Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Young mums

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
Are you, or have you been a young mum?

Is there any advice you wish you'd had when you were pregnant (in terms of the foods you should eat, exercise and so on?), or were there problems you faced that you weren't expecting?

What would you say were the advantages and disadvantages of being a young mum?

A new article to go live soon...I'll keep you posted :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had Abbie when I was 23, am I an old Mum?! :p

Either way, young or old there's a lot of things I wish I'd be told beforehand!
  • Options
    Either way, young or old there's a lot of things I wish I'd be told beforehand!

Anything in particular?
  • Options
    She's very cute btw!
  • Options
    Pearly wrote: »
    Anything in particular?
    A few nasty things like the bleeding afterwards and the first time you go to the loo after giving birth feeling like you're giving birth to another one!

Since it's lunchtime and people are eating I better leave it at that :p
    Pearly wrote: »
    She's very cute btw!
    Thank you :)
  • Options
    After what age do you stop classing someone as a 'young mum'?
  • Options
    Glittery wrote: »
    A few nasty things like the bleeding afterwards and the first time you go to the loo after giving birth feeling like you're giving birth to another one!

what! :nervous:
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    what! :nervous:
    You read my birth story Lorna, remember :p
  • Options
    ... the first time you go to the loo after giving birth feeling like you're giving birth to another one!

Oh wow. Good to know! :lol: :nervous:
  • Options
    Yes the bleeding for a month is a bit of a shocker, and that first post-childbrth poo is a bit nerve wracking :lol:
  • Options
    Yes but briggi after your first, you really WILL be giving birth to another one!
  • Options
    Man I'm glad to be a bloke! :D
    I still get to be a dad someday (maybe!) but without having to give birth and all the stuff that goes with it :p
  • Options
    Yes the bleeding for a month is a bit of a shocker, and that first post-childbrth poo is a bit nerve wracking :lol:

I can hardly wait :razz:

KHSS this is very true... I wonder what exactly I'll feel like I'm going to give birth to after two babies have already made an appearance. I shudder to think :lol:

As for what I want to know about childbirth and parenthood... well, everything really. But there seems to be nothing you can't find out about in graphic/painstaking detail on the internet (god bless google!) and by asking other mothers. I guess the good and interesting thing about it all [especially in terms of journalism :p] is that everyone's experience is so different that you can never learn the definitive answer to anything.
  • Options
    Yes the bleeding for a month is a bit of a shocker
    It was the smell that got me, the smell of lochia is like nothing on this earth :sour:
  • Options
    After what many of my friends (30+) have gone through during pregnancy (down tests etc etc) I am pretty sure I want to adopt, tbh... ... and that's if I do actually have kids. I am sooooooooooooooooooo not feeling that right now.
  • Options
    You read my birth story Lorna, remember :p

you never said anything about going to the toilet after!

And whats this about a smell, argh dear lord. I'll have to keep my legs shut for the next 17 years!
  • Options
    my mum came to the loo with me for my first wee and poured a jug of water over my vag to take away the sting, kinda works, or pee in the bath, that kinda works too. I don't remember bleeding for a month or any funny smells tbh.
  • Options
    Oh and I thought the placenta was as bad as it gets. Childbirth just keeps sounding worse and worse, I should stop reading threads that I know don't affect me.
  • Options

Since it's lunchtime and people are eating I better leave it at that :p

Thank you :)

God when i went to the loo afterwards, thought i was gonna bleed to death, had to stay in there for a while before i could move, luckily the shower was within reach, i stayed in the shower for about an hour. Felt so mingin'. You do get a lovely big nappy type thing, which makes you feel extra mingin'.

I had a C-Section, didn't stop bleeding for about 2 months.

On a brighter note, Breakfast/lunch/tea in bed everyday is great!! :D

Also, I wish I used Bio-oil from the start of pregnancy! :(
  • Options
    God when i went to the loo afterwards, thought i was gonna bleed to death, had to stay in there for a while before i could move, luckily the shower was within reach, i stayed in the shower for about an hour. Felt so mingin'. You do get a lovely big nappy type thing, which makes you feel extra mingin'.

I had a C-Section, didn't stop bleeding for about 2 months.

On a brighter note, Breakfast/lunch/tea in bed everyday is great!! :D

Also, I wish I used Bio-oil from the start of pregnancy! :(
    whats bio-oil?

Oh and i heard you can prevent vaginal tearing by stretching your vagina out with some type of oil about a week before giving birth
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    you never said anything about going to the toilet after!
    I must've spared you that bit since you were almost in tears reading about the pain :p
    katralla wrote: »
    my mum came to the loo with me for my first wee and poured a jug of water over my vag to take away the sting, kinda works, or pee in the bath, that kinda works too.
    It wasnt a pee I was talking about :p But yeah, I had to pee in the bath cos I had a tear that "didnt need stiching", yeah right.
  • Options
    Or if you stay in hospital, make full use of the bidets to pee in :yes:

As for massaging the perineal area with oil, that is supposed to help prevent tearing if you do it daily in the last month or so of pregnancy.
    I did it, and didnt tear.

Another glorious thing is that something like 70% of women poo when theyre giving birth :lol:
    Most people get freaked out by that one, although midwives apparently just clear it up without mentioning it, and most people never know.
    I dont know if I did or not, and I never asked!!
  • Options
    but is any oil ok?
  • Options
    Another glorious thing is that something like 70% of women poo when theyre giving birth :lol:
    Most people get freaked out by that one, although midwives apparently just clear it up without mentioning it, and most people never know.
    I was terrified of doing that, I refused to push at one point cos I thought I was going to poo! I didnt though, thank god.
  • Options

Jesus Christ I shouldn't be in this thread! I so so so want kids but reading about birth is just :crazyeyes :shocking:

I suppose ya gotta do it though eh :nervous:
  • Options
    hey this is really interesting. going to be trying for a baby soon and its good to hear the truth. god you know there are going to be some yeuch things that go along with birth but people never tell you. doesnt put me off a bit.
    only thing that scares me is the thought of having a section. i probably will need one as i am diabetic and have been warned of this but the thought of it makes me feel sick and it scares me.
  • Options
    There are some things you just can't prepare a mum to be for, like the sleepless nights.
    I thought i was used to it as i didn't sleep well before but omg its so different.
    The fact that you bleed alot after, the fact that if you have a section you aren't meant to drive for 6 weeks.
    That when you have had the baby, for at least a day (when this day is depends if it was a natural birth or section ) you fall apart crying at nothing ect.
    How your boobs are really sore even if you don't breastfeed.
    That will do lol.
    I was 23 when i got pregnant.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    whats bio-oil?

Oh and i heard you can prevent vaginal tearing by stretching your vagina out with some type of oil about a week before giving birth

Bio oil, Helps prevent stetch marks, and makes them less visible, It's a god send, I only used it at the end of pregnancy, as I didn't have any stretch marks til the last month :impissed:

Costs around 8 pound for a small bottle. But, It's well worth it!
  • Options
    I don't know if i count as a 'young mum'. I'm 22 and i just found out i am pregnant. I don't really have anyone i can ask about this and i think there is tons i want to know, especially regarding diet. I have a very poor diet and i've tried to up my calories and eat the right things, but i feel so ill all the time, i think i'm probably eating less than i did normally (i know this isn't good, i'm trying my best to change this).

I also got a gym membership before i found out i was pregnant and now i'm not sure what exercises i can and can't do.

I'd be happy with any advice tbh, it looks like i'll be doing this mostly alone, and so any first hand experience/advice is always welcome! (I'm glad i found out about this going to the loo afterwards thing :nervous: )
  • Options
    I would ask a member of staff at the gym about exercises. I'm sure there are certain things you can still do especially weights/gym ball which supports your weight.
  • Options
    I don't know if i count as a 'young mum'. I'm 22 and i just found out i am pregnant. I don't really have anyone i can ask about this and i think there is tons i want to know, especially regarding diet. I have a very poor diet and i've tried to up my calories and eat the right things, but i feel so ill all the time, i think i'm probably eating less than i did normally (i know this isn't good, i'm trying my best to change this).

I also got a gym membership before i found out i was pregnant and now i'm not sure what exercises i can and can't do.

I'd be happy with any advice tbh, it looks like i'll be doing this mostly alone, and so any first hand experience/advice is always welcome! (I'm glad i found out about this going to the loo afterwards thing )

Well hopefully our new article will look to answer some of your questions, so thanks so much for the feedback. I think after reading this thread this morning we may also need an article on the things you may not expect during and after childbirth, as well as this one which is more focused on pregnancy...!

I was at the birth of my sister's baby (she was 19 at the time) and actually it was better experience than I thought it would be - well when she finally gave in and had the epidural. She did lose all dignity though and can't believe how relaxed she was at having everything on show to me, my other sis and my mum!