Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Punk/Racist Shop Assistants.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    MrG wrote:
    well i got charged £5 by an hsbc machine in erm 199* something, like 8/9

Really? As far as I can remember, they haven't charged since the late 1980's.
    MrG wrote:
    and to be honest i see your point, but whine at the banks for the lack of machines, if there isnt any there at all, then you would have to walk anyway, if someone (private firm) puts one there, then why should they have to put it there for free?

they would only put it there for the money thats in it

I guess my point is that I don't think they should be provided by private companies.
  • Options
    The problems with the Link network and fee-paying ATMs are not linked.

I quite agree, the free network isn't anywhere near good enough, with many places completely absent from it. Many estates are, and in rural Britain you can have to travel 25 miles to get to an ATM, or any other place that dispenses cash (such as the Co-Op, who allow cashback on any purchase over £1). That is wrong, and I agree with you on that: post offices and banks shouldn't be closed because they "lose" money, unless there is a local alternative that is free.

The lack of exposure of Link in certain areas (usually poor or dispersed) causes the rise of fee-charging ATMs, but the fact does remain that these companies are charging for a service that otherwise wouldn't be there, and if fee-charging was withdrawn the service would be withdrawn.

Charging in a pub or club isn't wrong, and I think your anger seems to be misplaced. Banks and the Post Office are putting profit before people by not keeping local branches open. Fee-charging ATMs are, because of the fee, enabling companies and local stores to provide a service that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Banks dabbled with charging in the mid-90s too, I seem to remember, although that was largely limited to the thieves at Barclays and HSBC.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Really? As far as I can remember, they haven't charged since the late 1980's.

I guess my point is that I don't think they should be provided by private companies.

again i will say, if people dont want to have to pay for them they dont have to use them
    which puts them in the same position as they would be if there were not there, they would have to walk

so if them been there isnt going to change the situation of those who wont use them, lets think of the service they provide that will be utilisedby those who use it
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The problems with the Link network and fee-paying ATMs are not linked.

I quite agree, the free network isn't anywhere near good enough, with many places completely absent from it. Many estates are, and in rural Britain you can have to travel 25 miles to get to an ATM, or any other place that dispenses cash (such as the Co-Op, who allow cashback on any purchase over £1). That is wrong, and I agree with you on that: post offices and banks shouldn't be closed because they "lose" money, unless there is a local alternative that is free.

The lack of exposure of Link in certain areas (usually poor or dispersed) causes the rise of fee-charging ATMs, but the fact does remain that these companies are charging for a service that otherwise wouldn't be there, and if fee-charging was withdrawn the service would be withdrawn.

Charging in a pub or club isn't wrong, and I think your anger seems to be misplaced. Banks and the Post Office are putting profit before people by not keeping local branches open. Fee-charging ATMs are, because of the fee, enabling companies and local stores to provide a service that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Banks dabbled with charging in the mid-90s too, I seem to remember, although that was largely limited to the thieves at Barclays and HSBC.

Right, you're starting to make a bit more sense again. I pretty much agree, banks make enough profit anyway by essentially not doing much at all, so its scandalous that they don't provide free ATM's. Private ones are not the answer however.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Right, you're starting to make a bit more sense again. I pretty much agree, banks make enough profit anyway by essentially not doing much at all, so its scandalous that they don't provide free ATM's. Private ones are not the answer however.

i agree that private ones are not the answer, though i have and problywill in the future use chargin atms

like one time in durham students union i thought it was worth been charged a pound not to have to walk for ages
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i agree that private ones are not the answer, though i have and problywill in the future use chargin atms

like one time in durham students union i thought it was worth been charged a pound not to have to walk for ages

Surely your student union shop gives cash back??
  • Options
    it was after the shop shut and i was in for a music event
  • Options
    I work in the Co-op in my village, which is an Oxford, Swindon and Gloucester one. There are several different regions of Co-op in the UK (sneaky, because your dividend and staff discount cards will only work in the region that they were issued!)
    In my Co-op at least
    -there is no minimum spend limit for any card, and no minimum spend limit to get cashback.
    -maximum cashback on one transaction is £50, so that if the card is a fake, the Co-op won't have lost so much money.

Standing on a till for 7 hours is a nightmare, at the start of the day you hate it because you still have 6/7 hours to go, and at the end you hate it because you have been on there so long and want to get off.
    It gets me down when customers are rude, and think that they know how to do your job better than you do. I'm not rude to customers, but if they are rude or behave unacceptably towards me then I don't go out of my way to be nice, and don't often smile. (I look weird when I serve smelly people though, because I have to hold my breathe!)

If the signature on the back of the card is illegible, then we are allowed to ask for another form of ID with your name and signature on (ie driving licence) to confirm your identity.

There is also a cash machine in the shop, run by the Cooperative Bank, and it doesn't charge. However, you shouldn't trust it, or rely on it in any way, because more often than not it is empty (it's a big village to be catered for by one cashpoint!) or broken. I really, really hate it when people assume that it is our fault it is broken, even though we have nothing to do with it, and can't even get into it.
  • Options
    I work in the Co-op in my village, which is an Oxford, Swindon and Gloucester one. There are several different regions of Co-op in the UK (sneaky, because your dividend and staff discount cards will only work in the region that they were issued!)
    In my Co-op at least
    -there is no minimum spend limit for any card, and no minimum spend limit to get cashback.
    -maximum cashback on one transaction is £50, so that if the card is a fake, the Co-op won't have lost so much money.

Standing on a till for 7 hours is a nightmare, at the start of the day you hate it because you still have 6/7 hours to go, and at the end you hate it because you have been on there so long and want to get off.
    It gets me down when customers are rude, and think that they know how to do your job better than you do. I'm not rude to customers, but if they are rude or behave unacceptably towards me then I don't go out of my way to be nice, and don't often smile. (I look weird when I serve smelly people though, because I have to hold my breathe!)

If the signature on the back of the card is illegible, then we are allowed to ask for another form of ID with your name and signature on (ie driving licence) to confirm your identity.

There is also a cash machine in the shop, run by the Cooperative Bank, and it doesn't charge. However, you shouldn't trust it, or rely on it in any way, because more often than not it is empty (it's a big village to be catered for by one cashpoint!) or broken. I really, really hate it when people assume that it is our fault it is broken, even though we have nothing to do with it, and can't even get into it.

its not just youthat feels bad about your job :P
  • Options

Thought that was just me! :lol:

I'm actually not as good as you. I'm perfectly pleasant to people most of the time, but I can get a teensy bit stressed if someone is asking stupid questions when I'm really busy (I don't normally work on tills, more of a customer service person). I know it's not very fair sometimes, as I'm sure what I think is a silly question might not be to some, I just get easily frustrated sometimes. Best question recently was "If I buy this disk (cd/dvd burning software), does that mean I don't need to buy a dvd writer?". I do appreciate that some people might not be as clued up on technology, but I was rather amused. :)
  • Options
    i was having a bad night at work, was quiet, literally walking laps around the place waiting for people to finish their drinks and then load the glass washer up, but was mainly bottle in the bit i was doing

nothing majorly bad, nothing much bad at all, what made my day was having a 5/10 minute on and off chat with a couple of guys i knew and hadnt seen in a couple of years

jobs a good un