Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The Terminator lives up to his name

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    God i'm beginning to feel sorry for the child, humans are weak, humans make mistakes, in todays world we're told to be perfect and that nothing else is acceptable, what a horrid way to look at things, i'd hate to go through life without commiting a crime or making mistakes because that just simply isn't human, being human is all about learning from mistakes, early release schemes is a recognition of this in most cases, and luke, alot of people are in prison that don't deserve to be there, there are good people who were caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time, you genuinely do look at things in a black and white manner where whatever you think goes, just use a bit of common sense sometimes will ya, it doesn't need a masters in english or politics to see some things you know.
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    God i'm beginning to feel sorry for the child, humans are weak, humans make mistakes, in todays world we're told to be perfect and that nothing else is acceptable, what a horrid way to look at things, i'd hate to go through life without commiting a crime or making mistakes because that just simply isn't human, being human is all about learning from mistakes, early release schemes is a recognition of this in most cases, and luke, alot of people are in prison that don't deserve to be there, there are good people who were caught up in the wrong place at the wrong time, you genuinely do look at things in a black and white manner where whatever you think goes, just use a bit of common sense sometimes will ya, it doesn't need a masters in english or politics to see some things you know.

it will be interesting to see how luke changes much over the next two years, cause 6th form is a different life and changes people cause its less rigid than compulsorary school
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    it will be interesting to see how luke changes much over the next two years, cause 6th form is a different life and changes people cause its less rigid than compulsorary school

definately does, gives you a sense of freedom, i haven't even finished school yet but i am a different person, i think luke needs to open his eyes a bit more, it'll happen some day and he'll know then why we've all been flaming him so much
  • Options
    or his eyes will open, he will realise why we flame him, but will be all our fault still that we didnt try andexplain it to him :razz:
  • Options
    This thread is deeply worrying.

I can appreciate the view that "time must mean time", but it is one that makes no sense. Everyone knows the score, if someone is sentenced to five years then the judges know that they'll be out in three for good behaviour. So if a judge wants them to be in prison for five years, he'll jail them for seven. Your hypothetical paedo won't do ten years if early release is abolished, the judge will sentence him to seven instead. Do you understand this?

Early release is there more to enable the staff to control the prisons as opposed to any other thing. Take hope away from a man and he will not care about anyone else, least of all the guy holding the keys. Take murderers, they are sentenced to life, and if they are let out it is only ever on license. It doesn't matter why you murdered someone, you could murder your rapist or your husband who beats you, it's the same fixed sentence: life. Take away any hope of getting out, take away any hope in life, and why should you toe the line? Either they kill themselves, or they get so angry at how authority has cheated them of life that they kill the guards instead.

You should count yourself lucky Luke: fifty years ago you'd have been in prison if you'd have been gay. Consider that point whilst you pontificate about prisons and desert: one generation ago, and YOU would have been a criminal who would be locked away.

Prison is not a holiday camp, I wish people would realise this. Slopping out is not fun, having no freedom is not fun, having to do what the hard bastards tell you to do is not fun. Behave and your life is made that bit more bearable: perhaps a TV, perhaps a few decks of cards, whatever. behave and you don't have to stay in there as long. There has to be a carrot, otherwise people won't bother: sticks don't work in prison.

ETA: If you believe that people deserve everything they get in prison, then I challenge you to come with me on the 518 bus from Newcastle on visiting day at HMP Pocklington. It's fucking heartbreaking, and Pocklington is only a low-category prison.
  • Options
    reality is ...no one does!
    no human can go through life without breaking the rules.
    I concure.

Kermit, that's one hell of post. I bow to you sir.
  • Options
    I would have said alot was more of a typing error. Whereas theifs and theives is a spelling error.
  • Options
    was that alot or a lot? I think both are accepted generally.
  • Options
    How do you spell the plural of theif exactly? You are not in a position to be complaining about the spelling of other users.
  • Options
    splet? It's spelt. It's hardly changing the subject. You are not in a position to make comment on the spelling of other users
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    the day you guys say I have "opened my eyes" is the day I agree with everything you say.

no its the day you start realising the world isnt so black and white

Last night, when I was posting and I am very tired. I have though and I actually do believe in a early release scheme for certain affenders. Such as Theifs and other petty crimes. I am not sure about murders or paedophiles as these just can't be trusted, especially paedophiles!!!

oh and when you stop back tracking yourself, fair enough you were tired the other night but you seemed pretty adament in what you believed and said, andthen to go back on yourself?
  • Options
    i laughed a lot after reading this page ;)

i spell a lot like that because i've always done it, it's like writting ur or something like that.
  • Options
    lukesh wrote:
    I am not sure about murders

So all murderers, regardless of circumstances, should spend their entire life inside, with no possibility of parole?

'Cause that'd work :rolleyes: