Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

To all the hypochondriacs among you...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you think you are suffering from, even tho it was never diagnosed, or you never bothered to let it get checked? Chronic Indigestion? any kind of suspected allergies? problems with the joints? weak bones, do you think you have cancer? hormonal disorders?

If it was an officially acknowledged syndrome/disorder, I'd think I have the Peter Pan Syndrome, a syndrome where you just don't feel ready to start a career and always think to make up for something missed in your childhood.

the second thing is my weight. Maybe I have troubles to incorporate certain stuff of food (like fibres, carbonhydrids, protein, whatever... I'm not really familiar with all those terms in english), because I can't gain any weight. It always fluctuates inbetween 2 kilograms (~4lbs.), but there is no logical pattern if I am eating extraordinary much for my own means, or am sick and hardly eat anything for a few days. My father was stick thin too in that age tho and is rather robust (even tho a bit light, I reckon) now.

What are yours?

Comments

• Options
    Sometimes I get a really agonising stomach twist. Can't really explain it. It's horribleeeeeeeeeeeee. No idea what that is about. I also suspect that I can't have kids. No idea why or even a reason. It's just a really intense feeling I have.
  • Options
    When I had bad headaches a few years ago I thought I had a number of things but looking back I believe the worry was what was making me more ill. Basically the more I worried the more ill I became so it was a total cycle hehe.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    There are some things that I think I might have. Including your Peter Pan syndrome. X_X
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    I also suspect that I can't have kids. No idea why or even a reason. It's just a really intense feeling I have.

There is one single certain way to find out ;)
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    There is one single certain way to find out ;)

hahahaha
  • Options
    I also suspect that I can't have kids.

That's my single biggest fear....I always just assume I'm really fertile, so it'd be sod's law if I couldn't.....:(
  • Options
    any kind of suspected allergies?

TBH, they're not that hard to work out. And I'm sure the third time I got a milk intolerance (I've had it four times now) mum said it was very possible, but just try some milk and see what happens. Next thing I know, I've got stomach cramps and can't walk...
  • Options
    I'm suffering from bit of ball ache at the minute. Now thats painful ladies...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    TBH, they're not that hard to work out. And I'm sure the third time I got a milk intolerance (I've had it four times now) mum said it was very possible, but just try some milk and see what happens. Next thing I know, I've got stomach cramps and can't walk...

there are very mild forms of allergies too. Like having a runny nose, because of some plant isn't always a dead giveaway.
  • Options
    I thought I either had diabetes or an underactive thyroid, but blood tests have shown that I'm just lacking in exercise lol.
  • Options
    I also suspect that I can't have kids. No idea why or even a reason. It's just a really intense feeling I have.

I always used to feel that way, I think it's just saturation of news stories about fertility and IVF and people having an all-round terrible time ttc.

You'll probably end up finding out that you have the opposite problem. I seem to be super-fertility woman ;)
  • Options
    When I get broody and all excited about having kids in the future I usually then have a niggle at the back of my mind that goes "but what if I can never have kids" which does scare me. I think we just take fertility for granted.
  • Options
    there are very mild forms of allergies too. Like having a runny nose, because of some plant isn't always a dead giveaway.

Of course. I remember 5 years ago, it took me about 3 weeks to realise that I had a severe allergic reaction to soap.
  • Options
    I think worrying about fertility is probably pretty common.

I was convinced I'd be infertile when I was a kid (you know playing dollies and things, and I always used to say I wasn't going to have my own kids when I grew up)... and then when I was 14 I was told I'd need IVF to consieve... but since then they've changed their mind and think I could concieve naturally... I don't really know what to believe now. :(

I think I have a long-term problem with my sinuses... My ears have been strange for months and months... Occasionally when I blow my nose my ears squeek really loudly (it can be heard from outside too, cos my mum heard it). :crazyeyes
    My ears block up quite often... and I often get the sneezes and stuff too. :yeees:
    I am thinking about going to the doctors about the ear thing though... I've been having to take sudafed quite often these days.
  • Options
    Infertility scares me too (I'm a guy, for those who don't know). Especially because I'm a geeky person with computers and the lot, which means I sit much of the time. Though once in a while, I subconsciously stand up and walk around for a bit, so maybe I can escape that... It will be long before I'll find out, I guess.
  • Options
    God, I have everything. I am a class A hypochondriac. THe only thing that seperates me from them is I don't actually go to the doctor, I just whine and say I have things.

Last week I had carpal tunnel. :p

Today my toe hurts.

