Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is there such a thing as 'culture'?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah I know, but it was the pleasant intro to a longer post - just got the wrong thread for the rest of it :)
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    I'd recommend Watching the English by Kate Fox. It's specific to the English, so isn't a British ethnography, but it's highly amusing and addresses many points.

good book
  • Options
    Is there a such thing as culture? Yes. Too complex to get into the details though.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Is there a such thing as culture? Yes. Too complex to get into the details though.

Dude, that might be the most convincing argument i've ever heard for anything, ever. :p
  • Options
    Dude, that might be the most convincing argument i've ever heard for anything, ever. :p

I'm just hungover and tired. :D
  • Options
    Of course there are national cultural differences, the spanish siesta, the itallian arm/hand gestures, the english willingness to queue for anything, austrailians swearing, the scottish whine and the french retreat.

okay maybe not the last two

These don't become stereotypes for no reason.

however, over time these have become more diluted as we have all assumed some characteristics of other nations, globalisation perhaps. Personally I see this as a good thing...