Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Punk/Racist Shop Assistants.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You know, he's starting to sound like an earlier member. The one who had a website about "rants"...
  • Options
    Most small shops have a minimum spend of £5 or £10 on a credit card.
  • Options
    I think your being too hard on him, if he gets that "your out to steal" attitude cause he's black that would piss me off a lot as well.
    Asians are normally the most openly racist people the most anti balck comments Iv heard came from them so I could quite beleive it what he's saying.

the more pertinante question is did he react in the correct way, perhaps he should have been calm and asked why do you want to know that, chalenged her perception.

Its easy from middle class white people in nice middle class areas who never get watched in shops or are rarely under automatic suspicion of being theives
    To be quick to use the label racist when some one makes such a comment.

Is this a site for pollitically correct middle class white liberals only, Im not saying there should be racist views posted but a bit of acceptance of reality and people venting their justifialible anger wouldnt go a miss
  • Options
    difficult shop assistants

Er maybe you should have asked her...is it 'cos I is black?' etc, or which ever (blank) pertains to you. I can understand your annoyance BUT sometimes these things are not racism, but procedure. Sometimes it is racism though, but it's not worth getting upset or angry, especially when you're not 100 per cent sure. At the end of the day, this is minor, can you not hadle yourself better and say politely, why are you asking me for ID and not this lady in front (not referring to her race or anything like that.) At the end of the day, I've been asked for extra ID in banks to draw out a pidlling tenner (I don't think many others are consistently asked their mother's maiden name. I've been followed round shops by black, white and asian security guards. I've been asked in a designer shop in Arizona, US, yes, ma'am can you really afford this. I was staying with a rich black family out there and at the end of teh day America still cannot or does not want to embrace rich black folk. When the people I was satying with flashed the cash they weren't happy at all. Put their snobbish noses out of joint, of course the phenomena of black trash exists as well in America, but there is no way I can fit into a ghetto girl stereotype. These things are all about judging people at face value and this is probably what this Asian girl did to you. Get over it: if you've had abuse shouted at you at the street, been outwardly insulted, stop-searched without explanation, detained for questioning on suspicion of being an illegal immigrant even when you've had your British passport to hand, are stopped and searched EVERY SINGLE TIME you go through the security check point in an airport (even tho u made no bleeping noises) the last two have happened to me, then maybe you have something to moan about. In the meantime there's no point being racist yourself, just because you think thisd Asian girl has been racist to you. By calling her an Asian bitch you are stooping to her covert level of racism. At the end of teh day calling someone an 'Asian bitch' is as offensive as all the people who resort to calling men of colour 'black bastards' in their ignorant anger.
  • Options
    Cornelis wrote:
    Now i doubt this is the wrong forum for this but i dont care. But every time i'm ina shop either it be clothes/supermarket etc .. i get asked for identification when I supply my credit card. for example today was in CO-OP supermarket buying a pepsi, daily mirror & pringles the caucasian lady in front of me purchased her crap with a credit card fair enough it was my rurn the stupid asian bitch asked me for identification then asked me what was my first name naturually i told her "you dont ever need to know my name" then after saying that the lady behind me said "you wouldnt ever need to be asked any details love" and the lady accepted my card and gave me a dirty COLD look whilst i was leaving this aint the first time it happens every damn day .... and not only pisses me off it gets me so damn angry to the point of crushing some skulls was wondering if this happens to you?

I work at a co op food store. Firstly we hate the abusive racist customers, secondly if you look young for your age its policy to check these things out, as only 18 year + are allowed credit cards. So for example if someone who looks 16 has one it's natural to be suspicious. My advice either shop somewhere else or get some proof of age!
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

The co-op spend is £3.
  • Options
    Its easy from middle class white people in nice middle class areas who never get watched in shops or are rarely under automatic suspicion of being theives

It's just as well we aren't all white middle class people in nice middle class areas then isn't it? Jeez, what a presumption to make!
  • Options
    Asians are normally the most openly racist people the most anti balck comments Iv heard came from them so I could quite beleive it what he's saying.

