Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

drug compANIES TO PULL OUT?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    and not everyone who agrees with animals having some basic rights not to be tortured and abused, is a militant firebombing nutter.
    I just try and have a bit of respect for other creatures and am not arrogant enough to assume that humans are the only worthwhile creatures on the planet.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    and not everyone who agrees with animals having some basic rights not to be tortured and abused, is a militant firebombing nutter.
    I just try and have a bit of respect for other creatures and am not arrogant enough to assume that humans are the only worthwhile creatures on the planet.

very true, but then again it is very difficult for the non educated to distinguish between thinking humans are not the only worthwhile beings on the planet, and not having the utmost respect for a human life
  • Options
    for essential medicine yes definitely. I dont see how I could make a difference tbh. I wish I did know.
    For his /our non essential products its cruelty free as far as possible, and for food its damage limitation as I said before.
    good ...i know how difficult it is to actualy achieve.
    i'm fortunate in that i have rebelled since childhood against a system i didn't always know but certainly suspected was rotten.
    so here i am growing chickens and green things ...probably next year rabbits as well ...for meat of course. i might just be going into it comercialy as well.
    i recycle ...i buy second hand ...i pass things on ...i'm hoping to produce electricity by the end of next summer ...so yes it does piss me off a bit when i hear city mass consumers and wasters spouting off ...and yes i do assume ...i also know that to assume is to make an ass of u and me before anyone throws it in.
  • Options
    didnt think there was much commercial call for rabbit these days? unless youre breeding them for research (dont start)
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    ...and who told you that one Kentish
    You disagree?
  • Options
    didnt think there was much commercial call for rabbit these days? unless youre breeding them for research (dont start)
    i would refuse to sell to such people to be honest ...
    the market will ave to be created.
    theres an american white that grows to around fifteen pounds in weight ...thats a lot of meat.
    the countryside is growing ever more diverse after years of problems.
    also cos more and more city people are moving in with money and ideas.
    arts and crafts are booming.
    blacksmiths shops are appearing and thriving all over the place. things are changing.
    i have the space and the time and the comitment.
    and a few quid to gamble.
    others ...from the city ...are willing to put up a lot of dosh for all kinds of things rural at the moment ...if i can take a chunk of 'THEIR' money ...i will.
    these people are convinced the market will be created ...by them.
    who am i to argue when they want to part with quids?
    i reckon i can breed around ten thousand rabbits a year ...at around a fiver a time in my pocket ...for very little effort ...i'd be mad not to take their shillings!
  • Options
    by the way ...if you buy cheap you will notice on the label ...'and other meats.'
    legally that covers horse kangaroo frog rabbit snail ...all manner of fish meal and animal entrails and skin.
    so your already eating rabit anyway and so are your pets.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish
    You disagree?
    No. I asked you who told you this.

You seem to make assumptions all the time yet you never seem to offer any back up to those assumptions. I'm only asking you to back it up with some stats and research mate

You didn't just make it up did you?
  • Options
    I separate all my garvage too Rolly and recycle and even turn used batteries in for proper disposal so not all city dwellers are mass consuming goons. Some of us are just trying to eek out a meager existence as best we can before the whole craphouse crumbles.

Btw: Big market for rabbit meat in Belgium if youre interested.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll

so your already eating rabit anyway and so are your pets.
    Im not. I dont buy shit food that doesnt specify what it is. Even my dogs food I pay extra for it to be decent stuff with no unspecified meats, artificial colourings or cheap fillers, as the cheap stuff gives her eczema.
  • Options
    not that I wouldnt eat rabbit if I knew what to do with it.
  • Options
    Says it all really :)

I think so...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I think so...
    Why that is the nicest thing you've said to me in such a long time Fiend

I think I love you
  • Options
    Why that is the nicest thing you've said to me in such a long time Fiend

I think I love you

Aaw, thats so sweet :D
  • Options
    No. I asked you who told you this.

You seem to make assumptions all the time yet you never seem to offer any back up to those assumptions. I'm only asking you to back it up with some stats and research mate

You didn't just make it up did you?
    If you're going to kick off again, I'll make this my last post.

But, an example of bacteria adapting quickly in response to existing drugs is MRSA. Methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus was first seen in the 1970s, 30 years after the penicillins were first used. New drugs are being produced slower than the bacteria are adapting so lengthening the trial period would only make the situation worse. We currently have just a handful of antibiotics that can be used against MRSA. We need more pharmaceutical research, not less.

Am I making that up?
  • Options
    If you're going to kick off again, I'll make this my last post.

But, an example of bacteria adapting quickly in response to existing drugs is MRSA. Methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus was first seen in the 1970s, 30 years after the penicillins were first used. New drugs are being produced slower than the bacteria are adapting so lengthening the trial period would only make the situation worse. We currently have just a handful of antibiotics that can be used against MRSA. We need more pharmaceutical research, not less.

Am I making that up?
    Yeah and a hospital in South Devon reduced the rate of MRSA infections to zero after a 3 month trial....dya know why Kentish?

