Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Terminator lives up to his name

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    that the lethal injection he was due to receive was a cruel and unusual punishment

supreme court would never going to allow an appeal on those grounds, i mean its not that unusual if lethal injection kills people every so often around the US
  • Options
    not particularly cruel either tbh. Leathal injection if a very quick and merciful way to die, and I have always been of the opinion that the death penalty was the easy way out.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    not particularly cruel either tbh. Leathal injection if a very quick and merciful way to die, and I have always been of the opinion that the death penalty was the easy way out.

Actually its not, there is this myth about the lethal injection, its not a peaceful way to die, its not pleasant and it shouldnt continue.

The drugs they use have been banned in animal use because they are seen as barbaric.

Basically it stuns the body, so you cant move, but it inflicts terrible pain as the poison does its work.

For one reason or another they have chosen a coctail of drugs that are horrific.

Actually the traditional hanging is the most humane way of doing it if you are going to.

If done properly the neck breaks instantaniously and death is instant.
  • Options
    ok, still, I think death isn't an effective punishment.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    ok, still, I think death isn't an effective punishment.

Well its not, but if you are going to do it then the most humane way should be used, which to my mind is hanging.

The electric chair and the injection are grim and only serve to prove what a barbaric act it is.
  • Options
    i would have thought putting a bullet through someones head from the front would be just as quick and painless
  • Options
    Best ways to execute

Smothering people while their asleep? Decapitation? What about putting people to the mouths of cannon as used in the Indian Mutiny?

By its very nature execution isn't humane.

Though as an aside if the the Californians are only executing someone every 2-3 years and they have 600 people on death row it would take about 1200-1800 years to get through the backlog. Most of these people will die in prison - which seems the best way.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i would have thought putting a bullet through someones head from the front would be just as quick and painless

Yes, but its a lot more messy, and the person doing it has to look the person in the eye, which is bad for morale.
  • Options
    There is nothing moral about killing a human being.

Those advocating the death penalty should be made to perform it themselves- and using a gun as well. Let the blood splatter their faces.
  • Options
    I wasnt suggesting there is anything moral in it, I'm firmly against it myself.

I just feel if a country is going to do it then they should do it in the most humane way.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Those advocating the death penalty should be made to perform it themselves- and using a gun as well. Let the blood splatter their faces.
    I agree.

But I think bong misspelt morale.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Yes, but its a lot more messy, and the person doing it has to look the person in the eye, which is bad for morale.

i would have thought that a doctor who has to look at and inject a death row inmate with lethal crud, wouldnt have a problem killing a man any other way

and as for the status quo of only killing one every 2-3 years, thats still 10 more people dead over 20 years perhaps

and there was uproar in asia when 10 brits were declared dead, i know the total is more now, but it seemed that a british life during reporting was worth more than an asian one
  • Options
    Schwarzenegger did not "terminate" this murderer... he simply refused to circumvent the laws of California, and violate the chosen will of the populace of that state. I expect that the Govenor will shortly be called a "murder" by those of this forum, just as GWB has been labeled a "murderer" because he chose to not stand in the way of a lawful sentence.

These men were not prosecutor, judge, or jury. The murderer in the situation? Was the cretin who HAD the chance for reformation, but chose not to. So much for the bleeting sheep protesting to "give him another chance". He had already served a sentence for murder, and did it again. He threw away his chance... let him reap his rightful reward.

If you do not approve of a death sentence? Then do not come to the United States, and commit a capital offense. While you (collectively) believe that the penal system is about reformation, the majority (by elective process) in this sovereign nation hold to the premise that occaisonally, one must flush the toilet. While you believe that the refusal to flush the toilet puts you (as a nation) on some higher moral plain... we believe that it simply befouls the air. While you choose your laws - and rightfully so - we choose ours. And should we venture into your little country? We are bound to obey your laws, even when they conflict with ours.

You want to lay some blame? Then direct it to the cretin getting stupid concerning drugs. Not Schwarzenegger's fault that the reprobate decided to murder two individuals in a "drug dispute"... Your beloved "victim" brought that upon himself.
  • Options
    i call george bush a muderer not because of anything he did while in texas
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Yet you advocate that for GWB?

Found the testicular requisites within yourself to do the deed? Or simply more empty rhetoric by a self-possessed hypocrite?

Got the spine to get your own hands wet? Or still the lemon jello back?
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:

But I think bong misspelt morale.

