Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Bush and fundies change law to interfere with woman's right to die

This is one of the most disgusting and repulsive episodes I have ever heard of:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4367201.stm

I do genuinely feel very sorry for all the decent people of the once-proud America who find themselves living in a fundamentalist theocracy where new laws can be created out of thin air to appease the ultra-right wing Christian fundamentalist lobby.

Absolutely disgusting :no:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What that woman is experiencing is my worst fear.

To be trapped in a vegetative state such as what this women is in offers no hope of improvement nor release, it is better to let her go then prolong the suffering.
  • Options
    Rejoice! Great news for Pro-Life!
    Just because the husband has gone off with another woman and its "inconvenient" to keep her alive, he wants her dead! Disgusting & immoral.

Our society has cheapened life to a point where some are trying to make abortion, "mercy"(?) killing, assited suicide, withdrawing treatement for the elderly, acceptable - well for some of us it never will be!
  • Options
    The problem with this case is that the woman wont get better she is trapped in her body unable to live without 24 hour medical care. This case has nothing to do with pro-life it is to do with mercy. Letting her die is the right thing to do what is your problem with that?
  • Options
    I hate that government more and more everyday. They have got to be the biggest religious fundamentalists in the world.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote:
    I hate that government more and more everyday. They have got to be the biggest religious fundamentalists in the world.
    Just for saving a life? You are not God.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

For the fact they are basing a lot of what they do on religion.

And George W. Bush is not God either.
  • Options
    what has God got to do with this???

This woman is seriously brain damaged and has been incapitated for 15 years. Would you want to live like that brain damaged to the degree that you cant operate and lead a life. I wouldnt and i would hope someone would put me out of my misery if it happened to me

Is what she experiecning life or is it existance?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:

Neither are you believe it or not. :D

Funny because George Bush Jr has killed so many people both in war and people who are prisoners and tortured and sexually abused people in Guantanamo without a fair trial. Yet he won't give a woman the right to die? That's disgusting... Human rights my arse.
  • Options
    [QUOTE='-[MoonRat]

Funny because George Bush Jr has killed so many people both in war and people who are prisoners and tortured and sexually abused people in Guantanamo without a fair trial.[/quote]
    Don't believe all the left-wing anti-American propaganda you read, take a more objective view.
    Yet he won't give a woman the right to die? That's disgusting... Human rights my arse.
    Her parents want her to continue living!!!!! The fact that her husband has shacked up with another woman just makes it an "inconvienience" as far as he's concerned.
  • Options
    Or maybe he has accepted that she wont get better and has moved on....
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Don't believe all the left-wing anti-American propaganda you read, take a more objective view.

So, he hasn't signed 152 death warrants as governor of Texas, hasn't started a war with Iraq that has seen the deaths of thousands and thousands - (Iraqi, USA and others) and wasn't responsible for Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo Bay.

Thats all left-wing anti-American propaganda is it?

:confused:
  • Options
    some people are so obsessed with Bush its untrue lol

Even Aladdin has his avatar dedicated to him ffs.

Still, I suppose being anti-bush is the main fashion accessory of any left winger these days.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    I beg your pardon...

Look, please don't speak down to me again, it gets tiresome.

So you are claiming that America have never used the death penalty in the past year? You cannot take more of an objective view than pure statistics. As for Guantanamo... Are you aware of the Human Rights Act? Or any piece of writing other than the Bible?
    Still, I suppose being anti-bush is the main fashion accessory of any left winger these days.
    Supporting Human Rights may be a 'fashion accessory', but at least those human rights protesters are working for a better society for me and you. Why is it a fashion accessory anyway? Explain?
  • Options
    left wing right wing what is all that? completely irrelevant, anyone who is pro-bush is an absolute retard.........when will people get its not about left vs right, that's all one big distraction to keep people like you occupied.....
  • Options
    Tommo100 wrote:
    some people are so obsessed with Bush its untrue lol

Even Aladdin has his avatar dedicated to him ffs.

We wouldn't be obessed with him if he weren't a mass murdering god-bothering deranged war criminal responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, illegal wars, a world in turmoil and ever rising global warming.

I do beg your pardon for having an issue with the single most disturbing, dangerous and twisted piece of shite in modern history.

