Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

School leaving age to be raised to 18.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote:
    You could, but its not properly done.
    Nothing is done "properly" until degree level, up until then it's variations on "lies to children".
  • Options
    So what are the 16-18 years olds supposed to do in that time after GCSEs?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    So what are the 16-18 years olds supposed to do in that time after GCSEs?
    A-Levels, GNVQ's or jobs with proper training.
  • Options
    A-Levels, GNVQ's or jobs with proper training.
    Isn't that what college is for?
    Maybe if they gave us more choice before 16, as in creating more vocational courses etc for people that aren't academic and don't enjoy being in a classroom, rather than insisting we all must learn the same thing and the same time in the same way - then it wouldn't be putting people off education so much post 16.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    English lit is important because if you dont have an interest (hopefully a love) of books and reading, then your skill at English could well seriously suffer as a result.
    Though that can easily take the form of Media Studies rather than English Lit. It's essentially the same skills being taught (except with a hint of art studies in there as well). I never read books throughout school (still don't) yet I got A's up to A-level in English. It's in no way a requirement to read "proper books" to have a good understanding of English and it's uses.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    Isn't that what college is for?
    Maybe if they gave us more choice before 16, as in creating more vocational courses etc for people that aren't academic and don't enjoy being in a classroom, rather than insisting we all must learn the same thing and the same time in the same way - then it wouldn't be putting people off education so much post 16.
    Well that's the idea.
  • Options
    Haven't we had this before?

I disgaree with staying on until 18. Why make someone stay on at school and make them do something they don't want to? Jobs with training seems like a good idea.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You're not wrong, it almost came as a surprise when I used trigonometry to deisgn an unorthodox roof.
    Likewise, when I was surveying earthworks. And if you don't know basic chemistry a lot of analysis goes over your head on my course.

I'm in 2 minds. I think, on the whole, that I'm of an opinion with Fiend that it would be far preferable if the education system were reformed first. We can't do both in tandem. Sort the system, then look at the leaving age.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Story.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Thoughts?

Absolutely agree. I think thats utter bollox to be honest. At the school I went to, I was in classes that were lower sets (meaning your expected to get lower grades) because I had operations half way through secondary school. Working in those classes and getting 3A's 6B's and a C was an achievement for me considering that sometimes it was like working in a zoo. A lot of the students by 16 have made their mind up, they do or don't want to study. A lot of them want out of school by 14 so by 16 they cannot wait. Raising this is another 2 years of cash spent on education that has no value, its really a waste of money. I think that money should be supplied to school 6th forms, colleges and universities for people who go to learn because they want to, not have to.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Haven't we had this before?

I disgaree with staying on until 18. Why make someone stay on at school and make them do something they don't want to? Jobs with training seems like a good idea.
    I think we should get all the 16 year-olds who don't want to continue with academic studies through some sort of vocational training, whether this is through an apprenticeship (my preferred option), college or school.
    We can't simply have 16 year-olds leaving school with no qualifications. With all the unskilled assembly jobs going abroad (see NCR job losses) and a shortage of skilled tradesmen, it doesn't take a genius to see we need to be giving the less academically gifted teenagers more practical skills.
  • Options
    I think you should be allowed to leave school earlier as long as you have a job with training but if you don't then yes I can see the advantages of staying until you are 18. I also think that you should get credits for the education years not taken, then use them when you are older and wiser and know what studies would suit you.
  • Options
    Just watching this on ITV news. They've said that teen mums and carers won't be forced to stay on at school after 16.
  • Options
    Do iiiiit.

I only stayed on to further education because I didn't want to work. I've since then finished further education, and worked part time, only to hate it and carry on studying at higher education.

I think 18 is a sensible age to be given a choice. I think at 16 it's such an easy option to drop out and be a bum or go work in tescos, because they're not mature enough to realise that education is important.
  • Options
    I would've preferred to have done vocational training towards the end of school.
  • Options
    Just another way the government can keep unemployment figures down.
  • Options
    I really don't know what I think about this. All I know is that if I was in the situation of being made to stay on for an extra two years then I wouldn't have been pleased. I had no idea what I wanted to do when I was 16, I'm still figuring it out at 20.

However, I think if it encourages more kids to stay and gain a qualification rather than sitting at home, watching Trisha and getting up at 12 (I regret that year I wasted...lol) then I think it could be a good thing.

xxx
  • Options
    I don't agree History is important. The writing and gathering and concluding of evidence or sources is covered in English. History is just learning a load of dates and names by memory which you will have forgotton two years down the road, if you remember it that long.
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    History is just learning a load of dates and names by memory which you will have forgotton two years down the road, if you remember it that long.

Bollocks.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Just watching this on ITV news. They've said that teen mums and carers won't be forced to stay on at school after 16.

So that will mean there are loads of people having babies to get out of school!!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    Bollocks.

explain....why is bollucks?
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I also think that you should get credits for the education years not taken, then use them when you are older and wiser and know what studies would suit you.
    Not a bad idea!
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    So that will mean there are loads of people having babies to get out of school!!
    not a lot of choice though is it. You cant force parents to leave their children to go back to school, in the same way they dont force older parents to go back to work and people dont have kids to "get out of work" they have them because they either want them, or get pregnant accidently.
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    I don't agree History is important. The writing and gathering and concluding of evidence or sources is covered in English. History is just learning a load of dates and names by memory which you will have forgotton two years down the road, if you remember it that long.

Hmm i don't know what History you did, but mine wasn't anything like that.

If they had done this when i was at school i expect it would have benefited me no end. If i had been forced to stay i would have hated it, but i would have got on with it. As it happens i got away as soon as i could and have done nothing worthwhile since.
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:

I don't have to explain nothing to you. Your clear ignorance of the importance of history is plain to see.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote:
    Hmm i don't know what History you did, but mine wasn't anything like that..

what did you do in history?
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    what did you do in history?

I probably did the same as you, but i have the intelligence to realise that it wasn't just about dates and names.
  • Options
    ashlee wrote:
    "Those who don't learn history have to repeat it"

Whilst I'm not a historian myself I would argue that it is a very important subject in itself and that it teaches a lot of useful transferable skills that are useful in a wide range of vocational contexts: Being able to make an argument, write coherantly, analyse different sources, distinguish between useful and misleading information, handling statistics and all that jazz.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote:
    I don't have to explain nothing to you. Your clear ignorance of the importance of history is plain to see.

You cannot refuse to justify what you have said. That is all I did lesson after lesson in history so doing it for 3-4 years longer than I actually did do it in would have benefitted me no more. All I ever did was get given a text book and a piece of lined paper and told to draw time lines and do Q & A comprehensions.

Now how is doing 7 years of comprehensions and time lines going to benefit me? Because If I had to do history until I was 18 that would be all I would have done.
  • Options
    I didnt do history past my options.
    Im pretty sure my life would have been just as wasted with a history GCSE as it is without it tbh.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    "Those who don't learn history have to repeat it"

Whilst I'm not a historian myself I would argue that it is a very important subject in itself and that it teaches a lot of useful transferable skills that are useful in a wide range of vocational contexts: Being able to make an argument, write coherantly, analyse different sources, distinguish between useful and misleading information, handling statistics and all that jazz.

I did all this stuff in English. Dropped history in Year 9 and got A in english literature and language...so I obviously displayed them skills - yet I did not work at all in history. So it is not vital to do history in order to gain them skills.