Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tony Martin Fans?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    TM claims he received little effective support from Norfolk police prior to shooting . The manslaughter charge may well have reflected how the balance of his mind was disturbed through fear.

Illegal possesion of firearms is probably commoner in rural areas then in urban
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    if your leaving fine ...but i'm still coming after you. ...and yes thats when the law and the people stop suporting me ....which is fair enough but ...enter my house and my mind will be in overdrive ...my adrenaline will be nearly overdosing me ...you could die.

And that would be a good defence to be taken into account during sentencing especially- but the force used has to be in proportion to the threat posed.

Say the boy had started running toward Martin, not away- even if the boy had been unarmed, Martin could have used self-defence as a reason and he would have been acquitted. You would also be perfectly entitled to chase after the intruder, and capture him with enough force to ensure he remained captured- citizen's arrests are legal, so long as that you are CERTAIN he was intruding (in a quirk of law, if you perform a citizen's arrest but the person turns out to be innocent, he can sue for false imprisonment).

Martin was convicted of manslaughter and not murder because of his defence of not being of completely sound mind- the fact that he claimed fear meant that that was sufficient to fail the mens rea for murder, but not constructive manslaughter. I think that was a bit dubious, to say the least, though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    But then the media portrays satanism, paganism and witchcraft in such a light as they promote hatred or violence and turn people in to killers or animal abusers.

Huh?

Because the media mocks people who worship Satan it means that they go off and set fire to cats? How does that work, exactly?
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    Illegal possesion of firearms is probably commoner in rural areas then in urban

And that's okay is it?

Why do I get the distinct impression that it is okay to break the law, provided that you are a darling of the right-wing?

Tony Martin broke the law before the burglary, and if revenct press stories are to be believed he has broken the law since. The man is a criminal, so let's not hold him up as some kind of demi-god.