Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

caesarian section on NHS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,11381,1288433,00.html

they cost like 3 times as much as normal birth and if the woman can give a healthy natural birth, then theres more risk with it, yet if 2 doctors think itd be safer for woman to give birth naturally, she can still opt for a caesarian

bloody stupid, NHS might as well pay for cosmetic surgery cause the patients want it no matter how stupidly pointless it is

Comments

• Options
    Well, it is all about pro-choice for the woman involved, and how far her decisions stand. Sometimes it's inevitable that what she wants will not be what she gets, but if there is the possibility that she could get it, then what's the problem? Childbirth is traumatic enough for the woman without having her do something she does not want to do.
  • Options
    thats the thing, im pro-choice - but surely if she wants caesarian, but not cause she needs one, she should have to pay for it, as its more risky, thus more chance of suing afterwards, and it isnt done for meidcal purposes, but for her own comfort
  • Options
    To me that seems cowardly.

OK, I'm male and wouldn't give birth but if there is NO NEED for a caesarian then maybe they should pay for it.
  • Options
    if i was female and willing to have a child, id be prepared to accept fact id have to deleiver baby normal way

if theres no need for caesarian they should for it
  • Options
    Some people are forced to have a caesarian when they want to have a natural birth. Don't forget that. I think it's often overlooked, and sometimes by the mothers in question by this thread, that a c-section is really invasive serious surgery. It shouldn't be abused. And on the NHS cost shouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    why am i not surprised it's the men who hold this opinion?

giving birth is probably the most strenous thing a woman's body will ever have to do. i think a lot of people underestimate how tough it is on the body.

i was born 'quickly'. my mum was only in labour for a day. so, compare and contrast - 24 hours of agony, trying to push something the size of a watermelon through a hole the size of your thumbnail, with bits splitting here there and everywhere, or a couple of hours of being operated on, being totally numb from the waist down.

do you blame them? i sure as hell don't.
  • Options
    Life is harsh sometimes. That's not males' fault.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i actually agree with the men here.

the likes of cherie blair giving birth on a date to "suit her diary" made me so angry. they should not be allowed to have children if something as major as giving birth has to be scheduled around "dinner with so and so" or whatever.

unless i had complications or there were risks involved i would want to give birth naturally. i would rather suffer the pain of giving birth for 24 hours or whatever than undergo major surgery.

opted caesarian sections (unless there is a valid reason for opting for one) annoy me greatly. and to have the NHS pay for them is completely wrong imo.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    Life is harsh sometimes. That's not males' fault.

so next time you have an operation, you'd be quite happy to have no anaesthetic, 18th century stylee?

cause let's face it, if we go by your standards, why the hell should the taxpayers pay for your pain relief?
  • Options
    How is a birth related to an operation?

Casearians are only needed if there are complications.
  • Options
    Originally posted by littlemissy
    unless i had complications or there were risks involved i would want to give birth naturally. i would rather suffer the pain of giving birth for 24 hours or whatever than undergo major surgery.

but aren't you glad you have the choice?

for the record, my choice would be to have a natural birth too, but it would reassure me immensely to know that i could choose. i don't think convenience elective caesarians are as common as some people would have you think. in my experience the vast majority of people who have a c-section have a bloody good reason for doing so.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    but aren't you glad you have the choice?

im glad that if there were complications then there is a choice but i personally think that unless there are these complications there shouldnt be the choice. i dont think that they should opt for the "easy way out" because it is there.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I know somebody who has an incredible fear of childbirth - they've had recurring dreams about dying in childbirth. It's a phobia. Yet there is no reason why she would ever have anything but a normal healthy pregnancy, or require a caesarian. She loves children. Why the hell should she not have the choice to be able to have kids? Because she sure as hell isn't going to have any unless she doesn't have to go through labour...

Well to be honest I think an extreme phobia would class as a legitimate reason.
  • Options
  • Options
    A woman should be allowed to choose the way she wants to deliver her baby.
    When you have had a baby previously and it was a long labour , you were in pain for long periods, had a bad delivery then you should be allowed to have a section.
    Yes you forget the pain after childbirth but by god at the time it is agony, you dont know how long the pain is going to last, it can be very scarey (for me my legs were literally clanking together). So if someone has had a really bad natural delivery previously then she should be allowed the 'choice'.
  • Options
    why am i not surprised it's the men who hold this opinion?

giving birth is probably the most strenous thing a woman's body will ever have to do. i think a lot of people underestimate how tough it is on the body.

i take it you've never been kicked in the balls before :p
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I shouldn't say much here, but I'll just say that I hate the idea of things that can be done naturally not being done naturally.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    I shouldn't say much here, but I'll just say that I hate the idea of things that can be done naturally not being done naturally.

