Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

who are ya named after?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by byny
    I was named after this song - it's an anti-slavery song
    we used to sing that in choir.
  • Options
    My Mum got my first name (Elisa) off an actress in an old film, I'd love it to be some glamourous film but apparently it was The Little Matchstick Girl. Hmmm. Lots of people say my name wrong :mad:

And my great grandma chose my middle name (Kate) because she hated my first name and she thought I should have a traditional name at least for my middle one :p
  • Options
    Ok my first name was chosen after my mam and dad saw it on some random grave. :/ Thank you dead Aoife who died in the early 80;s. :|

Marie - is my mam's mam

Caroline - is my mam.

Aoife Marie Caroline - all very boring.
  • Options
    Dad wanted me to be called "Melkorka" who supposedly was a slave.. :eek:

But my name, Matthildur, is mainly because mom wanted me to be called something-hildur, and my dad wanted my name to be M, because his first name starts with an M making my initials MM (he is MSM). I'm quite happy about my name being out of the blue, to be honest. :)
    And it means "powerful battle". :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by eefs
    Ok my first name was chosen after my mam and dad saw it on some random grave. :/ Thank you dead Aoife who died in the early 80;s. :|

:lol: It's not a traditional place to find a name for a new-born girl- a place full of dead people.

sorry
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Heh, I just asked my dad and he says Sewah and Adjei are, but he isn't sure about the other two. Are your family Northern ( Ghanaian)?

I have nooooooooooooooooooo idea, but my grandparents are older than your dad so they may have chosen names that have now died out? blah I dont know!

ps-my dad told me his 'rents are from Accra (apparently)
  • Options
    Originally posted by hybrid
    ps-my dad told me his 'rents are from Accra (apparently)

:o Central Region. They would speak the same language as my parents ( Fanti).

Maybe the names have died out, but my Dad disagrees. Anyway, we aren't going to agree.

I'm right!
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    :o Central Region. They would speak the same language as my parents ( Fanti).

Maybe the names have died out, but my Dad disagrees. Anyway, we aren't going to agree.

I'm right!

:mad: Ah I am sooooooooooooooooooooooo right, my grandparents were/are more knowledgeable than you!

:p
  • Options
    im named after my great grandma, well my middle name anyway, she was mary elizabeth and im maria elizabeth, so its quite similar.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    The Feast of Stephen is December 26th. St. Stephen received the honor of having his feast day immediately after Christ's Feast Day (Christmas) because St. Stephen was the first Christian Martyr.

ahhh, thankyou.
  • Options
    I dont no who im named after, my name is Darren btw!

My kid is called Pearce Joshua, I picked Pearce, cos its after Stuart Pearce, the football player! and his mum called him Joshua after her bro, but most ppl call him PJ, wich i hate:mad:
  • Options
    a friend of mine has a really wierd name...:

lewin (normal christian name i suppose) redvers (after his grandad) appleton-fox (both his parent's last names) ap kernow (son of cornwall - was apparently concieved there.)
  • Options
    Mines just a boring normal Hebrew name.. I dont know if they chose it because of my Jewish background or just because they liked it...I do have a hyphonatied bit but ive decided to delete it out of my name after an embarassing Big Bro contestant stole my name!

My sister is named after Emmeline Pankhurst
  • Options
    Sam Stacy.

Why da fuck do I have a girls name as my middle name? Well... My aunt was there at my birth, she was called Tracy, and on the other hand, my mum had my older sister going on at her to call the baby Stacy, no matter if it was a boy or girl, since she absolutley loved the name, my mum decided to stick with it.

Sam is short of Samuel, and if you look into that, thats some hebrew bible rubbish.

I aint botherd about the name, considering, it's original, so fuck it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    embarassing Big Bro contestant stole my name!

...can't think...

maybe it'll come to me later :chin:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Instie
    I aint botherd about the name, considering, it's original, so fuck it.

sam stacy's a cool name
  • Options
    Kathryn Helen; means 'pure light'

Its not after anyone inparticular. I got that because my mum thought id get abused all through school if they went with my dad's choice, which was Skye. Still, I think it's got a nice ring to it... Kathryn Helen
  • Options
    erm, Adam was beggining to become a popular name at the time I was born, so my parents decided to be sheep and follow the trend. Now I've grown up knowing a loooooot of other people also called Adam. I was born on St.Georges day, so my uncle said my middle name should be George, so that's my name.
  • Options
    Originally posted by badabing
    Helen

Heh, my mum's and gran's name :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil
    ...can't think...

maybe it'll come to me later :chin:

Jade... i used to love that name, but both THE jade and jade in teen big bro were twats... now am ashamed to share part of a name with them :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    Jade... i used to love that name, but both THE jade and jade in teen big bro were twats... now am ashamed to share part of a name with them :p

ahhhh, tis a nice name. As long as you don't live upto it's reputation :p
  • Options
    my adoptive parents named me after hayley mills the actress in the firsst version of the parent trap. oh dear. dunno about my middle names as ive never met the biological parents to ask.

id like to give my kids quite normal first names, then a really unusual couple of middle names, just so that they have a good choice of what to be called.

like:- james kai hunter
    julia kali hope

that would be fun
  • Options
    if i have a boy or boys (i'm planing on have 2 kids but it's unlikely because my familly have been an only child familly for 3 generations but my mum thinks i'm gonna have a boy and a girl which is want i want but not right now:) )

i was named Luisa because, my mum wanted to call me something that wouldn't be out of place in spain, and because it means "warrior maiden" and i have had a fighting spirit since i was born and it goes with our celtic heritage. the rest of them have been given to me for lots of reasons and as there are 10 of them i don't want to tell you about them all. But i don't know why i was called Rhiannon because she had a baby, and the baby went missing when she was sleeping and the nurses were ment to be looking after it, so they smeared dogs blood all over her, and said that she had eaten it, so she was condemed to living her life in a small tower in north wales and had to look after every traveler that went by and to tell them of what hse had done.

i wouls like to call my kids if a girl one of my middle names (not rhiannon) possibly morganna, as i have a good friend called morgan (a guy), ummm if a boy then i would call him Brae, because it's nice or kai, or dimitri, or Kurt, or Luis or something like that.

Luby
  • Options
    My first name was chosen because it couldn't be shortened... by the time I was 2 days old, I was being called Katy by the whole family, including my parents :rolleyes:

My first middle name is anne, and was partly chosen after my mums (then) best friend and partly because it's very plain (I have a complicated and annoying surname).
    My second middle name is Lesley and that was after my dad's cousin who died three days before I was born... she was only 18 :(

Keep changing my mind about kids names... really not sure, although I think if I had twin girls, I would like to call them Eleanor and Lucy :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by NFFC_DAZZLER
    I dont no who im named after, my name is Darren btw!

My kid is called Pearce Joshua, I picked Pearce, cos its after Stuart Pearce, the football player! and his mum called him Joshua after her bro, but most ppl call him PJ, wich i hate:mad:

I dont like Pearce as a 1st name i godda say!

My name is Louise, named after my God parent. i love the name Kai for a boy!