Is that all Asians then?

:hyper:
  • Options
    Cornelis wrote:
    Now i doubt this is the wrong forum for this but i dont care. But every time i'm ina shop either it be clothes/supermarket etc .. i get asked for identification when I supply my credit card. for example today was in CO-OP supermarket buying a pepsi, daily mirror & pringles the caucasian lady in front of me purchased her crap with a credit card fair enough it was my rurn the stupid asian bitch asked me for identification then asked me what was my first name naturually i told her "you dont ever need to know my name" then after saying that the lady behind me said "you wouldnt ever need to be asked any details love" and the lady accepted my card and gave me a dirty COLD look whilst i was leaving this aint the first time it happens every damn day .... and not only pisses me off it gets me so damn angry to the point of crushing some skulls was wondering if this happens to you?

Why the flippin' heck would you be asked for identification to buy a pepsi, daily mirror and pringles?
  • Options
    Er, Spliffie, if you want to ask a question, rhetorical, or otherwise, there's no need for 'fuck' to be in the sentence, got that?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Why the fuck would you be asked for identification to buy a pepsi, daily mirror and pringles?

because he was using a credit card
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    because he was using a credit card

Probably more to it than that.
  • Options
    mazza wrote:
    Er, Spliffie, if you want to ask a question, rhetorical, or otherwise, there's no need for 'fuck' to be in the sentence, got that?

Ok, "Mazza", are you happy now?
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Probably more to it than that.

He probably either looks too young to have a credit card or the signature was faded.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

Or they charge extra...pain in the arse when you stay in a town where the ATMs have a tendency to not work.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Or they charge extra...pain in the arse when you stay in a town where the ATMs have a tendency to not work.

ATM's are awful depending on where you live they charge you up to £5 to get your own money out! :mad:
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    ATM's are awful depending on where you live they charge you up to £5 to get your own money out! :mad:

Are you serious? Most I've paid is £1.50 for an ATM and I thought that was too much. But £5 is taking the piss.

But using a credit card for anything small seems a bit out to me. I don't think there's any minimum amount for credit cards at supermarkets though. Same with debit cards but I think debit cards count same as cash anyway? I know the shop pays a charge when the customer uses credit card but I don't think it's the same with debit cards?
  • Options
    Are you serious? Most I've paid is £1.50 for an ATM and I thought that was too much. But £5 is taking the piss.

But using a credit card for anything small seems a bit out to me. I don't think there's any minimum amount for credit cards at supermarkets though. Same with debit cards but I think debit cards count same as cash anyway? I know the shop pays a charge when the customer uses credit card but I don't think it's the same with debit cards?

Read an article on it, i think its mostly London and out of the way places that charge so much. And as for the credit card, i only know from my own shop where i work, but i work at the coop (the shop thats in question) and theres a £3 minimum spend on all cards.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:

I've heard about this actually, and I can't really believe the audacity of charging up to £5 to withdraw money from a bank. It's meant to become "widespread" from what I can remember. Grrr!
  • Options
    I've never seen an ATM charge £5. Not even the one in the pub I go to.

More cock-and-bull from the media.

The ATMs that charge are owned by private companies. Why should they provide a service for free?

If the card doesn't look like it belongs to you, then they are entitled to ask for ID. If you are going to be racist about the shop assistant doing he rjob, then she was right to suspect you.

I don't think this creature is a troll. That scares me. And again people fail to see why I don't think stupid clueless racist morons should be allowed to vote.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

The ATMs that charge are owned by private companies. Why should they provide a service for free?

because its my money and if I want it, I shouldn't have to pay for the privilege
  • Options
    yeah the whole charging to pull out your own cash really sucks balls, there isn't any close round my uni that don't, and i heard most banks are shutting down their ATMs slowly, which are being replaced by these bastard ones that charge, its completely out of order like we don't get screwed enough already......
  • Options
    Go to the bank and get it there. You can get it free at bank ATMs, or at bank counters.