Fuck it...I'm going to tell you in any case. They doubled the cleaning staff...that's why
  • Options
    Yeah and a hospital in South Devon reduced the rate of MRSA infections to zero after a 3 month trial....dya know why Kentish?

Fuck it...I'm going to tell you in any case. They doubled the cleaning staff...that's why
    What's that got to do with anything? :confused:
  • Options
    What's that got to do with anything? :confused:
    It means that reducing the risk of a lot of infections (MRSA in particular) is down to basic hygiene much more than it is to increasing medication, antibiotics and ultimately animal experiments.
  • Options
    It means that reducing the risk of a lot of infections (MRSA in particular) is down to basic hygiene much more than it is to increasing medication, antibiotics and ultimately animal experiments.
    Yeah, I got that, but that's not an argument against animal testing it's common sense. Reducing MRSA rates isn't rocket science but more cleaning won't reduce the need for medicines generally.
  • Options
    It was you who brought up the subject of mrsa kentish, I think he was just responding to that.
    There is also the point to consider that we are relying far too much on bigger and better medicines. Obviously individual people want themselves and their nearest and dearest to live forever, but is all this for the greater good?
  • Options
    I take the point but MRSA was just an example of the need for new and better drugs. MRSA will not be eradicated by cleaning alone, so the drugs are still needed.

As for the greater good, it goes back to whether you regard animal life and human life on the same level.
  • Options

As for the greater good, it goes back to whether you regard animal life and human life on the same level.
    No it doesnt at all. Nothing of the sort.
    I value human life over animal life in general, but that doesnt mean I think humans a. have the right to use and abuse animals as and when they wish.
    b. should be striving to live longer and longer at any cost. We already have an extremely low mortality rate in the west, and the west are the only ones really benefitting from these medicines and the rich west at that that.
  • Options
    We already have an extremely low mortality rate in the west
    I calculate it to be about 100%...

"At any cost" is subjective. If you don't agree with animal testing avoid the products tested on animals. Most would rather have medical treatment than ban animal testing. It needs to be regulated and limited as much as is possible and safe, but I think animal testing is valid.
  • Options
    I calculate it to be about 100%...

"At any cost" is subjective. If you don't agree with animal testing avoid the products tested on animals. Most would rather have medical treatment than ban animal testing. It needs to be regulated and limited as much as is possible and safe, but I think animal testing is valid.
    yeah yeah you knew what i meant. its getting late now.
    I agree 100% with your statement. It needs to be regulated and limited as much as possible but it does have its uses.
    At the moment unfortunatly it is used far too much and for pointless things. I think it should be completely banned for cosmetics testing.
  • Options
    Agreed.
  • Options
    The gullibility of people who believe that "if a corporation does it, it must be necessary" is touching ........

The very idea that human life can benefit (aside from jobs for carrying out the torture) from inflicting pain and suffering on another species, is, to say the least ........ misfuckingguided - the primary concern of the drug firms now, in the past and in the future is nothing remotely to do with improving the situation of mankind, but 110% to do with making profit for fatcat shareholders.

What works on a rat does not work on me, however much you torture the rat - we are not the same species.....

So, having dipped our toes into MRSA, which is to do with dirty hospitals run by money oriented trusts...... and can be better cured by cleaning hospitals than creating new drugs..... heres some of the SHACarguments against animal testing:

1) Less than 2% of human illnesses (1.16%) are ever seen in animals. Over 98% never are.

2) At least 50 drugs on the market cause cancer in lab animals. They are allowed because it is admitted that animal tests are not relevant.

3) When asked if they agreed that animal experimentation can be misleading because of anatomical and physiological differences between animals and humans, 88% of doctors agreed

4) Rats are 37% effective in identifying what causes cancer in humans. Flipping a coin would be more accurate.

5) According to animal tests lemon juice is deadly poison, but arsenic, hemlock and botulin are safe.

6) 40% of patients suffer side effects as a result of prescription treatment.

7) Thousands of drugs passed safe in animals have been withdrawn or banned due to their effect on human health.

8) Aspirin fails animal tests, as do digitalis (heart drug), cancer treatments, insulin (causes animal birth defects), penicillin and other safe medicines. They would be banned if results from animal experimentation were accurate

9) When the producers of thalidomide were taken to court, they were aquitted after numerous experts agreed animal tests could not be relied on for human medicine.

10) At least 450 methods exist with which we can replace animal experiments.

And so on and on and on.........

Saying that tests are only allowed "if necessary" doesn't mean a thing if you have a framework which accepts continuously flawed and discredited test results as valid.

:eek:
  • Options
    Thanks for that freethepeeps. very enlightening
  • Options
    Rainbow Bright; Cosmetic testing on animals has been banned in the EU, or its coming in soon.

Plus there are moves to ban cosmetics tested on animals outside of the EU.
  • Options
    Thanks for that freethepeeps. very enlightening
    agreed!