Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

PANCAKE DAY (and lent)

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know how you can mess it up using normal mix. I've just made some usingggggg flour, eggs, milk, salt and um, I used sugar and lemon for toppings.

They were fucking yummy :yum:
    You've never seen me cooking :p.
  • Options
    I don't know how you can mess it up using normal mix. I've just made some usingggggg flour, eggs, milk, salt and um, I used sugar and lemon for toppings.

They were fucking yummy :yum:
    I only put salt in with yorkshires... but I guess I used salted butter, do you, or are you seriously adding extra?
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    You've never seen me cooking :p.

Haha. How you gonna cope when you go uni in September?

It really is simple though!!! (I've just learnt)
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I only put salt in with yorkshires... but I guess I used salted butter, do you, or are you seriously adding extra?

I only put a pinch of salt in. A tiny tiny bit.

I didn't use butter.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm talking rubbish about butter, that's normally my explaination for people adding salt where I don't though, which may explain it.

But yeah, for yorkshires I'll add salt and maybe pepper, but for pancakes I'll leave it out because it's a desert thing...
  • Options
    Well, I followed a recipe so yanno.
  • Options
    Haha. How you gonna cope when you go uni in September?

It really is simple though!!! (I've just learnt)
    I can make mash potato, and I can (just about) cook chicken.

I have NO idea >.<.
  • Options
    I'm still waiting for mine whilst my housemates come back. Golden Syrup...chocolate...bananas...jam...lemon...sugar YUM :yum:

Disclaimer: my early comment relating to instant mix was directly aimed at my housemate who i'm trying to teach to cook. I don't have a problem with instant mix and those who use it :)
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I can make mash potato, and I can (just about) cook chicken.

I have NO idea >.<.

More than I could in the first year :p

My flatmates had never heard of SMASH until they met me :lol:

I'm a really good cook now though if I do say so myself. Haha.
  • Options
    More than I could in the first year :p

My flatmates had never heard of SMASH until they met me :lol:

I'm a really good cook now though if I do say so myself. Haha.
    Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww Smash :yuck:.

They use that at college, and it is VILE.
  • Options
    Dang I cant cook mash either..infact boiling potatoes is a general no go with me. Franki my housemate put dried pasta in a pan and attempted to cook without water in freshers week and another ate pasta and sauce for 2 months coz she was too embarassed to tell she couldnt cook owt else. Now she cooks loads. :D
  • Options
    Haha. I know. It took me a while to realise that.

I lived off supernoodles, smash and oven cooked food (such as chips, chicken, etc)for quite a while in the first year until I learned how to cook. That was a experience.

We had so many people using one cooker though. It was just easier to eat that shit.

Theres a girl in my lecture who asked me the other day how to make a baked potato :eek: This shocked me.
  • Options
    Prick some holes in it and stick it in the oven til it's soft, right :o?

This is the general impression I got from my mother getting me to make one...
  • Options
    Yes.

Orrr, you can just stick it in the microwave for 10 minutes after pricking it OR if you want it crispy on the outside, shove it in a hot oven for about 2 hours.

Its hardly rocket science. I was actually really shocked when she asked me. She's clearly still got Mummy cooking for her.
  • Options
    Tbh, my mum still cooks most of the food. Although we have a rota (5 people per house = different person cooking every weekday), nobody really sticks to it. I don't think Lizzy's made dinner at all since that thing was drawn up.

And crispy baked potatos are soooooooooooo the best. I could never just microwave it. Ever. I have done half and half though :yes:.
  • Options
    My Mum would never ever ever let me cook in her kitchen. She doesn't even let my step dad. Its her kitchen and only she is allowed to cook in it. She's a bit strange like that.

I want to bake a cake at her house when I next go home though :(

And I do baked potatoes half and half. Much quicker :yes:
  • Options
    I think my mum would love it if she didn't have to cook in our kitchen at all!
  • Options
    No, they can, I just think they're lazy and a little bit retarded.
    Quite possibly the stupidist thing I have heard in a while.

I bought an instant mix today. It cost me 63p. If I was to buy flour, eggs, and milk, it sure as hell would have cost me more than that, and as a student, I need to save my pennies. I don't think that gives you cause to determine my mental state.

For a novelty, like pancakes, when you only tend to eat them on pancake day and not every day of the year anyway, instant mixes are ideal. I don't want a bag of flour in my cupboard that I won't use or eggs that will go off.
  • Options
    For some odd reason I discovered that someone bought batter mix today :|. I am now wondering two things:

1) Why, as we do have the necessary resources to make pancakes.
    2) Why we then did not get any pancakes :grump:.
  • Options
    Hmm I hate jacket potatoes from the oven! I think they taste much nicer microwaved. And then the skin tastes nicer as it's soft.
  • Options
    I'm giving coffee up for lent :D
  • Options
    i want a pancake :(
  • Options
    Giving up fags and meat.

Should be interesting...

That's fuckin impossible mate! lol
  • Options
    No it's not. The whole tradition of pancake day is that you were using up what you had before lent, the christian tradition of giving up something for 40days and 40nights as a reflection of Jesus in the desert. The end of Lent is Easter the biggest day in the christian calendar.

Pancake day is actually Shrove Tuesday

Shrove Tuesday is a day of celebration as well as penitence, because it's the last day before Lent.
    The name Shrove comes from the old word "shrive" which means to confess. On Shrove Tuesday, in the Middle Ages, people used to confess their sins so that they were forgiven before the season of Lent began.
    Lent is a time of abstinence, of giving things up. So Shrove Tuesday is the last chance to indulge yourself, and to use up the foods that "aren't allowed" in Lent. Pancakes are eaten on this day because they contain fat, butter and eggs which were forbidden during Lent.

And yes, instant mix is for spastics, how hard is it to mix flour eggs and milk?

bloody hell. calm down dear.

and i can see why people would use instant mix - in my cupboard i don't have flour or eggs and it'd be pointless me buying a bag of flour and a box of eggs just for pancakes. i didn't make any but i did steal 3 off my housemates.
  • Options
    For lent I'm giving up all bad food. I'm giving up snacks and I'm going to try to eat healthy to lose a few pounds! Its funny as I'm going on holiday 40 days from now! What a good excuse :D

what's 'bad food'?
  • Options
    hamburgle.......nope thats making me cringe :D
  • Options
    what's 'bad food'?

KFC :lol:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    KFC :lol:

:yes:

I'm supposed to be having one with a mate next week though. :(

Errr Lucifer, bad food is stuff like crisps, sweets, chocolate, cake, takeaways, chips, etc.

Not like I eat much of that stuff normally anyways but obviously it would be much healthier if I didn't eat it at all.