Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

caesarian section on NHS

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    SINCE WHEN DID I SAY IT WAS THE EASY WAY!? IM NOT THAT THICK

I'm sorry if it came across as if I was talking to you specifically, this is not the case. But reacting like that isn't going to get you any sympathy with me either.

I was in fact address the thread in a more general sense, specifically the males who have been coming on and saying that everything should be natural labour because it's easy.
  • Options
    well if the phobia is that serious then it should be diagnosable

doctors are ridiculously insensitive about phobias. the 'no one likes it' line comes out a whole lot.

i used to have a phobia so bad that i was putting myself at very serious risk to avoid the thing i most feared, and they just told me that no one liked it, and i should pull myself together. only one doctor has ever taken it seriously, in 15 years.

i imagine, if a woman told a doctor she had a phobia of childbirth, i imagine she'd be told something along the lines of 'well, it's not many people's choice of favourite activities, but it has to be done'.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    You what ? Do you know what your talking about ?

I dont think any woman would like to be scarred for the fun of it.......do you ? Do you really think women would go through a serious operation for the hell of it ? They go through a serious op for many reasons.........Scarred stiff, fearful of a lengthy labour etc etc.

can i repeat, i know, im not a thick idiot!!!!! but im on about choosing a caesarian as a convenience compared to what normal labour is seen as, ie THATS MY COMPARISON TO COSMETIC SURGERY

i could make a stupid claim like "oh i cant live my life cause my penis isnt big enough" that doesnt give me reason to get go get an operation on NHS
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    I think this is the thing that people (that would be people that haven't had kids) forget. Childbirth used to have an incredibly high mortality rate, for both mother and baby. How many women do you hear of dying in labour now? It's easy to dismiss it as low trauma/low risk when it's really not.

Indeed it is not. She did much better with her second. Which is also often the case. The more children you have given birth to (not via c-section) the easier it is. I am the last of four and took no time at all. Which is the problem I have with the example of Cherie Blair, she's had 5 kids, surely the last one the normal way would have been easier than the trauma of an operation.
  • Options
  • Options
    can i repeat, i know, im not a thick idiot!!!!! but im on about choosing a caesarian as a convenience compared to what normal labour is seen as, ie THATS MY COMPARISON TO COSMETIC SURGERY

i could make a stupid claim like "oh i cant live my life cause my penis isnt big enough" that doesnt give me reason to get go get an operation on NHS

Stop using capitals and multiple exclaimation marks, it's an adolescent way to argue.
  • Options
    Ok, how many women choose it as a 'convenience' then?

To be fair, stacks of famous types choose them so it will fit in with their busy schedules, Posh spice, Mrs Blair, Madonna (maybe?).
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fiend_85
    I'm sorry if it came across as if I was talking to you specifically, this is not the case. But reacting like that isn't going to get you any sympathy with me either.

I was in fact address the thread in a more general sense, specifically the males who have been coming on and saying that everything should be natural labour because it's easy.

not one guy has said its easy, but in terms of actual real dangerous stress on the body, its less than a C-Section

and yes im sure 1 in 5 women who choose to have a C-Section (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/872386.stm) and not for medical reasons all have a phobia that severe itd put her at risk in childbirth :rolleyes:
  • Options

all right, calm down :rolleyes:

sheesh, were debating not arguing !!!!!

you say something that I disagree with....I let you know that I dont agree with you, thats how it works :D
  • Options
    Stop using capitals and multiple exclaimation marks, it's an adolescent way to argue.

saying "youre a man you dont understand" as an attempt to discredit my argument is also a fantastic way of arguing :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    all right, calm down :rolleyes:

sheesh, were debating not arguing !!!!!

you say something that I disagree with....I let you know that I dont agree with you, thats how it works :D

cause you're twisting my argument, at least luke isnt that bad
  • Options
    saying "youre a man you dont understand" as an attempt to discredit my argument is also a fantastic way of arguing :rolleyes:

I did no such thing. Don't attempt to discredit me in that way again.
  • Options
    opps apoligies it werent you, but other female member sof this board are using it
  • Options
    cause you're twisting my argument, at least luke isnt that bad