I also had a hangnail that I ripped off cuz I didn't have nail clippers and now its a big owie red mess.
  • Options
    I regularly wonder if a lot of depressed people really are depressed (not having a witch hunt or anythng), maybe a few percentage lack the chemical dopamine. But I think a fair percentage just psychologically think they're depressed and put themselves in a rut. It's a state of mind usually, you think positive thoughts then you have positive feelings, you think negative thoughts then you have negative feelings. Just saying, don't underestimate the power of the mind. That's all folks! :thumb:
  • Options
    I'm not a hypochondriac and I hardly ever get ill (once a year at most).
  • Options
    I'm not so much the hypochondriac as my mum is for me.... ever since I was quite ill a while back she's had me tested for everything, and is still largely convinced I'm either anemic (sp?) or diabetic - my doctors surgery do keep losing my blood test results so you never know, she could be right! (Even though I very much doubt it)
  • Options
    I thought I had appendicitis last night. But I went back to sleep and the pain is gone today, so all is good.
  • Options
    Nikki* wrote: »
    my doctors surgery do keep losing my blood test results
    :eek2: Exaggeration, right? If it happened more than once I'd think about going somewhere else for it, if it was a 3rd time I'd complain as much as possible and wouldn't rest until they did their job well AND faced consequences.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I regularly wonder if a lot of depressed people really are depressed (not having a witch hunt or anythng), maybe a few percentage lack the chemical dopamine. But I think a fair percentage just psychologically think they're depressed and put themselves in a rut. It's a state of mind usually, you think positive thoughts then you have positive feelings, you think negative thoughts then you have negative feelings. Just saying, don't underestimate the power of the mind. That's all folks! :thumb:

That's what I think too. Last year in spring shit really hit the fan and I mean in all forms and colours. I had no motivation whatsoever leaving the house, constant stress with my parents, (thought they would be against me), problems with uni, troubles with girls etc etc etc. Was to the doctor with that, got pills and a recommendation to a councellor.

I never took a single pill and never went councelling once and after a few months I was already much better. I've been a paramedic, I can aid you if you broke a bone, or stop a bleeding, but I am fidgety in believing in the remedy for the mind from outside. I think you and only you can surpass depression.

With that said, I of course do not know if it was depression, since I am rather emotional for a guy at times.
    Nikki* wrote: »
    I'm not so much the hypochondriac as my mum is for me.... ever since I was quite ill a while back she's had me tested for everything, and is still largely convinced I'm either anemic (sp?) or diabetic - my doctors surgery do keep losing my blood test results so you never know, she could be right! (Even though I very much doubt it)

probably AIDS and he is afraid to tell you lol. Sorry for the black humour.
    There are very clear symptoms for anemia tho, or diabetes mellitus (if you are short [hypo-] or in surplus [hyper-glycaemic] of blood sugar). If you have a sharp suspicion of having one of those illnesses, I'd get tested - to a reliable doctor...
  • Options
    I thought I had appendicitis last night. But I went back to sleep and the pain is gone today, so all is good.
    I've thought that a few times.
  • Options

Interesting. Actually, this is why when I asked if I did suffer from depression, I just said that I didn't know - simply because there could be a number of reasons why I self harm and it's possible that depression is one of them; OTOH, it's possible it's not...
  • Options

Sorry, I don't see what that has to do with this thread. :confused:

Yes, the mind is a powerful thing and if you think positive thoughts it can generally lift a low mood... however the difference between just having a down day and depression is that the person isn't able to lift themself out of depression.
    That is why it's such a horrible thing to suffer from and needs a lot of compassion and understanding from other people. I think there are still too many people who just want people with mental health issues to 'pull themselves together'... if the person doesn't have the inner strength or resources to do this than it can feel wholey impossible.
    Being stuck in a rut is precisely that, often... stuck; I'm sure not many people chose to stay feeling depressed, and if they felt they could improve their mental health by the power of positive thought I'm sure there would be a lot more recovered depressives around (if that's the right word?)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't see what that has to do with this thread. :confused:

I think it's quite relevent actually.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    I think it's quite relevent actually.

:yes:
  • Options
    Fair enough.
  • Options

Yeah I think the same thing. I've been very stressed and down about things recently and its easier to dwell on it and think things are shit and to cry and listen to miserable music. I think it takes more strength to nip things in the bud and think positively and not let things get you down and to focus on good things rather than bad. I think the problem is when people don't nip things in the bud and they just continue to feel low and think negatively which is when they get stuck in that rut.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    I always used to feel that way, I think it's just saturation of news stories about fertility and IVF and people having an all-round terrible time ttc.

You'll probably end up finding out that you have the opposite problem. I seem to be super-fertility woman ;)

Haha. Ages ago I spoke to my mum about it and apparently she felt exactly the same at my age! So fingers crossed for the future