Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Punk/Racist Shop Assistants.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    why on earth are all shop attendents so damned rude these days.

All shop assistants? Bit of a generalisation ;)

Try not to forget that shop assistants deal with rude customers every day, are generally paid poorly and that working on a till is a mind-numbing, repetitive and boring task. Although that doesn't really excuse rudeness but hey.
  • Options
    To debate on this thread a bit:

why on earth are all shop attendents so damned rude these days. I asked this lady today to check my change because I thought she had shortchanged me and she just said 'nah thats right' like she was going 'no worries mate, you're wrong'. Like she was apoligising for me asking. I'm well within my rights to ask to check a transaction, if she thought she'd given me too much change and asked me to check, I would straight away, I wouldn't say "no it's ok you gave me the right change :) don't worry", it's almost like being slapped without being slapped.

I've never been rude to a customer in my life! I go out of my way to make them happy, if ever theres rudeness its from the customers!
  • Options
    I've just checked with my mum, I did hand over a twenty. Bloody cow, bet shes spending my extra £10 on booze and fags right now. Some people in this world... I wasn't 100% sure whether it was a tenner or not when she said it, because you don't mix up a £20 and a £10 do you? So I let her have the benefit of the doubt. My mum said she might of just shoved it in the £10 draw automatically... but when I asked her surely she would have realised.

Mum says not to worry, but I really do feel cheated :(

Many shop assistants these days need their attitude sorting out though. Sometimes when I ask for something they go 'wot?' at me like I'm silly. Maybe it's because I'm 17, but all the same, I give them respect, saying please etc, they should respect me too. It's silly but your body language does come off quite a lot and you can tell when a shop assistant doesn't like you, and don't try to hide it. Le sigh.
  • Options
    I've just checked with my mum, I did hand over a twenty. Bloody cow, bet shes spending my extra £10 on booze and fags right now. Some people in this world... I wasn't 100% sure whether it was a tenner or not when she said it, because you don't mix up a £20 and a £10 do you? So I let her have the benefit of the doubt. My mum said she might of just shoved it in the £10 draw automatically... but when I asked her surely she would have realised.

Many shop assistants these days need their attitude sorting out though. Sometimes when I ask for something they go 'wot?' at me like I'm silly. Maybe it's because I'm 17, but all the same, I give them respect, saying please etc, they should respect me too. It's silly but your body language does come off quite a lot and you can tell when a shop assistant doesn't like you, and don't try to hide it. Le sigh.

You'd be within your rights to ask the manager if the tills where £10 up at the end of the day. But then from a shop assistants point of view i have people insisting they gave me a tenner instead of a five, when i know perfectly well they havent. Some people try it on in each shop. But if your sure you were short changed managers keep records of the takings and if the tills are up or down, so they'd tell if you were or not.
  • Options
    Anyone spot the irony?

Wutch u talkin' bout 'son?
  • Options

Call the shop. And when they count up the money, they can return the money if they find that they have that much extra.
  • Options
    What everyone else has said.

It's happened to me before on the Sydney metro, and I had to go back to the station the next day to collect my money. The dozy bint had been counting $10 notes, so assumed my $20 was $10 when she gave change.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    I've never been rude to a customer in my life! I go out of my way to make them happy, if ever theres rudeness its from the customers!
    Same, I give good service unless the person is rude first.
  • Options
    Same, I give good service unless the person is rude first.

I find that if people are rude to me their more likely to complain, so i'm extra nice back so they have nothing to complain about!
  • Options
    As above, if you go back to the shop Shyboy, they should be able to check if the till was £10 over at the end of the day.

The same happened to me in Sainsburys and I didn't realise till I got home. They gave me my tenner the next day no probs. Did help to have the receipt of course.
  • Options
    at sainsburys they will give it you back if you are certain and the tills were up.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Go to the bank and get it there. You can get it free at bank ATMs, or at bank counters.

Why should you not pay for the convenience of having the ATM in the pub?

Because its my money.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Why should a private company not be allowed to charge for offering a service of convenience?

Because its my money.
  • Options
    :banghead:

"it's my money!!11!!" isn't a good enough reason, I'm afraid. The money in the ATM isn't yours, it's the ATM machine operator's, if we're going to be strict about it. Your bank- which is where your money is- have nothing to do with the ATM operator. You pay them £11 to take £10 of their money. Seems fair to me.

If you don't want to pay £1, then find a free machine. There are enough of them about. If you want convenience, you pay for it. I don't like paying for the use of an ATM, so instead of using the fee-charging machine in the off-license across the street (a machine that wasn't there six months ago, for the record) I walk up to the supermarket instead.
  • Options
    Its my money is a good enough reason. Its my money, if I want it, I should be able to get it without paying for the privilege. End of.
  • Options
    But you can get it without paying for it. That's the whole point. If you don't like paying for ATMs, then don't be lazy and walk to a free one.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    :banghead:

"it's my money!!11!!" isn't a good enough reason, I'm afraid. The money in the ATM isn't yours, it's the ATM machine operator's, if we're going to be strict about it. Your bank- which is where your money is- have nothing to do with the ATM operator. You pay them £11 to take £10 of their money. Seems fair to me.