I get the feeling if this were 1938 we could have been having the same conversation over a certain other ruler.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I get the feeling if this were 1938 we could have been having the same conversation over a certain other ruler.

You're being silly Aladdin. Hitler was a bad man ........

However, if Tommo was German in 1938 .......

:yuck:
  • Options
    Chamberlain?

You don't think comparing Bush to Hitler is slight hyperbole?
  • Options
    A bit...

The principle of defending clearly evil malicious murdering bastards still apply. Though I acknowledge Hitler's crimes were much much worse than Bush's of course.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Chamberlain?

You don't think comparing Bush to Hitler is slight hyperbole?

Well, yes, of course there is some exaggeration for effect there. :yes:

Since Hitler, which country has killed the most foreign civilians would you say?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    We wouldn't be obessed with him if he weren't a mass murdering god-bothering deranged war criminal responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, illegal wars, a world in turmoil and ever rising global warming.

I do beg your pardon for having an issue with the single most disturbing, dangerous and twisted piece of shite in modern history.

Who are you talking about, Phoney Blair? ;)
  • Options

Since Hitler, which country has killed the most foreign civilians would you say?
    Why "foreign civilians"? Why not simply "people"?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Why "foreign civilians"? Why not simply "people"?

Sorry, what was your answer to the question?

• Options
    Hard to tell and depends what demographic figures you use. The US has certainly been in two of the bloodiest wars since WW2 (Korea and Vietnam). However plenty of civilian casualties in them weren't caused by US but by either other UN forces, South Koreans, North Koreans, the Chinese etc.

The Soviets/Russians have also managed a lot in Afghanistan (far more than the US caused), plus Hungary (casualties unknown), Chechyna, etc.

But is killing foreign civilians worse than murdering than your own people? In that case the US is far behind the old-USSR, East Germany, Cambodia, North Korea, Vietnam, et, etc
  • Options
    Sorry, what was your answer to the question?

You are obviously signalling and wanting an anti-American reaction just so you can satisfy your own prejudice!
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    But is killing foreign civilians worse than murdering than your own people? In that case the US is far behind the old-USSR, East Germany, Cambodia, North Korea, Vietnam, et, etc
    Good point NQA! Surely every persons life is vaulable & precious.

What about the 800,000 people killed in Rwanda between April-June 1994?
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    Who are you talking about, Phoney Blair? ;)
    As it happens Blair meets some of that criteria, certainly in regard to engaging in illegal wars, causing the deaths of countless civilians (though far fewer than Bush) and helping create a world in turmoil.

He can be quite the religious type I hear, but least unlike Bush he doesn't claim God talks to him and dictates his foreign policy.
  • Options
    Rich Kid wrote:
    You are obviously signalling and wanting an anti-American reaction just so you can satisfy your own prejudice!

And your answer is what exactly?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    but least unlike Bush he doesn't claim God talks to him and dictates his foreign policy.
    A sweeping inaccurate statement designed to bemirsch the good name of the President of the United States. A typical left-wing anti-American ploy, irrational as much as it is incorrect.
  • Options
    LOL, Good name of the President?? Please rich Kid, you're only confirming the worst stereotypes of we Americans by your utterly ridiculous and clearly ideology-rooted soundbites.

Obviously you live in the fantasy-enveloped world as the Commander in Thief and his neocon cohorts themselves.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    This is one of the most disgusting and repulsive episodes I have ever heard of:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4367201.stm

I do genuinely feel very sorry for all the decent people of the once-proud America who find themselves living in a fundamentalist theocracy where new laws can be created out of thin air to appease the ultra-right wing Christian fundamentalist lobby.

Absolutely disgusting :no:

Funny - I'd say I am QUITE PROUD to be an American. I wouldn't knock the US if I were you - you still have Tony Blair.

The parents should have the right to decide if this woman should live or die, not the husband who has decided to move on 12 years ago. I don't know how much media coverage this gets outside of the US but I do know that these parents have hope that their daughter will one day recover and there have been many doctors that will agree with them - the possibility is there. And who should decide what quality of life is - just because her life is not what you or I would want, how do we REALLY know that SHE would want to die (there is no documentation of what she wants).

Sticky situation - I don't believe it belongs in Congress - I do believe it should be up to the parents - who are the ones who still care for her (not the husband).