Then you should learn to spell... :yes:
  • Options
    Globe wrote:
    While you (collectively) believe that the penal system is about reformation, the majority (by elective process) in this sovereign nation hold to the premise that occaisonally, one must flush the toilet.

The majority of Americans? Is that why it only happens in a few states?
  • Options
    Main reasons to be against the Death Penalty:

1. It's stupidly more expensive.
    2. It's the easy way out: why else are/were Brady, West, Shipman and Huntley so desperate to kill themselves?
    3. Unless you go to 867 different appeals, then I don't trust the police to not fit up the wrong man. Look up the Birmingham Six and Guildford Four; if we still had the death penalty then they'd have got their acquittals from six feet under. Which isn't very helpful.

Interesting to note that stistics have shown that as soon as the DP is outlawed, within a gneration it is seen by most people as cruel, barbaric and disgusting. It happened in the UK, France, Germany and countless other places.

For a country that slaughters (often literally) anyone who "plays God", I find it bizarre that they feel morally capable of doing just that in these cases.
  • Options
    As previously stated the death penalty does seem the 'easy way out', although i am against it for the reason that idoes it really work? Surely punishment is supposed to act as some kind of deterant and the ultimate sacrifice would be your life, but America still has outstanding homocide rates so the point isn't really getting across.
    Personally i would find the prospect of being locked up for all eternity a more daunting and trying experience.
  • Options
    The biggest detterent to crime isn't the punishment, but whether you think you'll be caught. And many murderers think they'll get away with it.
  • Options
    Glad to see they're playing up the 'Culture of Life' :yeees:
  • Options
    Globe wrote:
    Yet you advocate that for GWB?

Found the testicular requisites within yourself to do the deed? Or simply more empty rhetoric by a self-possessed hypocrite?

Got the spine to get your own hands wet? Or still the lemon jello back?
    For someone who spends so much time trolling around and lurking on this forum, you don't seem to notice or remember much that gets said...

Had you paid a bit more attention, you would know that I have always been against the death penalty, even for evil monsters such as Saddam Hussein or G. W. Bush.

Have you answered to my post on the other thread yet? Do you take matters into your own hands every time you think someone deserves to get something? If you are appalled at, say, L.A. gang violence, do you get your Rambo gear out and catch the first plane to sunny Los Angeles to help wipe out the menace?

You don't make a lot of sense Thanatos. I kind of worry about you...
  • Options
    do the pro life lot support the death penalty?
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    A much better punishment would be keeping him in an American Style prison for life!
    even better would be keeping them in a british prison!
  • Options
    read this then tell me you would feel comfortable in a nieghborhood like this luke ...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/prisons/story/0,7369,1392680,00.html
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    na, American will do titfor me! He is getting no playstation and early release! :p
    luke ...with all respect mate you know nothing about prisons!
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    may well not know much but there is an early release scheme which should be abolished. At least I don't get my info from the likes of a newspaper. A newspaper which is totally liberal and biased.

there you go again, now i'd like to know why you think it should be abolished, that way we can have a debate.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    may well not know much but there is an early release scheme which should be abolished. At least I don't get my info from the likes of a newspaper. A newspaper which is totally liberal and biased.
    luke ...the newsfuckingpaper ...is reporting on the officail findings!
    and if your reading what i'm saying ...your getting it from the horses mouth having spent time in her maj's houses across the land!
    the early release scheme makes the place livable for the staff who have to fucking work there!
    if there was no reward for good behaviour the places would just be burnt to the ground ...staff would be stabbed and strangled and raped and ...get me?

luke ...you don't know anything at all about prison life ...here or anywhere else.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    why does someone deserve early release for being good? they have broken the law and should pay for it! Giving them an early release makes the whole system completely laughable imo!

true to a degree, but would you not take circumastances into effect, what if they are truly sorry, behave well in prison and the authorities feel that this perosn is no longer a threat to society, what if you are a drug addict and commit crimes to get money for drugs, you go to prison and get re habilitated, do they not deserve to be let out, i don't believe in giving everyone an early release but some do deserve it and denying them that right is stupid imo.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    i DO NOT believe in the early release scheme OK? Do you accept my opinion?

yet another intelligent response, instead of rolly saying "I BELIEVE IN EARLY RELEASE SCHEMES OK, DO YOU NOT ACCEPT THAT" he actually made a point as to why they should be there, you could at least have the decency to make a similar response, we accept your view but you odn't accept ours, otherwise you'd have a debate