about people? See, this is one of the problems with capitalism - it sees people in terms of the market, in terms of what we consume. What about us as conscious human beings with emotions, desires, fears all that stuff? The whole ideology objectifies and reduces people and their relationships with each other down to purely economic terms and ignores the complexities of human relationships except in terms of how much money someone can make...
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Well that is no surprise really.

Maize farmers are a minoruty even in Mexico, they may have lost out if WMPs description is accurate but the rest of the Mexican populace would have benefited from cheaper produce.

yes, paid for by american tax payers actually no the us government si in huge deficits so its being paid for by asian banks and oil not because its actually cheaper to produce in mexico

when america enters into those free trade agreements it doesnt remove its protectionist policies :s how is that free trade :s and i fail to see how it benefits people - their farmers get put out of business and if the americans decide they running short on food from some form of collapse the mexians will starve etc

maize was just an example lots mroe crops are grown in mexico

growth isnt the only goal of a country - self suffiency is another
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Blagsta wrote:
    What about us as conscious human beings with emotions, desires, fears all that stuff?

You can't make money of that, honestly.

Well, fear, yes... the Home Security market does well.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Well it depends what you mean by "free trade" isn't it? What I mean by it is the current policies as pushed by organisations like the WTO, IMF, G8 countries etc, which is about removal of import tarrifs and protectionism and the liberalisation of trade (i.e. privatisation) in developing countries. What do you mean? I'd guess you think it means removing all protectionism so that economies can trade on a more "equal" footing. The obvious problem with this is that it is always going to be to the detriment of people in developing nations - developing economies just can't compete with the trans-national corporations and western economies due to the massive buying power, influence and economies of scale.

Yes you are correct in what I mean by 'free-trade', because that is what the term means.....

You are wrong about developing countries losing out however. The great thing about free-trade is that all countries can benefit. Poorer countries can benefit because they have an inate cost advantage.

The best recent example is China which is currebtly witnessing the most amazing period of economic growth and improvement in living standards that the world has ever seen, substantially based on theri ability to import and export on a large scale......
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    You're dead wrong on this, have the balls to admit it.

No I am not.

As far as I can see their main policy with regards to trade is that they want the developed world to reduce trade barriers, this is trade liberalisation......
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So consumers benefit eh? What about people? See, this is one of the problems with capitalism - it sees people in terms of the market, in terms of what we consume. What about us as conscious human beings with emotions, desires, fears all that stuff? The whole ideology objectifies and reduces people and their relationships with each other down to purely economic terms and ignores the complexities of human relationships except in terms of how much money someone can make...

What on earth are you on about?

How precisely are peoples emotions etc anything to do with trade liberalisation?

:confused:
  • Options
    yes, paid for by american tax payers actually no the us government si in huge deficits so its being paid for by asian banks and oil not because its actually cheaper to produce in mexico

when america enters into those free trade agreements it doesnt remove its protectionist policies :s how is that free trade :s and i fail to see how it benefits people - their farmers get put out of business and if the americans decide they running short on food from some form of collapse the mexians will starve etc

maize was just an example lots mroe crops are grown in mexico

growth isnt the only goal of a country - self suffiency is another

Again I would ask for evidence.......

Self-sufficiency is a ridiculous goal, probably the only country that aims for that is North Korea.

Some countries aimed for autarky in the 1930s due to the threat of war and it was one of the reasons why the effect of the depression was magnified in Europe in particular......

There may be political reasons for aiming for some degree of self-sufficincy but there are no good economic reasons.........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    Yes you are correct in what I mean by 'free-trade', because that is what the term means.....

You are wrong about developing countries losing out however. The great thing about free-trade is that all countries can benefit. Poorer countries can benefit because they have an inate cost advantage.

The best recent example is China which is currebtly witnessing the most amazing period of economic growth and improvement in living standards that the world has ever seen, substantially based on theri ability to import and export on a large scale......

so by "free trade", you mean an ideological position that doesn't actually bear any resemblance to what is currently known as "free trade"?
  • Options
    I am not sure what you mean to be honest.

I don't see why you are intent on arguing over semantics........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    No I am not.

As far as I can see their main policy with regards to trade is that they want the developed world to reduce trade barriers, this is trade liberalisation......

You can't even admit when you're blatantly wrong
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    What on earth are you on about?

How precisely are peoples emotions etc anything to do with trade liberalisation?

:confused:

Because capitalism also comes with an ideology. It sees people as either consumers or producers, reduces the complexities of human experience down to functions of economics and views economics as a mechanical system (or engine as someone described on another thread), not as the product of the social relationships between people. It limits the terms of the debate, seeing everything as being reducible to economic consumption and money ,as in the example I just quoted. Read up on ideology, hegemony and the works of Antonio Gramsci.