What am i twisting ?

and please dont start bringing users into this who are not directly involved.
  • Options
    and yes im sure 1 in 5 women who choose to have a C-Section (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/872386.stm) and not for medical reasons all have a phobia that severe itd put her at risk in childbirth :rolleyes:

have you actually read the article that you quoted in the first post?

it doesnt say anything about elective c-sections on the grounds of convenience. it's about how a lot of women are so traumatised, either by difficult first deliveries, or just the idea of delivery, that they are opting for caesarians. that's a very different thing. i think post-traumatic stress disorder counts as a very valid reason to have an 'unecessary' operation.
  • Options
    not one guy has said its easy, but in terms of actual real dangerous stress on the body, its less than a C-Section

Here is where a guy has suggested that natural labour is easier than a c-section.

Originally posted by kaptin pikarrrd
    How is a birth related to an operation?
  • Options
  • Options
    opps apoligies it werent you, but other female member sof this board are using it

and what about comments i made earlier ? like do they get scarred for the fun of it ? do they go through a serious operation for the fun of it ?
    Women dont just think 'hey' im gonna take the easy option by having a section. In all honesty a section is much worse after because you cant just get hold of your baby, you are in a lot of pain, you have to take things much easier after having a section.
  • Options
    Women who undergo Caesareans also take longer to recover than those who give birth naturally. They may be more prone to bleeding, and even to infertility.

Research has also shown that babies born by Caesarean section tend to be at an increased risk for breathing difficulties than their vaginally born counterparts.

C-sections are not less damaging. Read your own sources in future.
  • Options
    Oh, and nobody has said that you don't understand because of your gender. Where on earth did you get that from?

i believe i said something along the lines of that it's very easy to claim you would do something no problem when it's impossible you'll ever have to.

like if i were to say 'getting kicked in the nuts doesn't hurt'.
  • Options
    and from my source http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/872386.stm

"Women who undergo Caesareans also take longer to recover than those who give birth naturally. They may be more prone to bleeding, and even to infertility."

"Some women also believe, that it is better to avoid a possibly prolonged labour, and the ongoing discomfort of damage caused by the birthing process by having a planned operation instead."

"Every operation costs the NHS up to £1,000 more than a traditional delivery and the annual cost is estimated to be in the region of £80m"
    "In 1980, just 9% of births involved a Caesarian and the World Health Organisation recommends that the procedure is used in 10% to 15% of all births."

"The rate of Caesarian sections is far too high. In some regions it is running twice the World Health Organisation's recommended level for developed countries.
    "He added: "We are not against Caesarian sections per se. Obviously there are cases where the operation is clinically necessary. However, that does not appear to be the case for many women."

and from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/742156.stm

"Women who have Caesareans are 80% more likely to be readmitted to a ward, while mums who have assisted vaginal delivery are 30% more likely to suffer problems requiring hospital treatment"
  • Options
    I think i also mentioned gender :lol:
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i believe i said something along the lines of that it's very easy to claim you would do something no problem when it's impossible you'll ever have to.

like if i were to say 'getting kicked in the nuts doesn't hurt'.

Clearly it does, but recovering doesn't take that long does it? Though i suppose it depends on how hard someone kicks you.
  • Options
    Clearly it does, but recovering doesn't take that long does it? Though i suppose it depends on how hard someone kicks you.

aye, but the point is it's very easy for me to say that, cause i'm never gonna get kicked in the nuts.
  • Options
    C-sections are not less damaging. Read your own sources in future.

i didnt say that, i said theres more risk actually
  • Options
    i didnt say that, i said theres more risk actually

So then tell me why women opt for a section because they will be told all the facts from the hospital. With all the possible complications that can happen during a section you really think women just opt for a section for the hell of it ?
    I personally think there must be underlying problems that make them opt for a section.
  • Options
    Wheresmyplacebo: what is your point? You're posting conflicting quotes and evidence it seems. What is it you're trying to say, because you're starting to look like a real wally.
  • Options
    you'd be suprised at what people can do knowing the risks for sake of being able to plan a date

all im saying is, the people who have them done for non-medical reasons should have to pay for them