Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Shopahoplics anonymous

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I keep spending money when I don't have any..I'm in quite a bit of debt and know the only way I will get out of it is to just stop spending unnecessary money for a few months. But I can't do it.

As an example I've just gone out in my lunchhour and bought a set of underwear which cost £21. I have lots of other underwear, I didn't need it.

Just worried that I can't control my spending and I go shopping to make myself feel better. I also justify it by thinking to myself 'I don't smoke so I save money that way.'

I know I need to cut back but just can't seem to do it, can anyone offer any advice or feels the same?

Comments

• Options
    Stop taking your cards with you.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Stop taking your cards with you.

Exactly, and if possible transfer debts to a 0% card for a while to give yourself a breather.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Exactly, and if possible transfer debts to a 0% card for a while to give yourself a breather.

I don't have any credit cards or store accounts. I just use my current account and the overdraft that comes with it. I only have one card (a normal debit one).
  • Options
    grow a backbone and stop spending. You can't cheat yourself with hiding your cards or you money. As long as you want to spend, you'll find ways to spend. It's like kicking a bad habit, breaking an addiction, deal with it.
  • Options
    i would get back the £21 back for a start.;)

good luck.
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote: »
    i would get back the £21 back for a start.;)

good luck.

No way is the underwear going back...tbh that's more of an investment :naughty:

but maybe I could sell some of my other stuff. I have a PS2 I never use, wonder how much I would get for that.

shopahopolic, that's driving me mad!
  • Options
    I used to be like you, now I only use cash. I got my bank to change my Switch card to a cash card so I cant impulse buy.

You could try withdrawing the amount of money you need for the week from the bank and leaving your debit card at home.
  • Options
    If you only have a current account - you can't be in any *serious* amount of debt.

Just suck it up and deal with it - stop going into shops etc.

I'm a very impulsive person, when it comes to shopping, but if it got to the point I knew I was gonna suffer financially after buying something, I'd have the brains to know not to.

Nah - you don't have a real problem, IMO.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Nah - you don't have a real problem, IMO.

I agree. If you don't have any store or credit cards then you're in a great position. Impulse buying when you're young is, in my opinion, fine! Open a savings account and set up a direct debit so at least you're saving a little bit each month.

I am going to start withdrawing cash at the start of each week and leaving my cards at home!
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    I keep spending money when I don't have any..

Well we both live in Brum, so next time you wanna go shopping call me up and i'll meet you in town then every time you stray towards a shop door i'll slap ya legs with a ruler or round the chops with a damp kipper.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Well we both live in Brum, so next time you wanna go shopping call me up and i'll meet you in town then every time you stray towards a shop door i'll slap ya legs with a ruler or round the chops with a damp kipper.

:lol:
  • Options
    It depends what the debt is as to how serious it is- student loan debts don't count, but overdrafts do, and they can be quite expensive.

Chop any cards up that you don't need, and if you only have the one current account, cap the overdraft at what you need rather than what you want. Budgeting is a good thing- you probbaly only need £200 a month for groceries, £100 for utilities and £100 for transport, so move the rest of the money into another account.

What we have done (as we have quite a bit of debt and we want rid) is leave our current account as a holding account- all our bills go out of it- and have opened two new current accounts without overdrafts for groceries and fun money. We've cut up our credit cards and our cards for our main current account, so we only have the money we need available, and no more.