I shouldnt say much here, but I guess your male and never seen a woman give birth under extreme circumstance. IE long, painful delivery :rolleyes:

I hope you are male or else ive just made another total ares out of mysef.
  • Options
    all the guys on here aint saying that if a woman has complications and needs a caesarian, she cant have one, in fact if a woman needs one, she should be given one

the problem is if a woman wants a caesarian just for the sake of it, and a natural birth would probably hav eless chance of failure, she should be made to pay for it cause its just like cosmetic surgery, and the NHS treats on basis of need, and if there is no real need but a desire, then should pay

and just cause im not female doesnt give you a reason to make my reasons void
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    she should be made to pay for it cause its just like cosmetic surgery,

You what ? Do you know what your talking about ?

I dont think any woman would like to be scarred for the fun of it.......do you ? Do you really think women would go through a serious operation for the hell of it ? They go through a serious op for many reasons.........Scarred stiff, fearful of a lengthy labour etc etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    I shouldnt say much here, but I guess your male and never seen a woman give birth under extreme circumstance. IE long, painful delivery :rolleyes:

most people don't even get how hard a normal birth is. my brother was at his son's birth (only about 20 hours, no complications) and he said he had no idea it would be even slightly that traumatic. people see these things on TV - 20 minutes of pushing and then a screaming baby - and think that's the way it is.
    the problem is if a woman wants a caesarian just for the sake of it, and a natural birth would probably hav eless chance of failure, she should be made to pay for it cause its just like cosmetic surgery, and the NHS treats on basis of need, and if there is no real need but a desire, then should pay

does that go for other operations too? i need to have my wisdom teeth out. i don't need a general anaesthetic for this, but there is no way in the world they would get me anywhere near that chair without one. the dentist himself said 'you really, REALLY don't want to be awake for that'. should i be made to pay the extra cost of the hospital bed for the day/use of surgeons/nurses/anaesthetists/etc?

(as it happens, i'm going to pay for it anyway, as the NHS, treating on basis of need, has decided i don't NEED to have it done for the next 3 years, much to the horror of my GP. but i digress)
  • Options
    people see these things on TV - 20 minutes of pushing and then a screaming baby - and think that's the way it is.

Exactly, they dont really see the lengthy process some deliveries are. Even when you have a quick labour like myself it can still be very traumatic, its the not knowing how long you are going to be in pain which has to be the worst thing.......even the nurse cant tell you how long its going to take.

What about an epidural if she wants one ..........should she pay for that if she wants it ? because its not just a nurse who gives that and it can be very dangerous if she moves.
  • Options
    Natural labour is extremly dangerous. My own sister nearly died with her first child, but was too far gone for a c-section.

C-sections are invasive, but doing things 'the natural way' are not to be dismissed as the easy way.
  • Options
    time to deal indicidually
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Nobody's saying that your opinions are void. But how many women want a caesarian 'just for the sake of it' ? I certainly wouldn't. If I wanted a caesarian, there would be a good reason for it, like the fear I mentioned above. Doctors do not always know best, especially when it comes to things like judging anxiety and fear. Phobias are easily brushed off by people as 'sillyness' when in fact, they rule your life.

well if the phobia is that serious then it should be diagnosable, if the woman is healthy, there are more risks with caesarian than with normal labour
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    well if the phobia is that serious then it should be diagnosable, if the woman is healthy, there are more risks with caesarian than with normal labour

Ordinarily yes, but a phobia can create high blood presure and unusual stresses during the course of labour that can be avoided during a c-section. But you feel so shitty afterwards, with the drugs wearing off it just doesn't seem worth choosing it to me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    Natural labour is extremly dangerous. My own sister nearly died with her first child, but was too far gone for a c-section.

C-sections are invasive, but doing things 'the natural way' are not to be dismissed as the easy way.

SINCE WHEN DID I SAY IT WAS THE EASY WAY!? IM NOT THAT THICK

well theres risks in any treatment, but for all normal purposes its fact a caesarian is more risky than normal labour, and theres more chance of complications from it, if there is signifigant risk of complication from normal birth ie family history then c-section should be an option

but to use an indiviudal example is jus biasing the debate
  • Options