Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

drug compANIES TO PULL OUT?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm of the same opinion about stem cell research, I'm not all that keen on it personally (though I can see the potential) but I do really want research to be done here.

The UK has by all accounts really good and tough regulations regarding research.

Its going to happen anyway so it might as well happen here.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Do you want to suggest a better alternative.

Moving the jobs out of the UK will make NO impact on testing what so ever, it will just move it somewhere else, somewhere with less controls than here.

So, in terms of animal welfare its better testing is done here where it can be regulated than elsewhere.

The situation is this - a group of people feel very strongly that it is immoral to torture defenceless animals for some dubious medical and cosmetics experiments - they don't think that writing to their MPss or handing in a petition will make much difference, so they have decided to take direct action - by targetting the companies involved in the practices they abhor.

If they break the law, we have plenty of coppers who can go and arrest them and put them on trial for their actions, but to suggest that they have no right to take steps to put their beliefs into practice is to make a mockery of the very idea of democracy ......

and to say, oh well, we might as well torture dem bunnies, cos if we don't someone else will, is just not dealing with the central issue at all.

Are we going to allow everything that happens anywhere to happen here?

:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by freethepeeps
    The situation is this - a group of people feel very strongly that it is immoral to torture defenceless animals for some dubious medical and cosmetics experiments - they don't think that writing to their MPss or handing in a petition will make much difference, so they have decided to take direct action - by targetting the companies involved in the practices they abhor.

If they break the law, we have plenty of coppers who can go and arrest them and put them on trial for their actions, but to suggest that they have no right to take steps to put their beliefs into practice is to make a mockery of the very idea of democracy ......

and to say, oh well, we might as well torture dem bunnies, cos if we don't someone else will, is just not dealing with the central issue at all.

so bombing peoples houses ...attacking van drivers and their families is direct action?
    i'd call it terrorism.
    legitamate protest has bought into effect many regulations. more legitamate protest can bring in more controls and safeguards.
    the anti terrorism legislation that we are so worried about might actualy be able to be put to good use on these people.
  • Options
    Against my better judgement I will respond to your points.

Where did I say they had "no right" to take steps, I gave several ways, I just said that physical violence is un-acceptable as a form of protest.

As for cosmetic testing, well thats banned in the EU now anyway (or its soon to come into effect) so thats not an issue.

No, I'm not suggesting we allow everything that goes on elsewhere here. I'm suggesting we look at it reasonably on a case by case basis.
  • Options
    Where did I say they had "no right" to take steps, I gave several ways, I just said that physical violence is un-acceptable as a form of protest.

What physical violence have they been using ?- I read "ordering goods maliciously" and "protesting outside peoples houses" ....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/animalrights/story/0,11917,1273275,00.html
  • Options
    So the point being...is it acceptable for us (being a civillised society) to torture animals?
  • Options
    more legitamate protest can bring in more controls and safeguards.

Do you mean in the same way that countless millions "legitimately" protesting the UK's involvement in an illegal war of aggression made the gov see the people's will and duly refrain from sending troops?
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    So the point being...is it acceptable for us (being a civillised society) to torture animals?

Yes, I love it, I poke dogs in the eyes for fun.
  • Options
    Yes, I love it, I poke dogs in the eyes for fun.
    Yeah but we always knew that you were a wanker in anycase :D

Only kidding :)
  • Options
    What physical violence have they been using ?- I read "ordering goods maliciously" and "protesting outside peoples houses" ....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/animalrights/story/0,11917,1273275,00.html

just sick
    http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3742569

intimidation, violence, harassment
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/902751.stm
  • Options
    Yup it's nasty stuff right enough.

So why have so many experiments on animals?
  • Options
    Originally posted by eternalsunshine
    Yup it's nasty stuff right enough.

So why have so many experiments on animals?

Before you start a medical research experiment in this country you have to prove that you could not get the research any other way.

Yes, it is unpleasant, but its far from 'for fun', its serious work and does lead to massive advances in medical science which helps us all.

Would you rather a rat or a human die?
  • Options
    Originally posted by MrG
    just sick
    http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3742569

intimidation, violence, harassment
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/902751.stm

Hmmm, lots of hype and very little fact ........

:p
  • Options
    'You and Yours' on Radio Four has done an excellent collection of peices on animal rights protestors actually.

Heres one of their latest ones;

www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/ram/youandyours_20041118_2.ram
  • Options
    Hmmm, lots of hype and very little fact ........

:p

what you mean very little act, that womans body *WAS* graverobbed, and those acts of violence did and still continue to happen
  • Options
    MrG, I think its best you know now before you bother wasting anymore effort.

Freethepeeps never has anything interesting or informative to say.
  • Options

oh my god you just shattered my world, you bastard :P
  • Options

My dream in life is to be as scintillating, amusing and intelligent as crackjesus or whatever the fuck he's called........

:)
  • Options

I have to say I agree with this completely.
    I dont believe in how extreme the protesters acts are, and I dont think it does the cause any good at all, but there should be much more research into non animal alternatives. A lot of it is just absolutely barbaric.
  • Options
    Before you start a medical research experiment in this country you have to prove that you could not get the research any other way.

Yes, it is unpleasant, but its far from 'for fun', its serious work and does lead to massive advances in medical science which helps us all.

Well the majority of experiments being carried out on animals just now have been done time and time again. There is no need for anyone else to replicate the findings of others. The problem here is that there are so many different 'foundations' fighting for the recognition for this or for that 'wonder' drug that they can all say...Hey...this is R&D and you better believe it pal.

It's total bullshit and we all know it is!
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    I have to say I agree with this completely.
    I dont believe in how extreme the protesters acts are, and I dont think it does the cause any good at all, but there should be much more research into non animal alternatives. A lot of it is just absolutely barbaric.
    You make it seem like these researchers mistreat animals for the fun of it. Whether we like it or not, if we want new and improved medicines animal testing is required. The Thalidomide disaster was the impetus for stricter controls on the pharmaceutical industry.

The protesters do themselves no favours by proving that they have no respect for [human] life. Legitimate protest isn't limited to writing to one's MP but it certainly cannot include physical attacks and generally violent acts.

A debate on the alternatives might be a constructive way forward, but it's easier to shout abuse at people isn't it.

Oh, and the suffragettes are incomparable. :rolleyes: for that.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kentish

The protesters do themselves no favours by proving that they have no respect for [human] life. Legitimate protest isn't limited to writing to one's MP but it certainly cannot include physical attacks and generally violent acts.

A debate on the alternatives might be a constructive way forward, but it's easier to shout abuse at people isn't it.

Oh, and the suffragettes are incomparable. :rolleyes: for that.

Firstly, exactly how many human lives have the animal rights protestors taken?

Secondly, you're erm, not exactly an expert of the suffragettes, are you?

• Options
    Dont be so quick to rest in the presumption that controls that arose in the 60's and 70's are still in force today Kentish. Go take a closer look at the systematic dismantling of regulatory controls especially on the pharma industry over the past 10 years (and more rapidly in the past 4) and youll find a very different and largely unrestrained and unaccountable corporate beast than you seem to buy into.
  • Options
    i take it that some of you care more about the rats than the people who's jobs will go then.
    valuable research and investment good bye ...for a few animals?
  • Options

I vote rat. Especially seeing as repetition throws up new and interesting data each time as testing equipment becomes more and more sensitive.
  • Options
    Firstly, exactly how many human lives have the animal rights protestors taken?
    You don't have to take a life to disrespect one.
    Secondly, you're erm, not exactly an expert of the suffragettes, are you?

Nor have I claimed to be. The point was that they made sacrifices of themselves, whereas "animal rights" protesters make sacrifices of others.
  • Options

Nor can you equate an animal life to a human life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Clandestine
    Dont be so quick to rest in the presumption that controls that arose in the 60's and 70's are still in force today Kentish. Go take a closer look at the systematic dismantling of regulatory controls especially on the pharma industry over the past 10 years (and more rapidly in the past 4) and youll find a very different and largely unrestrained and unaccountable corporate beast than you seem to buy into.
    Whatever the more recent changes, it remains that drugs must be tested well enough to avoid repeat of the Thalidomide episode. Animal testing provides useful information about how drugs work, which is important if they are to be used to treat humans.

You imply that animal testing is unregulated and superfluous. Is that what you meant?
  • Options

Nor, as it goes do you have to believe that accepting animal torture is the same as respect for human life.
    Nor have I claimed to be. The point was that they made sacrifices of themselves, whereas "animal rights" protesters make sacrifices of others.

it certainly cannot include physical attacks and generally violent acts.

Property damage and arson are not violent acts then?

• Options
    Stop looking at the micricosm of the issue MR and look at the longrunning ethos surrounding big pharma and other MNC sectors and their flippant presumption that they can use elected leaders against the will of the people, whatever that may be at any given moment, to obtain greater and greater latitude for their smug disregard for people and the wellbeing of society all in the name of neverending profit.

Pharma companies dont give a shit about your health or wellbeing. Your view seems to start from an assumption that even with animal testing they somehow do.

Just go look at how they managed to lobby the Bush admin in the past few years into essentially removing all product liability protections for any drug or vaccine they might wish to eventually release into the market. That despite the fact that flu vaccines themselves have been responsible for many many deaths in the US.

More often than not their "lengthy R&D testing" nowadays means a 3 week trial with all negative data duly shredded or purposely falsified to gain license approval for mass consumption.

You put your faith in the wrong people if you believe they care any more for you than they do for a labrat.