Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Bush and fundies change law to interfere with woman's right to die

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    This is one of the most disgusting and repulsive episodes I have ever heard of:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4367201.stm

I do genuinely feel very sorry for all the decent people of the once-proud America who find themselves living in a fundamentalist theocracy where new laws can be created out of thin air to appease the ultra-right wing Christian fundamentalist lobby.

Absolutely disgusting :no:

I don't see why this is anything to do with America in particular, the same policy is in effect in almost every country in the world to my knowledge. Euthanasia is the exception rather than the rule I beleieve........
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    But fear not because in a matter of hours the hate fundie mob will have their wishes granted by the chimp

Insult your own government.
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    Insult your own government.

Plenty of that on here, but can we not 'insult' anyone else?
  • Options
    Mushy, what vested interest could you possibly have in defending a bunch of increasingly brazen liars? Do you truly believe they give a rats ass about you or anyone else in the country (let alone the world, which they view as theirs for the taking regardless of the cost to our nations youth)?

If you do, you really are gullible.

Read my sig, perhaps its wisdom will teach you something about true civic duty.
  • Options
    Mushy, what vested interest could you possibly have in defending a bunch of increasingly brazen liars? Do you truly believe they give a rats ass about you or anyone else in the country (let alone the world, which they view as theirs for the taking regardless of the cost to our nations youth)?

If you do, you really are gullible.

Read my sig, perhaps its wisdom will teach you something about true civic duty.

Thanks for the insult on my intelligence - however, believe it or not I know a thing or two about the Untied States Constitution. I also know what the country stands for. I can't say I agree with what some people in power are doing right now, but that doesn't mean that I should not be proud of who I am and where I come from. For you to insinuate otherwise is rather offensive.
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Plenty of that on here, but can we not 'insult' anyone else?

just one of those glass houses throwing stones things.
  • Options
    No mushy, the "glass houses" are those inhabited by both the Bush admin and the Blair cabinet equally, not by those here who rightfully condemn one, the other or both.

Those who from the start have stood against this cabal of liars and accomplices in international criminality have every legitimate right to decry those continuing abuses of power. Sad for you that youre so indoctrinated with rabid nationalism (the very evil for which our own media and populace demanded the indictment of Milosevic) that you refuse to hold our own leaders accountable.

Just because you prefer to play the acquiescent sheeple, don't expect others of good conscience to do the same because it disturbs your mindless flagwaving.

As for offensive, as a fellow American who knows far better than you what our leaders are perpetrating outside our shores (whilst misinforming the domestic majority), I find your blithe retorts toward rightful criticism of their lies and actions to be the true offense here. Your responses are just the same old tired Rove-inspired rubbish that has been regurgitated by the misinformed majority in the US since these criminals first seized power in 2000.
  • Options
    I would love to know why you feel you know better than I. How can you say that when you know nothing of what I know. You assume because I don't share exaclty the same opinions as you that I am misinformed. Shame on you.
    Right now I happen to be employed working for the democratic party. I keep an open mind, I work for a better America.
    Would you like to assume anything else about me?
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    I would love to know why you feel you know better than I. How can you say that when you know nothing of what I know. You assume because I don't share exaclty the same opinions as you that I am misinformed. Shame on you.
    Right now I happen to be employed working for the democratic party. I keep an open mind, I work for a better America.
    Would you like to assume anything else about me?

A Democrat who thinks we have no right to criticise Bush........

:wave:
  • Options
    A Democrat who thinks we have no right to criticise Bush........

:wave:

Actually - as I've said eariler - I don't think that this belongs in Congress, but I do think it should be up to the woman's parents to decide. I just think it's funny how people will get off the topic of this woman's life and on the topic of Bush bashing..... especially when Bushy Jr. is Tony Blair. Personally, I'm not a Bush hater, I used to be a republican, when the word "republican" meant something different. I am very much involved in politcs, I chose to work for who I think will do the best job and I don't like to waste my time bashing the other guy. Truth is - the US is in more trouble than ever, and instead of sitting by and watching it happen I'm trying to make a change..... As far as I can say from my own life experience, nothing positive will happen from being negative person. Question - Should I hate my country and be ashamed to be an American because we got 49%? I don't think so - I will do my best to make sure that it doesn't happen again...... in doing so I will remain positive.
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    I just think it's funny how people will get off the topic of this woman's life and on the topic of Bush bashing.....

Do you understand that many people have a major problem believing Bush has any concern whatsoever about the sanctity of life?

That we see the death tolls mounting up in Iraq, and despite that he's still talking about bombing other nations........
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    I don't see why this is anything to do with America in particular, the same policy is in effect in almost every country in the world to my knowledge. Euthanasia is the exception rather than the rule I beleieve........
    Because I doubt that any other country in the western world has a religious right half as powerful as the Christian Right in America. But especially because I doubt any other government and parliament would decide to intervene in a private matter that was being dealt with through the courts, re-write the law overnight and pervert the course of justice in such despicable manner for political and religious reasons.

Like they say, "Only in America..."
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4371789.stm

The judge has decided that Doctors should not resume feeding the woman...
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    I also know what the country stands for.

Well, you are the "world's leading terrorist state"...have committed atrocities across the world for decades...ignored international law and invaded/attacked/flattened entire nations...

Cuba, Sudan, Nicargua, Vietnam, Afghanistan...to name but a few.

You must be very proud :yes: .

And as for the topic being discussed - the woman has no quality of life. Having expressed her own desire to die if such a situation occured, there can be little argument...
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Good point NQA! Surely every persons life is vaulable & precious.

What about the 800,000 people killed in Rwanda between April-June 1994?

If everyone's life is valuable & precious then why are you fighting America's corner? Oh wait...I remember...you only seem to read the right wing tabloid press ;) .

The US government and their military has been responsible for millions of deaths...never heard of General Suharto??
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Well, you are the "world's leading terrorist state"...have committed atrocities across the world for decades...ignored international law and invaded/attacked/flattened entire nations...

Cuba, Sudan, Nicargua, Vietnam, Afghanistan...to name but a few.

You must be very proud :yes: .

And as for the topic being discussed - the woman has no quality of life. Having expressed her own desire to die if such a situation occured, there can be little argument...

Actually, if you were following the "real" story, you would know that she never put anything into writing...... the courts are going by her husbands words.

The actions and the choices made by the leaders of the US do not often reflect the wants of the citizens of the country. I would assume you would know this. The US is certainly not the only country to commit atrocities, but I'd say that's for another debate.

Your personal attacks at me are truely unnecessary.
  • Options
    Mushy24 wrote:
    Actually, if you were following the "real" story, you would know that she never put anything into writing...... the courts are going by her husbands words.

The actions and the choices made by the leaders of the US do not often reflect the wants of the citizens of the country. I would assume you would know this. The US is certainly not the only country to commit atrocities, but I'd say that's for another debate.

Your personal attacks at me are truely unnecessary.

Look, I'm sure the vast majority of people would not want to be have the kind of existence...i know nobody who would choose to live as a vegetable...it's undignified and she has no quality of life. She can't think, feel...nothing.

The Court ruled for her tubes to be removed. The intervention is unneccessary.

You work for the Democratic Party, right? So you're not just a mere citizen whose name has been blackened by your leaders - you're actively supporting a party - a system - which conducts terrorism at will, against international law.

But as you say, for another thread ;) .
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    Look, I'm sure the vast majority of people would not want to be have the kind of existence...i know nobody who would choose to live as a vegetable...it's undignified and she has no quality of life. She can't think, feel...nothing.
    So how far do you go with this line of thinking? Do you advocate killing old people in residentail homes because they suffer from dementia, do you kill babies born with brain damage?
    Who are you to define qulaity of life and who should live and who should die?
    The Nazi's in Germany adopted a policy of such killing and the list when on to include gypsies, homosexuals, and political opponents!
  • Options
    They're not directly killing her, but withdrawing her feeding tube. She can't feed herself and has been unable to do so for 15 years, has shown no real signs of life and most professional medical opinion says she has no chance of recovering.

To all intents and purposes she's already dead...

IMHO to compare it to what the Nazis did is misleading and emotive
  • Options
    By your logic Rich Kid all people that have cancer that arrest should be resuscitated?? The PEG tube is a medical intervention - you cannot force someone to undertake medical therapy ergo the person has every right to refuse it. In Teri's case, her husband is her legal guardian and as such *I think* can refuse any treatment due to the incapacity of his wife to make decisions.

This happens every day all oevr the world.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    So how far do you go with this line of thinking? Do you advocate killing old people in residentail homes because they suffer from dementia, do you kill babies born with brain damage?
    Who are you to define qulaity of life and who should live and who should die?
    The Nazi's in Germany adopted a policy of such killing and the list when on to include gypsies, homosexuals, and political opponents!

is heaven not paradise...is it not the ultimate sanctuary...the women has been going through hell for 15 years...a proper logical christain would accept this and i'm sure you'd agree letting her meet her judgement in heaven is a lot, a lot more compassionate than letting her suffer in this state...