Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

caesarian section on NHS

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Ok, so who decides what's a non-medical reason then? The doctors that don't believe in phobias?

To be really anal, if there isn't a medical consensus (ie doctors don't believe in it) then it's not a medical reason.

Doesn't mean it's not a good reason though.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    That is too anal ;)

I meant the 2 doctors in question, rather than general medical opinion (which agrees that phobias severely limit the way people live their lives).

I am very anal on this forum. If I were not so anal, then where would we be? It'd be nothing but chaos!
  • Options
    I think C sections should be available, but if a woman is dead set on a caesarian when there is no medical reason (psychological or physical) then she should be offered counselling to try and get her over her fear. I think a lot of women choose caesarians for stupid reasons such as to keep their vagina tight :rolleyes: how many people here are going to admit it, but thats a worry for a lot of people - I know it is.
    A caesarian is SUCH a major operation, yet its kind of got an image about how its less stressful on the body than childbirth - I mean - WTF. The vagina and uterus spends all of pregnancy preparing for childbirth - its specially designed for exactly that purpose, yet people think cutting through skin, abdominal muscle, fatty tissue and then your womb, is a preferable option. Well its not. It should only be done if medically essential. Elective caesarian just goes to show the importance in our culture of instant gratification, and forgetting about the after effects. Yes a C section is quicker than childbirth, but pain free isnt an issue, as there are LOADS of painkillers available for childbirth - I gave birth to my son pain free. I was up and about walking around after a nights rest - it would have been quicker if it wasnt for the epidural. C sections need to rest in bed for up to a week and cant even pick up their own baby, and then they cant do anything strenuous for 6 weeks.
    I think Sections are a godsend for some people, ie people with phobias, extremely narrow hips, people whove had previously difficult childbirths etc, extremely premature babies.
    psychological problems should be attempted to be overcome with therapy though before major abdominal surgery is offered.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with shapr teeth
    But how many women want a caesarian 'just for the sake of it' ?

I can’t give you precise numbers but it is growing year-on-year. We refer to them as “elective” c-sections because of the element of choice involved.

~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a tough question and one which we ask ourselves regularly in the NHS. Not just about c-sections but about many different treatments. The question is, should the NHS be providing treatment when there is no medical need?

Rule of thumb says no.

The NHS exists to provide healthcare free at the point of delivery to everyone. If someone chooses a treatment where there is no apparent medical need for doing so then they are making a choice. Part of that choice should be a financial consideration. The NHS doesn’t exist to give people a full range of choices with multiple different forms of treatment provided, that is what the private sector does.

If you want treatment even though there is no medical need for it, then you should pay for it.
  • Options
    you probably wouldnt be a wreck though groovybaby. Its not just people who cope fine with earache that give birth.
    Im absolutely terrible when im ill. Im the worlds worst patient, but giving birth is different. being in labour is a productive pain. You know its for a reason, and that makes it different. The early stages of labour are just like period pains and then for the later stages, you get super-strength pain relief. Childbirth doesnt really deserve its scary reputation these days. For a huge amount of people it is straightforward and a wonderful experience.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    you probably wouldnt be a wreck though groovybaby. Its not just people who cope fine with earache that give birth.
    Im absolutely terrible when im ill. Im the worlds worst patient, but giving birth is different. being in labour is a productive pain. You know its for a reason, and that makes it different. The early stages of labour are just like period pains and then for the later stages, you get super-strength pain relief. Childbirth doesnt really deserve its scary reputation these days. For a huge amount of people it is straightforward and a wonderful experience.

Even if you don't get an epidural, you're body releases all kinds of lovely hormones to make you feel better. Best feeling ever apparently.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Groovaybaby
    Period Pain!! Never had experience of that. See I would be a wreck! Top it off the thought of it all does put me off wanting children when I'm older. I'd end up fostering or adopting to save the pain.
    yes apparently adopting is less painful.
  • Options
    You get over it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    and then for the later stages, you get super-strength pain relief.

Not all women can, sometimes they progress too fast and its too late to have anything. I was told it was pointless having anything as it wouldnt work in time, for about 20/30 mins I was in agony, not knowing when this pain would go away and I had gas and air only.

Having said that id still opt for a normal delivery, the pain and discomfort Id have after a section i 'think' would be worse than a natural labour.
  • Options
    I've had an emergency caesarian section and I can say it was the most traumatic experience of my life. I wonder if the first time mothers who ask for an elective c-section know what they are really asking for, if they are dead set on a c-section I think they need a lot of counselling and also be made aware of the risks before it is agreed. If they have a genuine fear of childbirth then fair enough.

A C-section is a major operation and there can be complications such as haemmoraging (I haemorraged and nearly corked it), risk of infection and the pain after is something else. While you are in hospital (anything up to a week) you have drains and drips hanging out of you left and centre, you are doped up on morphine and afterwards tylex. You can't so much as lift a kettle for 6 weeks, let alone drive and on top of this you have a newborn baby needing your attention. It sounds great being able to avoid all the pain by being under epidural for the birth process, but with a c-section the pain comes after!