Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Friends who borrow clothes, grrrr

13»

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    They're not acting like that because you don't lend clothes to people, that's up to you. They're acting like that because of the reason you don't, because it doesn't make sense. Someone who's wearing the same brand jeans as you isn't stealing any of your identity, and unless you've modified your jeans there's no difference between someone wearing your jeans and someone wearing the same ones.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They're not acting like that because you don't lend clothes to people, that's up to you. They're acting like that because of the reason you don't, because it doesn't make sense. Someone who's wearing the same brand jeans as you isn't stealing any of your identity, and unless you've modified your jeans there's no difference between someone wearing your jeans and someone wearing the same ones.

:yes:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I lend clothes to mates all the time, and they borrow mine too. Most of the time I get them back, sometimes I dont but I've never been bothered by it.

They're only clothes.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Dear lord, we've resorted to name calling now :chin:

Oh do me a favour and grow up. I'm me, and I'll choose whether or not I lend my clothes to people. No one will tell me what to think or do, so there's no point taking the piss and being rude because it won't change who I am.

If a question is asked, I'll choose whether or not to answer it. I don't expect to be bullied and alienated simply because my opinion is different to everyone elses.
    Quit your childish name calling and bullying, it really is pathetic and tiresome. :yeees:
    ok i'm sorry i called you a name but you seem to think that you're so individual and everyone else is just a sheep. i can't quite get my head around that when you're sat there posing on myspace in LEOPARD PRINT, which has been in fashion since the summer! a piece of clothing doesn't make your identity. if two people are wearing the same top it doesn't suddenly mean they're the same person.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    ok i'm sorry i called you a name but you seem to think that you're so individual and everyone else is just a sheep. i can't quite get my head around that when you're sat there posing on myspace in LEOPARD PRINT, which has been in fashion since the summer! a piece of clothing doesn't make your identity. if two people are wearing the same top it doesn't suddenly mean they're the same person.
    Agreed, one person will probably wear a top with jeans, another person would probably think the top goes better with a skirt and dress it up etc.

Friends rarely ask me to lend clothes but me and my mum swap clothes allof the time.
  • Options
    I simply don't want to be copied - and if that means not lending my clothes, then so be it. Jesus.
  • Options
    I'm just amazed that someone on JSA can afford to be "different".

Fuck, I earn a fairly good wage and I have to shop at Primark.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I'm just amazed that someone on JSA can afford to be "different".

Fuck, I earn a fairly good wage and I have to shop at Primark.
    i :heart: primark
  • Options
    Dear lord, we've resorted to name calling now :chin:

Oh do me a favour and grow up. I'm me, and I'll choose whether or not I lend my clothes to people. No one will tell me what to think or do, so there's no point taking the piss and being rude because it won't change who I am.

If a question is asked, I'll choose whether or not to answer it. I don't expect to be bullied and alienated simply because my opinion is different to everyone elses.
    Quit your childish name calling and bullying, it really is pathetic and tiresome. :yeees:

:lol: well sorry Ilora, I did not want to jump on the bandwagon here, but this body of thought of being the absolute unique piece on the face of the planet is usually found in 15 year old 'Rage against the parents' rebel kiddies.

I try to seperate myself a TAD too and try to identify with my own style, but I know I'm not single copy and definitely am not so stuck up about it. It just has the appearance that if a co-worker comes up to you, "Hey, you have a lovely top, I think I have the same somewhere, I really like it."
    - "NO, YOU HO! You don't have it, I have imported it from Sri Lanka, it is IMPOSSIBLE that you got it!"
    + "oh... well... sorry, maybe mine looks a bit different... oh, um gotta go!"

This setting oneself onto a pedestal so you can look down onto all the sheeps that are exactly the same is a very repulsive and arrogant way to think.

