Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Subway

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've never been in it/eaten from it so I can't really comment, it looks quite classy (read: expensive) so I guess I always just assumed it was a total rip [probably is, to an extent] and was just selling an image of sorts [probably is, to an extent] or some such bollocks.

So it's really nice then? I do like soup! :yum:

My general preference would be to go to an independent sandwich shop, especially since I have my local favourites where I know it's going to be cheap and tasty. If I was in a different place where I didn't know the local gems or anything like that then I'd be far, far more inclined - rightly or wrongly - to go to somewhere like Pret a Manger than Subway.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Talking of sandwich shops, what do you think of 'Pret a manger' I know that its a chain but I think Pret is so so delicious, the sandwiches, the soup etc. Its not on the same scale as Subway (not even near) but does it bother you that its still a chain? I know that pret make all their food on site using fresh local ingredients.

Been there once was nice but very expensive and My nearest on is in Lakeside so I have'nt been there lately
  • Options
    And by the way I love Greggs. hahahaahhhaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • Options
    I love Greggs, too, hahaha.
  • Options
    I had a Subway once and it was so vile it's put me off for life.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Talking of sandwich shops, what do you think of 'Pret a manger' I know that its a chain but I think Pret is so so delicious, the sandwiches, the soup etc. Its not on the same scale as Subway (not even near) but does it bother you that its still a chain? I know that pret make all their food on site using fresh local ingredients.

I don't thinkwe have one of them down here and we don't have a Gregg's either (is that even a nation wide chain?)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I don't thinkwe have one of them down here and we don't have a Gregg's either (is that even a nation wide chain?)

Greggs is just Bakers Oven rebranded as far as i can tell. They're all part of the same company.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    I've never been in it/eaten from it so I can't really comment, it looks quite classy (read: expensive) so I guess I always just assumed it was a total rip [probably is, to an extent] and was just selling an image of sorts [probably is, to an extent] or some such bollocks.

So it's really nice then? I do like soup! :yum:
    Well they do some fancy fillings, which I think is worth the money. Actually my favourite is just tuna mayo with cucumber and lettuce but its unlike anywhere else. It so damn tasty. My mum loves the soup. Although theres an independent soup bar on a side street called 'Brazenose street' opposite the town hall, which is far better and cheaper. They do loads of soups in these huge pans and they give you free tasters if you even just ask what soup it is. Check it out next time you're in Manc. Its one of those places not everyone knows about.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    Greggs is just Bakers Oven rebranded as far as i can tell. They're all part of the same company.

ahhh, we have a bakers oven here. I thought it was probably much the same thing.
  • Options
    I hate subway, that stuff stinks.
  • Options
    Subway: crap and even when drunk I cant stand them. I prefer the local and definatley fresh sandwhich shop at luchtimes rather then the starbucks opposite the office.
  • Options
    I'd rather eat mcondalds or reheated stuff in the microwave. :p I've never had anything that isn't stale, warm (that isn't supposed to be) burnt or old.
  • Options
  • Options
    I went to a subway once. It confused me.

They are taking over, I beleive theres 3 in Exeter City centre. Within less than half a mile from eachother probably! Thankfully theres plenty of independent places around.
  • Options
    I quite like subway really. Sure its not exactly the best thing to eat but its filling and you can make it up with whatever takes your fancy at the time.
    Plus you can just load it with salad...i mean how wrong can you go with a handful of salad??
  • Options
    Pret is really nice. Overpriced though. And it doesn't put shops in cities like Wolverhampton.

Once I went to the one in Birmingham late in the day and bought a slice of banana cake (they do the best banana cake which is not something you find in many places) and the guy working there said I looked a bit down, and gave me a bag of mini doughnuts for nothing. That really cheered me up as I was having an awful day.

They also donate leftover food to the local soup kitchen. So even if they are owned by McDonalds they're not too bad. They also do not take over city centres like Subway does. There are at least 3 subways in Wolverhampton city centre.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    how many superior independent butty shops there are in the Toon).

I think you'll find that newcastle is a lot better for independant butty shops, local cafes and nice non-chain places to eat than a lot of places. I was never stuck for somewhere to grab a nice sandwich, or a place to eat whether it be in the middle of town or around the city. I've lived in Cardiff for 3 years and I can think of one good butty shop. In the city centre there's nothing (or at least nothing obvious). The cafes I've been to have been very overpriced and I'm on a tight budget. Thefore you haven't much of a choice but to eat at these chains. I appriciate that eating there means there's less chance of small businesses setting up but when you need to eat there's not much you can do! Not all cities have the same choice as Newcastle (although I can only speak from the experience of living in two and visiting others) so I may be wrong, but that's just what I've found

