Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

who are ya named after?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by Faith
    There's a place called Merley round the corner from me, used to be home of Merley Bird Gardens :p

/random

lol really? I just know its a ghanian name! how strange...

I did want to name my sons Ruben or Noah and my daughters Ella or Mackensie but now I'm never having kids I'll just have to give my future pets those names :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    Charlotte Rose= Both my grans names :)

ooh Char that's well pretty :)

I think I was called what I'm called cos my parents liked it...it was gonna be the other way round (Elizabeth Jane) but apparently my big bro couldnt say Elizabeth so they swapped them round. It bugs me being called Jane cos people always call me Jade! grr:mad:
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: who are ya named after?
    Originally posted by paperBprincess

me mam always wanted to call her first son thomas, after marrying me dad her dreams were shattered, well, she couldnt really call a kid thomas cooke now could she?
    :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by SupaStar
    ooh Char that's well pretty :)

thank you :blush:
  • Options
    My dad had it in his head that he was gona call any daughter of his Lian, so he did, and my middle name is Stacy, god knows where that come from! :yeees:

and when i have another daughter im going to call her Freya-Louise, and a baby boy Luke :)
  • Options
    Richard - my parents couldn't decide... after I was born my mum called me something else for a while :confused: cant remember what. Anyhoo!

Austen - Born in an Austin car. Heh. I was quick :p (dont ask me why's its spelt with an E and not an I) - I think it's nice how it's so.. different from everyone else's name though :)
  • Options
    Well my first name, Abbey, my mother gave it to me as naming me after my one aunt, my dads sister.

My middle name, Jean, kind of a name thing that have been given through the girls in the girls, in the family, whether it be a first name or a middle name, but stopping once I have children.
  • Options
    Michelle- god knows
    Nicole - after my dad nicholas, he's nicholas royal, so all the girls get a nicole somewhere and all the boys have royal as asecond name.
    I was going to be nicole michelle but i think my mum thought michelle nicole sounded better
  • Options
    well i 'm not named after anyone, my dumb arse parents thought colleen was 'pretty', it's irish apparently.
    and my middle name is the same as my mums, and her mums.....
  • Options
    Originally posted by O_o
    who here has planned the names of their kids, when they have them??

Me, I have. I think that mine are quite nice names, but maybe that's just me.

Just to let you all know:

Two girls' names, just in case: Rosemary Marie
    Eithne Marie

Two Boys' names, just in case: Aidan Michael
    Jacob Michael
  • Options
    Originally posted by hybrid
    lol really? I just know its a ghanian name! how strange...

I really don't think Merley is a Ghanaian name. :p

So you are Ghanaian/of Ghanaian ascentry too? :)

I think I am going to embarass my first child with a really horendous (sp) name. Like Sub. Sub Acquah. *smirk*
  • Options
    My aunties bullied my mum into calling me Rachel, but she got to choose the middle name of Lucy which would have been her first choice if it weren't for her evil sisters :yeees:

I named my littl'un Lily because I like the flowers and thought it was quite a rare name at the time...but now everyone is naming their kids Lily. Her middle name is Rose, which I don't really like but agreed just to shut the fella up because he didn't like the name Lily.

She really suits it though :D I chose good.

And if I ever have a boy I want to call him Nicholas...after the kid in Little Nicky :lol:
  • Options
    I think my parents chose my name because it couldn`t be shortened. It`s also instantly forgettable and a bit nondescript so people are always struggling to remember it. Probably just as well for me as a kid as I had a horrendous strange surname.

My brother`s middle name was already decided as George owing to the fact that that was both my grandads' name. Good job they rethought the idea of calling him Lloyd then.
  • Options
    Originally posted by candy
    I named my littl'un Lily because I like the flowers and thought it was quite a rare name at the time...but now everyone is naming their kids Lily. Her middle name is Rose, which I don't really like but agreed just to shut the fella up because he didn't like the name Lily.

one of my second-year pieces of work was a script about a cannibal called lily.

but i chose it cause i thought it was a pretty name, and a good contrast with the subject matter :)

and in my family there's a long tradition of naming your kid after your grandparents, or their grandparents.

so my kids were going to be eleanor mary (after grandmother and mother) and william something. (don't like my dad's name).

but my brother pinched william for his son, so now i have to rethink. my other grandad was kazimierz, which is far too cruel. i want my kids to have traditional names, cause both me and mr. kaff have very english surnames, so anything outlandish would just sound stupid.

i was chatting to my mum about it yesterday, and she was coming up with some right suggestions :eek2: and apparently my insane cousin who says she is pregnant, but who we don't believe, wants to call the baby obadiah. :yeees:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    one of my second-year pieces of work was a script about a cannibal called lily.

but i chose it cause i thought it was a pretty name, and a good contrast with the subject matter :)

Heh, that's quite clever.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    It is a pretty name ... but then ya gotta think of Colleen in Home and Away...

:yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    I really don't think Merley is a Ghanaian name. :p

So you are Ghanaian/of Ghanaian ascentry too? :)

I think I am going to embarass my first child with a really horendous (sp) name. Like Sub. Sub Acquah. *smirk*

it is ghanaian! my dad's rents are from ghana/togo so yes I have ghanaian ancestry! we all got given ghanaian middle names (merley, adjei, latrey and sewah) dunno about the spellings though!
  • Options
    I was named after this song - it's an anti-slavery song

On a wagon bound for market
    There's a calf with a mournful eye.
    High above him there's a swallow
    Winging swiftly through the sky.

How the winds are laughing
    They laugh with all their might
    Laugh and laugh the whole day through
    And half the summer's night.

Dona dona dona dona
    Dona dona dona down
    Dona dona dona dona
    Dona dona dona down

"Stop complaining," said the farmer,
    "Who told you a calf to be"
    Why don't you have wings to fly away
    Like the swallow so proud and free?"

CHORUS

Calves are easily bound and slaughtered
    Never knowing the reason why.
    But whoever treasures freedom,
    Like the swallow must learn to fly
  • Options
    My names Daniel, wheres that from and what does it mean? :confused:

i mite look it up l8r
  • Options
    byny-i take it your names donna then?! :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Char_Baby
    byny-i take it your names donna then?! :confused:
    yup
  • Options
    After Elvis' daughter. :|
  • Options
    Originally posted by stressedstar
    ...thought lee is a bit boyish so my name is aimee-lea.

my mum is a bit odd......:crazyeyes

:( :rolleyes: :(

My sister was named after my mum...
    My Brother was named Stephen cause he was born near Christmas...

And I got named after a page 3 model - Samantha- (Fox)

My middle name had no meaning they just thought it was nice
    --- Lee ---
  • Options
    Originally posted by hybrid
    it is ghanaian! my dad's rents are from ghana/togo so yes I have ghanaian ancestry! we all got given ghanaian middle names (merley, adjei, latrey and sewah) dunno about the spellings though!

Heh, I just asked my dad and he says Sewah and Adjei are, but he isn't sure about the other two. Are your family Northern ( Ghanaian)?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Cruel2BKind
    My Brother was named Stephen cause he was born near Christmas...

excuse my ignorance, but what has stephen got to do with christmas?
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil

Good King Wenceslas looks out
    On the feast of Stephen

Maybe he was having a huge picnic in the garden :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by lucifer devil

The Feast of Stephen is December 26th. St. Stephen received the honor of having his feast day immediately after Christ's Feast Day (Christmas) because St. Stephen was the first Christian Martyr.
  • Options
    I wasn't specifically named after her, but my parents copied the spelling of my name (Lynsey) from Lynsey De Paul - apparently, she's a singer who was on telly shortly before I was born. My mum liked the name Lynsey but didn't want to spell it with a D in it (eg Lindsey, as it's more commonly spelt). And my second name is Helen, but that was just because they liked it, I think... My dad nearly registered it the wrong way round (in all the hype and excitement of becoming a dad, he claims!) so I nearly ended up as Helen Lynsey..

I've always thought it would be nice if I had a brother and he named his first daughter Catlyn after my sister (Catherine) and me (Lynsey), but since I haven't got a brother that ain't gonna happen!

On the subject of names for my children, I'm currently liking Clay and Taj as boys names (not got a clue about girls names!), tho obviously it depends on their surnames.. Sounds good with some and horrendous with others!
  • Options
    My brother is David, because my mum always said she'd have a son called David - my grandparents only had daughters, so there was no-one to carry on the family name, and David was similar to their surname. His middle name is after both our grandads, who had the same name as each other. So he is completely named after people.

On the other hand, I was named because it was the only name my parents agreed on. Mum liked Helen, dad liked Letisha/Letishia/however you spell it. So they somehow ended up with Laura. Followed by Jayne because 'it just sounded right'. Spelt with a 'y' in the middle 'to make it different'. Except most other parents at the time had the same idea. So I have a nice common name, and I'm not named after anyone. Boo. :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by BritJames
    It is a pretty name ... but then ya gotta think of Colleen in Home and Away...

now do you see why i despise that show!!!:mad: :crying:

it's so not fair! I mean grr....she's not even irish? Why the hell did they call her colleen? hmm....now when ever i meet someone and tell em my name, which i rarely do i normally give my nickname, they automatically think of that stupid old woman off Home and Away.

fucken shitest show ever, (that and neighbours, oooh and passions) *sigh*