I agree with what others said. It does not matter if your glasses are a single piece and you paid 200€ more so you can show them the bill that it's in fact not the 50€ replica, as soons as you don't wear star-shaped glasses that glow in the dark you are not "unique"... I understand that you don't want to lend your clothes, it's a personal thing. But if I was one of your girly friends and you come up with that explanation to me, well, then I'd tell you to shove your clothes.

sorry tho
  • Options
    I simply don't want to be copied - and if that means not lending my clothes, then so be it. Jesus.

I wouldn't call it copying. I'd call it having a bigger wardrobe. Recently my friend had a clear out and gave me a load of her own stuff. I was happy because my wardrobe doubled in size overnight. And we have COMPLETLY different styles, so the stuff she gave me I wear in a completly different way than her - even though its the same top

My ex-housemate was so weird about this. I bought a pair of normal blue jeans from topshop and it turned out she had the same pair. I'd never even seen her wearing them before, and there was nothing special about the jeans so it wasn't like people would notice! She went mental and accused me off ripping off her style even though I'd wear them casual and punky and she'd wear hers with her little pastel tops and sparkly sweaters. I said I wouldn't want to look like her if she paid me, that shut her up. God you've got to be so up your own arse to think that everyone thinks you look so amazing that they all want to copy your look and be like you
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    But if I was one of your girly friends and you come up with that explanation to me, well, then I'd tell you to shove your clothes.
    That's the thing though. None of you are my girly friends, so why should it make the slightest bit of difference to you??

I have girly friends and they know me and still like me which most of you probably wouldn't believe.
    My mates know I'm not the kind of person to lend my clothes so they wouldn't even contemplating asking - they're accepting of that and non judgemental about it. I think that's where you lot may be going wrong. :chin:
  • Options
    That's the thing though. None of you are my girly friends, so why should it make the slightest bit of difference to you??

I have girly friends and they know me and still like me which most of you probably wouldn't believe.
    My mates know I'm not the kind of person to lend my clothes so they wouldn't even contemplating asking - they're accepting of that and non judgemental about it. I think that's where you lot may be going wrong. :chin:

Ah well, if person A kills person B and neither I nor anyone I know is person B, I'd still judge person A and try to not relate to him too much.

It's the intention that counts, not the action! Of course I wouldn't ask you to, if I know you wouldn't borrow the clothes. The action is the same: I'm not wearing your clothes, but the intention is what counts. The body of thought behind it!

And that is - to me - arrogance, being stuck up, and looking down on others, and to make a RRRREALLY wild guess, I can honestly imagine that these 3 traits I just mentioned are NOT only applicable to your dressing style.
  • Options
    I don't mind lending my clothes to my friends if they ask, and I have worn bits and bobs belonging to mates on nights out in the past etc. Not so much now when I don't live with girls, but when I did we'd always be swapping things and offering each other things to funk up an outfit or whatever.

I did live with a girl in Uni who used to nick all my clothes though, and I'd see her out on the town top-to-toe in things belonging to me. Have to laugh about it now, but at the time I was freaked out and pretty pissed off to be honest.
  • Options
    Taking clothes without asking is NOT ON, and neither is borrowing and not giving back, or giving it back damaged

Except if its your mother, then anything goes (except ruining because thats not on). She goes mad though, but I'm only there for a week at a time so she deals with it!
  • Options
    Me and my mates don't really share clothes, we're more into sharing accessories and stuff. It's just the way we've always been!
    yeah, I have been the same too.
  • Options
    I really don't mind lending clothes, shoes etc. Sometimes I'm a bit more careful with jewellery, but only because its more delicate.. I've had guys wanting to wear beads or something all day (for some obscure reason) and them coming back broken :/.
    I even lend my clothes to my mate Leah, who isn't the cleanest, carefullest girl in the world.. but what do I care? Clothes can be washed and repaired.. and I'd expect her to do the same for me :].
  • Options
    everytime i lend something, its usually a trade, so if they take something, i have something of theres i like just as much as mine!