If you don't want to pay £1, then find a free machine. There are enough of them about. If you want convenience, you pay for it. I don't like paying for the use of an ATM, so instead of using the fee-charging machine in the off-license across the street (a machine that wasn't there six months ago, for the record) I walk up to the supermarket instead.

i understand aobut paying for convenience

would you complain if banks themselves were charging though
  • Options
    Yes, I would complain if banks were charging. Banks should not be allowed to charge you for getting your money out, either using an ATM or using the bank counter staff.

But these fee-paying machines are not owned by the bank, and it is the bank that is holding your money, not the charging machine operators. Where the bank sells ATMs to fee-charging companies that is wrong, I've already said that, but I don't see the problem with companies setting up charging machines in addition to the free network.

There's a machine in the offy across the street. I won't pay to get cash out, so I walk up to Morrisons and use the bank machine there instead. There's a charging machine in the pub, but if I run out of money I will walk out of the pub into the station and use the free machine.

Fee-charging machines are charging you for convenience. I don't see what is so terrible about that.
  • Options
    Fee charging machines are often installed in poor areas where there are no free cash machines. Do you think that is OK?
  • Options
    It is not OK that banks refuse to install free machines in those areas.

If a charging machine has replaced a free one it is not OK, such as what Alliance and Leicester and the Royal Mail have done with the Post Office network of machines.

But if a charging machine has been installed where there was previously no machine at all, I don't think it's terrible, no. People there have access to money when they previously had none. They can choose to walk, like they did before the machines went in, or they can pay.
  • Options
    Typical Liberal, putting profit before people.
  • Options
    *yawn*

Were there free machines in these areas before? No. So what are you whingeing about?

Remove the ability to charge fees, and the machines would go. Simple fact.

Why is making people walk an extra 1/2 mile "putting profits before people"? Because laziness is more important?
  • Options
    I find it disgusting that some people think that private profit is more important than people. If you think that everyone can walk that 1/2 mile, or that is all people have to travel, you've led a very sheltered life.
  • Options
    Should there be one in every house the Blagsta?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    I find it disgusting that some people think that private profit is more important than people. If you think that everyone can walk that 1/2 mile, or that is all people have to travel, you've led a very sheltered life.

half a mile takes about 6 minutes to walk

and those machines as kermit said would be non existant if it wasnt for the charges

so you would have to walk that distance anyway
    i remember when banks used to charge at ATMS

now they dont
  • Options
    If there aren't free bank-operated machines in an area, then the banks are at fault, and the banks should have to rectify it. But if there's a free machine on an estate then its fine.

Fee-charging machines are not the problem. Before the fee-charging machines were installed people had to travel, ban fee-charging machines and people will have to travel.

Most fee-charging machines I have seen have been in pubs, clubs or in newsagents or petrol stations. Charging people a fee in clubs or pubs isn't unreasonable I don't think, people have the option to carry money in with them. Most people have a free machine reasonably close, and it is up to them whether they walk or drive to the free machine or pay for the convenience.

Charging people for convenience is not putting profit ahead of people. Although its not a point I'd expect you to grasp, as you seem to think everyone should get everything for nothing. And as MoK asks, should every house have an ATM?
  • Options
    there is a fee charging machine in our post office and if you go to use it the lady charges out and tells you off coz its free to get it over the counter.
  • Options
    Should there be one in every house the Blagsta?

Why do you think that I might do? :confused:
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    half a mile takes about 6 minutes to walk

and those machines as kermit said would be non existant if it wasnt for the charges

so you would have to walk that distance anyway
    i remember when banks used to charge at ATMS

now they dont

Some people can't walk 1/2 mile (which takes more like 10 - 12 minutes for the average person). Some people live more than 1/2 mile away from an ATM. And I dunno how old you are, but I don't remember banks charging at ATM's. Although iirc, you used to have to pay if you used a machine from another bank rather than your own, before the Link network, but this was back in the 80's I think.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    Some people can't walk 1/2 mile (which takes more like 10 - 12 minutes for the average person). Some people live more than 1/2 mile away from an ATM. And I dunno how old you are, but I don't remember banks charging at ATM's. Although iirc, you used to have to pay if you used a machine from another bank rather than your own, before the Link network, but this was back in the 80's I think.

well i got charged £5 by an hsbc machine in erm 199* something, like 8/9

and to be honest i see your point, but whine at the banks for the lack of machines, if there isnt any there at all, then you would have to walk anyway, if someone (private firm) puts one there, then why should they have to put it there for free?

they would only put it there for the money thats in it