Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tony Martin Fans?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am a "Tony Martin Supporter" and I'm thinking about buying his book.
Do you think he was right to shoot and kill that 16 year old kid?
I think so.
I read in the Daily Mail a special report about ESACTLY what happend and it was very interesting.
So do you think he was right to be thrown in jail or was he only protecting himself?
His case just shows how much we need a law to allow home owners to use "reasonable force" to protect them selvs if you ask me.

Comments

• Options
    Of course this brings up arguments of "reasonable force", but if I found an intruder in my house I would have no problem with taking the law into my own hands. So, yes I would support Tony Martin.
  • Options
    He shot the kid in the back as he was running away.....hardly "self defence" The guy killed someone he is no hero
  • Options
    The kid was not running away, he was in the house and they didint know Tony was there until the gun was fired as there were no lights and it was night time.
  • Options
    The countless times ive had to watch this story have said the kid was not a threat to Martin. You cant get more cowardly than shooting someone in the back.

Ha ive read Martin has said he is going to stand as an MP:rolleyes:
  • Options
    He can't becuase he has a criminal record.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Makaveli UK
    He can't becuase he has a criminal record.

how long was he in prison for? If he was in for less than a year he can stand
  • Options
    He was in jail for 2 or 3 years i think.

Anyway what he did i think was wrong, he shouldn't have shot him, maybe attack him, kick the fuck out of him but shoot him while he's running away...hmm no.

He's a murderer.
  • Options
    Re: Tony Martin Fans?

He shot that kid in the back when he was running away. He'd also previously been done for firearms offences.

If you think thats right, you need professional help. Maybe for them "voices" in your head. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The kid was not running away, he was in the house and they didint know Tony was there until the gun was fired as there were no lights and it was night time.

No, he shot him in the back.

Please get your facts right.
  • Options
    Martin should count his lucky stars that he had his conviction reduced to manslaughter- I, and many others in the legal profession, think he should have been tried for murder, because he intended to cause serious harm to anyone in his house.

Yes, householders are entitled to use reasonable force, but shooting an unarmed boy who was RUNNING AWAY does not constitute reasonable force in anyone's book. If the boy had been armed and drawing on a weapon then yeah, maybe Martin would have had a point, but those weren't the facts. Martin kept a loaded weapon under his pillow with the sole intention of committing serious harm to an intruder- that fulfils both the mens rea and actus reus for murder.

And murder he should have been jailed for. He's not a "people's hero" to anyone except the HateMail and Richard Littledick- he is murdering filth who got away with it.

Oh, and makaveli, if you don't think that householders are entitled to use reasonable force then I suggest reading a law textbook or two. Reasonable force is a defence against the charges of assault, battery or murder, among others, but reasonable force actually ahs to be used. Sadly, idiots seem tot hink that shooting intruders is perfectly reasonable, and idiots seem to think that battering an intruder within an inch of his life is reasonable force. It isn't- it never has been, and never will be.
  • Options
    If he'd shot him in the chest or the legs then I'd have no problem with it. Shooting someone in the back isn't reasonable force. Not warning someone of the conscequences of not leaving isn't reasonable force either.
  • Options
    Have you heard he's been re-arrested, for stealing licence plates from cars. Interesting.

Personally I think he's a child murderer, simple as that, and deserves all the scorn that normally implies.
  • Options
    Re: Tony Martin Fans?
    Do you think he was right to shoot and kill that 16 year old kid?
    I think so.

feed_troll.jpg
  • Options
    When his supporters admit that his is a criminal for holding a shotgun illegally - regardless of what he did with it - I might take them seriously.

What is interesting is that most of his supporters are from the reactionary right-wing of UK politics. People who claim law and order is important and that criminal should be punished. Yet I haven't heard of anyone comdemning him for this illegal act...
  • Options
    He was right to defend his property/person but killing a petty thief is still killing a human being so the manslaughter sentance was justified.

If he had shot to stop the boy then I would've supported him fully but he went too far. Shotguns tend to remove whole swaves of the anatomy, not slow down an escaping criminal. I think he was a man on the edge and he was going to do what he was going to do. What he did though was half justified/ half criminal.

Use reasonable force by all means.