Why should you not pay for the convenience of having the ATM in the pub?
  • Options
    so i have to trek all the way to the bank to get MY money out.......? banks are closing down their ATMs as it really makes no difference to them, another expense they can cut out at our convenience...........what it comes down to is they don't give a shit. and the greedy private companies know most people can't be arsed to trek 30-40 mins down the road to whoop out a tenner so they charge for the priviledge..........and 1.50 is greedy, they must make a couple hundred everyday just from the one in the su bar, because there's no alternative......doesn't get more low down than robbing students blind.
  • Options
    Why should a private company not be allowed to charge for offering a service of convenience?

Banks shouldn't be allowed to charge for the use of ATMs, because bank ATMs do not offer econvenience, they allow their customers to get to their own money.

But leave the selling-off of bank ATms out of the equation, as that is nothing to do with the private companies who own ATMs. The Simple question is: why should a company be prevented from making money from offering a service of great convenience? I seriously doubt that there isn't a free ATM within 40 minutes of a students union.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Why should a private company not be allowed to charge for offering a service of convenience?

Banks shouldn't be allowed to charge for the use of ATMs, because bank ATMs do not offer econvenience, they allow their customers to get to their own money.

But leave the selling-off of bank ATms out of the equation, as that is nothing to do with the private companies who own ATMs. The Simple question is: why should a company be prevented from making money from offering a service of great convenience? I seriously doubt that there isn't a free ATM within 40 minutes of a students union.

I'm sorry you cannot ignore the banks shutting down these ATMs, if there wasn't these crappy replacements there would be an outrage, banks only get away with it because there is this 'substitute'.........i wouldn't be surprised if the fooking banks owned these private companies and it was just another scam.....

and i'd like you to find me one then, there was one near the co-op, still 15 mins away, which has been out of order for about 5 months now.....other than that you have to go all the way to the high street........when you need a score for an 1/8th that is the last thing on your mind.
  • Options
    You can get cashback at most supermarkets, I guess that's an alternative to private ATM's.

I kinda agree with Kermit though on private ATM’s in pubs and other places where you wouldn’t normally expect to find one. Paying a quid or so there doesn’t seem so much of a big deal.

But banks which sell off cash points to private companies who charge should be boycotted. That’s disgusting and just a complete rip off. ATM’s save banks money, since ATM’s came in and more people started to use them it’s saved the banks millions as they can employ less cashiers and people in the branch.
  • Options
    I completely agree with disillusioned.

Banks, being institutions which look after money for people, are responsible for allowing as many people as possible to access their money. It is reprehensible that certain banks (Alliance and Leicester being the worst) are selling their ATMs off, and should be prevented.

But private ATMs are a separate issue. Where fee-charging machines have replaced free ones it is a disgrace, but where fee-charging machines have been installed in addition to the free Link network it is perfectly acceptable. In many places there are now machines which were never there before, and there is nothing wrong with charging a quid to provide that service. You could, after all, make sure you have enough money with you before you enter the SU- I still doubt whether it is a 2.5 mile walk to a free ATM from the SU, though.
  • Options
    Doesn't make any difference if it is.

You want convenience then it comes with a price.
  • Options
    To debate on this thread a bit:

why on earth are many shop attendents so damned rude these days. I asked this lady today to check my change because I thought she had shortchanged me and she just said 'nah thats right' like she was going 'no worries mate, you're wrong'. Like she was apoligising for me asking. I'm well within my rights to ask to check a transaction, if she thought she'd given me too much change and asked me to check, I would straight away, I wouldn't say "no it's ok you gave me the right change :) don't worry", it's almost like being slapped without being slapped.

eta: sorry, made a sweeping generalisation, I meant 'many', and just threw in all by chance. Most shop attendants are nice. I think the middle aged ones are the best, teenagers are a bit more... touchy