Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The REAL threat to the NHS

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You must live in cloud nine mate. Down here in Britain there were tens of thousands of employers across the country paying bugger all to employees and exploiting them nicely until the minimum wage came along.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    You must live in cloud nine mate. Down here in Britain there were tens of thousands of employers across the country paying bugger all to employees and exploiting them nicely until the minimum wage came along.
    Perhaps you could provide us with evidence of this?
  • Options
    I'll try to fish out some but so far I can confirm to you that I know of people who were paid £2 an hour for shit factory jobs before the minimum wage was introduced- fact.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I'll just pay for whats needed. End of story.

:confused: how can you pay for A & E ??
  • Options

He is talking shite. End of story.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'll try to fish out some but so far I can confirm to you that I know of people who were paid £2 an hour for shit factory jobs before the minimum wage was introduced- fact.
    Look forward to seeing your evidence Aladdin.
  • Options
    Who's talking about A&E?
  • Options
    you said you will pay for whats needed. if you needed to go to A&E or any of the other things someone else metioned how do you propose to pay for those? you would have to accept them on the nhs.

i also know people who were paid £2 an hour before min wage was introduced.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Look forward to seeing your evidence Aladdin.
    In the meantime you could perhaps provide evidence that no people in this country were being paid slave wages of £2 an hour, since you seem so convinced.

Because it is a far more unlikely claim.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Lets be frank, we've all heard the phrase, "pay peanuts and you get ...." so its quite obvious that any decent company will give its employees a generous package fitting the job and its responsibilites - its just that we don't need the government stepping in.

ever worked for mcdees when my mate was 17 he was being paid £3.27 an hour cause there was no minumum wage for 17yr olds at time, there were people his age doin his job full time.....
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Lets be frank, we've all heard the phrase, "pay peanuts and you get ...." so its quite obvious that any decent company will give its employees a generous package fitting the job and its responsibilites - its just that we don't need the government stepping in.

Might I suggest Nike as an example...
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I support the idea of a basic safety net for those genuine cases of hardship

So, firstly, at the point of emergency care, how do you distinguish "genuine hardship", or do we give everyone the best possible healthcare and then charge them later?

Secondly, the "basic safety net". How will this be funded?
    I'll just pay for whats needed. End of story.

Not quite then end.

If these services aren't provided by the NHS, who will you find to do it?

There is a reason that private hospitals don't currently offer these services (even to people already with insurance), perhaps you should ask yourself why.

I'll give you a clue, it's fucking expensive.

A five week stay in hospital (for example post stroke) will cost over £30k and that is NHS price. Add onto that the cost of drugs (which won't be on prescription because there will be no NHS subsidy), then add the cost of food etc and you are looking at a bill which is six figures.

Do you think that insurance companies will want to touch this kind of risk, for 50m+ people?
  • Options
    A five week stay in hospital (for example post stroke) will cost over £30k and that is NHS price. Add onto that the cost of drugs (which won't be on prescription because there will be no NHS subsidy), then add the cost of food etc and you are looking at a bill which is six figures.

Do you think that insurance companies will want to touch this kind of risk, for 50m+ people?

WHO does?

seeker
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    WHO does?

Not sure I follow? Did you mean who does want to take on this risk?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Exactly right Matadore, just like paying premiums for your house or car insurance, let everyone pay for their healthcare. Why should I pay massive taxes for other people to lay around in NHS hospitals, I've got my own health to look after, in fact I already do so through BUPA's top-notch plan, no waiting lists, dirty wards, or any of that crap. Any problem straight into a hotel-like private hospital ward, and thats how I like it and want to keep it.
    Unless you actually have an accident and then you go straight to your local NHS A&E department, because theres no such thing as private accident and emergency departments. Privates fine as long as you know youre going to be ill.
  • Options
    I will read whole threads before answering.
  • Options
    Not sure I follow? Did you mean who does want to take on this risk?

MOK,

From this and previous postings you appear to be a voice of authority on most things "NHS".You gave an example of A and E treatment,and claimed that it was highly unlikely that any insurance company would touch that risk.If the example given is true(and I ain`t doubting it) then someone must "touch the risk".I was asking if you knew who.

While I`m asking questions could you give a breakdown of how that 30k figure is arrived at?

seeker
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    someone must "touch the risk".I was asking if you knew who.

The taxpayers who fund the NHS. We cover that risk
    While I`m asking questions could you give a breakdown of how that 30k figure is arrived at?

It's a rough estimate based on the tariff pricing scheme. Worth noting that most of the private hospitals are saying that they cannot match tariff price as it is too low. many are arguing for tariff +10%...
  • Options
    It's a rough estimate based on the tariff pricing scheme. Worth noting that most of the private hospitals are saying that they cannot match tariff price as it is too low. many are arguing for tariff +10%...

O.K. but I don`t know anything about the tariff pricing scheme.I was wondering how it broke down,if anyone knows for sure.Presumably the accountants could tell me in great detail,but I was curious for a "simple" breakdown.

seeker
  • Options
    It seems as easy to do as any other type of insurance to me.

Everyone pays home and contents insurance but the amount of destroyed homes (akin to the 5 week stay) is small enough to let the insurance cover the costs of them and make money on top as well. The same goes for car insurance as well. You pay a few hundred quid a year and the insurance company hopes that you won't write off half a dozen sports cars.

The higher risk you are the more you have to pay. Lowering your risks by being demonstrably healthier would lower your costs.

Most insurance companies assess this kind of risk all the time. You are asked health questions in relation to mortgages and larger loans already so the risk analysis would be identical but what they are paying out for would be different.
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    O.K. but I don`t know anything about the tariff pricing scheme.I was wondering how it broke down,if anyone knows for sure.Presumably the accountants could tell me in great detail,but I was curious for a "simple" breakdown.

seeker

for example (don't have exact figures as I am at home not work)

an NHS bed can cost up to £700 a night when you factor everything in (ie staff, electric, security, heating, food, etc.
    £700 x 7 x 5 = £24500
  • Options
    hobbs wrote:
    for example (don't have exact figures as I am at home not work)

an NHS bed can cost up to £700 a night when you factor everything in (ie staff, electric, security, heating, food, etc.
    £700 x 7 x 5 = £24500

£700 a night ? Would I be right in thinking most of that is "staff" i.e.wages?

seeker
  • Options
    seeker wrote:
    £700 a night ? Would I be right in thinking most of that is "staff" i.e.wages?

seeker

as I said this is an example (and its per 24hr period) - and yes, I expect most of it is staff - - ie nurses, Consultant, Ref, SHO, health care assistants, ward managers, med secs, hotel services. etc

£700 sounds a lot but it breaks down to £30 an hour
    a consultant earning £100k/yr would have a gross cost of about £60 an hour - that is £1 a minute!

it soon adds up - which is why the NHS is good value (but needs continual investment).