Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ok wierd question here people....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
but is anyone on here a vet or vetainary nurse? I was wondering if you could explain to me a bit about Canine Epilepsy. I found this site which gives a good basic introduction to the subject.

The dog belongs to my boyfriend and his family (mum, dad and brother) and normally has cluster fits (every 6 to 8 months) he will have two or three over a space of 24-48 hours. Normally only lasting a few minutes, no more then 5.

The thing is about two months ago he had a cluster of fits when I was round his house for the weekend, even though I only saw one of the fits fully I heard them all and found it very upseting. Especially as before then he only a some about a month or so before hand. So they took him to the vet and is dousage was increased to two tablets twice a day (I don't know what they are called) I just give him his reward biscut after he has taken then if I'm there.

Well my boyfriend has enformed me that he had other one this morning, so I asked if they where both ok, as he still gets very upset, well he said that the dog was booking in for more blood tests on tuesday, so unless he has a really nasty one they will just tell the vet then. As they keep a record of the fits.

But everyone is now really worried as the dosage was only increased a couple of months ago.

Anyway back to the point I was just wondering what the does and don't are if I'm ever alone with the dog and he starts fitting.

Sorry for such a long one. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Comments

• Options
    im no vet/vet nurse but i am studying animal behaviour at uni

the do's and donts will be similar for when people have fits, so you could do a search on google

one of the most important things is to make sure the dog cant hurt itself on things nearby
  • Options
    Thanks thats a really good idea, I will do so, sorry if my spelling was a bit wierd in places i find it very upsetting, plus I'm dyslexic, so when I'm typing at the speed my brain it thinking at, it can go a bit wrong at times.

I wish they had a spell checker on here, on well.
  • Options
    Well I just found the epilepsy action and it has a good section under first aid about what to do and what not to do when someone is having a fit.

One thing it did mention,which the dog site did not but I have seen my boyfriends dad do was to support the head, as the dog seems to go semi-consciousnes. This is because the fit causes him to jerk his head about, so you don't want him banging it against the floor. But he does seem to be able to hear you talk to him, but he can not respond until the fitting has stopped.
  • Options
    Well I thought I update you on the dog situtation, my boyfriend told me today, that he (the dog) had another couple of fits on Friday and then he had a couple on Saturday.

It looks like he will have to be put on more medication, as the can't really increase the dose of the tablet that he is currently on. My boyfriend seems worried that he itwon't be good news on Tuesday and that he will not last much longer if the fits can not be controlled, as they are putting too much strain upon the rest of his body.

I just hope the vets can do something, as its bad enough having to say good bye to your pet at the best of times, but to have to make a decision like that at Christmas time, which is all about family (he is truely part of the family) must be really hard. :crying:
  • Options
    poor doggy :(
  • Options
    z01 wrote:
    poor doggy :(

Yes he does seem to be a poor doggy at the moment. He is only 8 years old Irish Setters should leave until about 12.

Fingers cross there is something else they can try and it works.