But a whole new question is how would the law define reasonable force?
  • Options
    Well thats exactly what we do have, what was reasonable at the time is decided in court. There is no way you can prescribe each situation and say, you should do this if that happens.
  • Options
    If people bothered to research things properly, "reasonable force" is already adequately defined both in the criminal and civil law. It essentially boils down to what an objective "reasonable person" would do in a situation, and although this sounds vague the case law defines the scope of it well.
  • Options
    I'm very anti-guns but I wouldn't have locked Tony Martin up for life simply because no one should have broken into his house in the first place. Manslaughter is fair I think.
  • Options
    Did he get charged for the gun offence as well? I assume so, but I dont know.
  • Options
    theres no justification for taking a life but there was a lot of circumstances in this case (i dont know all the facts so please dont flame!)

tony martin was obviously terrified by these teenagers, i think he had been burgled before by them, hes not a young guy either and wouldnt have stood much a chance against two fit young boys if he wanted to fight them, he obviously did what he did due to the fear the burglaries had instilled in him. he was defending his property and i think everyone has that right to some extent, but he should never have killed the lad.
  • Options
    In practical terms reasonable force can be described thus:
    The use of force which is equal to or less than that of your attacker.
    If someone comes at you with a knife then it's a free for all, however this is the crux:
    IF you resume your attack once you have finished defending yourself you're fucked in the eyes of the law.
    If someone tries to stab you and you knock them out you can't start kicking them when they are on the floor.
    Likewise shooting someone facing away from you isn't self defence
  • Options
    Seems perfectly clear to me.

Tony Martin's case seems also perfectly clear: Confronted the burglars, burglars ran away, Martin took aim carefully and shot the lad in the back with a shotgun as if he were a rabid dog.

A clearer case of murder you won't find. Self-defense (as some claim) my hairy arse.
  • Options
    ^Your facts are seriously wrong.
    Both kids (I say kids, one was about 25 and a career criminal) were shot in the back and leg when they were shot (in the dark) the guy shot in the leg jumped out the window and ran for his life. The 16 age boy climbed out the window and fell to the ground and crawld over to shelter where he fel unconscious and died...After about half an hour. Not, as people say he was dead in miniuts.
    Tony Martin asumed they both got away and didint bother phoning the police for some time, if the guy who escaped had called the police to tell them his "friend" had been shot an ambulince could have saved his life. But no he got in the car and left him for dead.
    And to Aladdin:
    Know wonder no one take you serioulsy when you post terrribly un funny and inofensive childish pictures like that.
    We are all debating Tony Martins case.
    And then theres you.
  • Options
    Whats your source for that info?
  • Options
    The Daily Mail and quotes from Tony Martins book.
  • Options
    The Daily Mail? What date?

And I hardly think that Tony Martin's book counts as a reliable source.
  • Options
    It doesn't matter wether or not he could have been saved, we're not debating Fearon's actions, however lamentable.
    We're talking about wether a man with a shotgun of all weapons is justified in shooting someone in the back.

The majority, including the police believe it isn't. It wasn't as dark as you think, it was light enough for him to get a well aimed shot in, twice.
  • Options
    Wrong.
    Most people agree Tony Martin was in the right. Acording to all the polls I've seen by various papers. Even radio 4's vote in had over 50% voting for a new "Tony Martin Law".
    Here are some more views I found...:
    http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,15410-1098329,00.html
  • Options
    "We're talking about wether a man with a shotgun of all weapons is justified in shooting someone in the back."

Lucky T Martin did have a shotgun, or he could have ended up like this guy.
    http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-12990363,00.html
  • Options
    You know Makiveli, as trolls go you're not doing terribly great.

Get this straight: the jury found out that Martin shot the kid in back as he as fleeing. No mitigating circumstances. No excuse. Cold-blooded murder. Deal with it my dear.

It is extremely amusing that you present this as evidence:
    The Daily Mail and quotes from Tony Martins book.
    Do you expect anyone to take you seriously?

And let's examine these 'polls' shall we? We all know the significance of the Radio 4 poll- which has been universally acknowledged as hijacked. 26,000 measly votes, most of them from the 'Free the Murdering cunt' campain that only produced the result it did because human beings were celebrating Christmas and couldn't be arsed to vote.

And what else can you present? Well, some opinions from Rupert Murdoch's Sky News website. That organ well known for accurately reading the nation's pulse. :D

Must do better I'm afraid. :lol: