Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Subway

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    Subway is tasteless plastic crap, it just doesn't taste good. A few thin and soggy leaves of lettuce and two slices of tomato do not make a sandwich healthy, especially not with their fake ass meat.

You seemed to have missed the point - you ask for what you want on the sandwich - you don't just have a little bit of lettuce and tomatoe (I'm assuming that wasn't what you wanted when you ordered the sandwich you describe)

My fav is still their Turkey, Ham, Bacon and cheese with pickle, sweetcorn, tomato, olives, red onion, cucumber and lettuce - on some good Italian and Herb bread, toasted with Mozerella.

And as to the job thing - I've had much worse jobs in my life than fast food places - they may not be nice jobs, but they sure beat working on farms, or on building sites, in my experience. Less violence, less sexism, less racism, less fights, better wages, and no 20 hour shifts like the last farm I worked on.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »

My fav is still their Turkey, Ham, Bacon and cheese with pickle, sweetcorn, tomato, olives, red onion, cucumber and lettuce - on some good Italian and Herb bread, toasted with Mozerella.

heck, you sure make me hungry...
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    You seemed to have missed the point - you ask for what you want on the sandwich - you don't just have a little bit of lettuce and tomatoe (I'm assuming that wasn't what you wanted when you ordered the sandwich you describe)

And as to the job thing - I've had much worse jobs in my life than fast food places - they may not be nice jobs, but they sure beat working on farms, or on building sites, in my experience. Less violence, less sexism, less racism, less fights, better wages, and no 20 hour shifts like the last farm I worked on.
    Nope, I just asked for salad and stuff because it had this gammy wafer thin plastic cheese. They didn't put much salad in at all and what was in it was soggy and barely substantial.

As for jobs... My brother of all people can tell you how bad working in a fast food company can be. A bunch of armed people broke in to Maccys demanding the cash from the till, one guy was holding a mechete(spl?) over his head. As soon as the police cleared them all out they were expected to continue working as if nothing had happened. They also switched the dates on food where he worked.

I've worked in fast food, I know a lot of people who have. The staff (most of them) tended to be nicest when they were working under the influence of drugs. I was glad to be cleaning and in the kitchen, one woman kept on starting on me.

Maybe farms are worse, but that doesn't excuse the way big companies treat their employees. Granted, I encountered far more sexism and racism in bar work (to the point of being sexually assulted and having my manager laugh at me and tell people I'm a lesbian). The wages in fast food are minimum, the shifts can be long depending on where you work.

I'll be honest and say that I didn't mind working at Burger King (although my brother was refused a job in another branch, he believed because he's gay), but then I've cleaned piss salt out of men's urinals.

20 hour shifts are illegal aren't they?
  • Options
    They also switched the dates on food where he worked.
    If we did that, we'd be fired. Don't judge the whole company on one person's experience.
    Namaste wrote:
    but that doesn't excuse the way big companies treat their employees.
    And I get treated quite well, actually. Even though we have minimal staff for a McDonald's store, we get most of the holidays we ask for, unless they just can't do it. It's usually a first come-first served basis, and the people who ask for days off last on that day (especially in busy periods, where they have a set amount of people who can take holiday off) are always the only ones disappointed on the rare occasions they can't have it.

I like where I work because of the people I work with and the fact that the managers are all lovely (I got a free McFlurry yesterday because "I know you're poor" :D). I don't get treated badly at all...
  • Options
    Subway is tasteless plastic crap, it just doesn't taste good. A few thin and soggy leaves of lettuce and two slices of tomato do not make a sandwich healthy, especially not with their fake ass meat.

:heart:
  • Options
    I don't have Subway often, but when I have the sandwiches have always been overflowing with the fillings - including a quite substantial portion of salad.

For me, it does it's job. Quick bit of food, when in need. I'm not looking for gourmet when I go there...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Basically, chains like Subway are scum imo and I wouldn't be seen dead in one (although I dislike Subway less than somewhere like Maccy's... That is the pinnacle of scum), these chains treat their employees like shit, they often have poor animal rights and environmental records too...

I worked at Maccies and thought they were an excellent employer. Certainly better than most.
    If anybody thinks that it's Ok to market shit as "healthy" and exploit people who don't know any better in to eating their crap then fair enough, Subway, KFC, McDonalds and Starbucks are wonderful.

That hasn't been the issue in this thread, nobodys saying it's a healthy meal. One every now and again though isn;t going to do you any harm and it's certainly healthier than a fried breakie from your 'local independant cafe'.

Health and taste are not the same thing. Just because something unhealthy doesn't mean it tastes bad.

Do you understand the concept that taste is completely subjective, whether that be food, music, art etc?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Do you understand the concept that taste is completely subjective, whether that be food, music, art etc?

I think this point is lost on several people, mate...
  • Options
    Personally I have only eaten from Subway a couple of times- I didn't find it very good.

But I am a vegetarian, and the options there I thought were shit. It didn't taste too bad though.. I only stopped there the 1st time by fluke.

Now Greggs, that's a different kettle of fish, I love eating from Greggs, their pasties are mint as are the sandwhiches.. Kermit, how do you feel about Greggs as a chain, considering they are in every town/out of town and on every corner.. ?
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    I think this point is lost on several people, mate...

I know.

Taste isn't governed by who made it, where it came from, how much it costs etc
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

:yes:

I like Subway. My mate isn't that much of a fan. She doesn't verbally abuse me for eating 'plastic food'. Just like she likes listening to Rihanna, and I would rather cut my ears off.

If we didn't all have different tastes, the World would be a very boring place.

Anyway it's only Kermit that's talking out of his arse here. As usual!
  • Options
    I know.

Taste isn't governed by who made it, where it came from, how much it costs etc

Exactly.
  • Options
    Personally I have only eaten from Subway a couple of times- I didn't find it very good.

But I am a vegetarian, and the options there I thought were shit. It didn't taste too bad though.. I only stopped there the 1st time by fluke.

Now Greggs, that's a different kettle of fish, I love eating from Greggs, their pasties are mint as are the sandwhiches.. Kermit, how do you feel about Greggs as a chain, considering they are in every town/out of town and on every corner.. ?
    Not really big on Greggs.

It actually sucks a fair bit where I am because it's nothing but chain stores (there are at least 3 Starbucks and 2 Maccy's), so I'm yet to find a nice down to earth normal butty shop.

Greggs is British... The food is just about edible.

But then I'm a food snob.
  • Options
    On another note... there's a load of buttie shops round here, all of which kick the proverbial arse out of any fast-food chain I know. :thumb:
  • Options
    I don't really eat out a lot if I can help it, once you eat proper food at home, not many places come up very good.. if I am eating out its because I'm in a rush and probably out which means I'm more likely to go to the nearest store I know (i.e. Greggs) than some local sandwhich shop up some alley in a town i'm not familiar with.. which is probably the same for a lot of people and Subway.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    The debate for this has moved over to P&D :thumb:
  • Options
    Mmmmmmm. Subway.
  • Options
    Mmmmm I have jst finished a lovely pizza sub. I cnt be arsed to read this whole thread, but ive read some of it............... all I have to say, is subway rules. Who gives two shits if its american or corporate? It tastes nice, thats why its so popular. If u dont like it, good 4 u, dont tell other ppl what 2 like.
    I try 2 eat a healthy subway 4 times a week. I have all the salads so that counts 4 my 5 a day.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    jst

Yes?
  • Options
    Okay, well this is a couple of years old, so before this highly volatile subject kicks off again I think I may let my mouse wander over to the close button...
This discussion has been closed.