Butty shops in Newcastle...GOOOOOOD
    Butty shops in Cardiff...BAD!
  • Options
    Actually I've just seen on Subways website and there are TEN in Newcastle city and eight more in the surrounding areas. That is rediculous

There's five in the Whole of Cardiff and none in the surrounding areas

Although they are just a business. Like someone said there's just as many Weatherspoons, Tescos etc. If they've got the business then might as well milk it

I've had a subway on a few occasions and I liked it. I always have one when I'm waiting for the train at 6 o clock in the morning after Reading festival (its like a tradition and it probably is healthy compared to what I've put in my body in the previous 5 days!), and I had one when other people went once. I wouldn't choose to go there though. But I'm not that picky, I'll eat at MacDonalds if I'm hungry and there's nothing else around. But yes I would choose to eat in a local, independant place with nicer food. But you can't always
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

Why a city of 190,000 people needs eight different branches of Subway is quite beyond me. But its why every single city in Europe is exactly the same.

19 years of my life I've been in Vienna and I know 1 subways here :p

I just looked on the official website and it says there are 2 subways in Austria (as opposed to USA with 20.707). there are even more subways in Zambia.

There are 162 McDonalds in austria. That seems to be really few...
    23 Burger Kings...

wow... That's rather few...

Oh sorry Kermit, I digressed...
  • Options
    Well I had a six inch meatballs for lunch with BBQ sauce and it filled me up very nicely :yum:
  • Options
    21 subways in Birmingham, that's quite scary.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Sometimes I'll really enjoy a Sub, other times I havn't been that impressed.
    As with most fast food, I'm sure it's fine from time to time though you wouldn't want to eat it too often.

Fast food isn't always bad.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Subway is awesome. Every sub I've ever had from there has been bloody tasty. :thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It's American corporate plastic shite, and people who think that it is tasty and delicious obviously have defective taste buds. It tastes of bland, like all corporate food, lest a flavour upsets a customer.

There will be at least 10 sandwich shops in any decent town which are better than Subway, but all these will close down because people go for the corporate bland shite every time. Like Starbucks, Subway is a cancer on this country's towns and cities.

Wrong.

All those other sandwich shops pack their shitty sandwiches full of salad, tomatoes, mayo etc and I fucking hate that shit. At least Subway give you a fucking choice of what to put on it. If I want a chicken sandwich, I want a chicken sandwich, not a chicken sandwich with half a fucking vegetable farm on it.

Name me a local sandwich shop where I can get a meatball marinara, with just fucking meatballs and sauce on it, for cheaper than Subway, and I might go there. Until then, I won't be a total food snob and say just because somewhere is a chain then it's 'plastic',and I'll continue to eat there because it's fucking lovely :thumb:.
  • Options
    Wrong.

All those other sandwich shops pack their shitty sandwiches full of salad, tomatoes, mayo etc and I fucking hate that shit. At least Subway give you a fucking choice of what to put on it. If I want a chicken sandwich, I want a chicken sandwich, not a chicken sandwich with half a fucking vegetable farm on it.

Name me a local sandwich shop where I can get a meatball marinara, with just fucking meatballs and sauce on it, for cheaper than Subway, and I might go there. Until then, I won't be a total food snob and say just because somewhere is a chain then it's 'plastic',and I'll continue to eat there because it's fucking lovely :thumb:.

obviously pre packaged sandwiches come as sold. But I have been to plenty of sandwich places which are local and independent where they make the food up in front of you and can specify what you want inside them.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    As with most fast food, I'm sure it's fine from time to time though you wouldn't want to eat it too often.

Fast food isn't always bad.

Agreed.

I love a subway meal now and again. It's not cause I think wow, so fresh and healthy and good for me, it's because it tastes nice, I know what I'm getting, and the butty shops round the part of Leeds where I work leave a lot to be desired.

Doesn't mean I also don't appreciate good food when I taste it. Everything in moderation and all that.
  • Options
    Wrong.

True dat.

Italian bread? :hyper:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    But I have been to plenty of sandwich places which are local and independent where they make the food up in front of you and can specify what you want inside them.

How many of them are open through till late at night?
    How many of them are as good value as Subway?

Not many.

I suspect the ingredients in the independant stores generally are fresher and healthier but I don't want fresh and healthy all the time.

Sometimes I just want something that tastes good.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    I quite like subway really. Sure its not exactly the best thing to eat but its filling and you can make it up with whatever takes your fancy at the time.
    Plus you can just load it with salad...i mean how wrong can you go with a handful of salad??

its corporation salad. probably contains 999 calories per gram.
  • Options
    I like the white choc and mac nut cookies, the m&m ones are good too, the sandwhiches are just ok.
This discussion has been closed.