Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

School leaving age to be raised to 18.

Story.

Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Thoughts?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, the whole education system is a bit in error isn't it. It educates in an academic manner, when not all of the population are like that. It should be a genuine option to do a practical qualification.
  • Options
    Doesnt really bother me as i wont be affected i just feel sorry for my cousin who it will
  • Options
    See, that I find interesting. I may consider this a mistake, but I don't feel sorry for people who get a free education all the way up to adulthood, why would you say that?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Well, the whole education system is a bit in error isn't it. It educates in an academic manner, when not all of the population are like that. It should be a genuine option to do a practical qualification.

I'm not sure who will benefit from this move. If a pupil is academically motivated then they'll go onto college anyway, and probably univiersity. If a pupil isn't academic, then they'll probably want to learn a trade, something that could be done through a college course, or venturing out into the world of work. It just seems that raising the age of school leaving will only trap the kids who don't want to be there for longer.
  • Options
    Everyone is academically educated up until 16 (18). Instead of the option to change your style of education earlier. Why take GCSEs if they don't suit your style of learning? 14 seems like a more than acceptable age to make the decision to be academic, or to be practical, or to be somewhere in between. In Italy the choice to do a vocational course doesn't actually rule you out of higher education, though you're likely to struggle because you haven't had the same level of linguistic, mathematical and scientific education.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

:yes:

To be fair, if I'd of been stuck in school til 18, without a choice, I wouldn't have worked hard. I hated working out of a book, and still do. I hate things like science, or maths, because I'm not interested in things like how to work out the hypotoneuse of a triangle, or why the world spins around, because I personally will never use them again. If some people feel they would, then fine, give them the option to stay on for two more years and study maths and science. Like now, when people go to sixth form. Fair enough if that's how they learn, I fully support my friends who are there.

I left school at 16 and went straight onto college, where I do a practical, vocational course. If I hadn't of had this choice, or had been made to do it at school, I know I wouldn't of worked at it. The whole change of scenery, the new people, the new experiences, are what kept me motivated. And I defnetely wouldn't have stuck with it through all the stresses like I have if it'd of been at school. :no:

Plenty of people I know went on to get jobs after school as well, and they're fine. I wouldn't consider them "out of place" - even students work around courses, and alot of people have Saturday jobs from about 14 onwards....

It's all ridiculous, IMHO.
  • Options
    It's fine for the more academic kids, but if anything the school leaving age should be "reduced" for those less academically minded. IMHO those kids should attend school only to learn the essentials (literacy, numeracy, essential life skills) and then do an apprenticeship on day release until they are 16.
  • Options
    I don't really consider myself academic, despite my academic education. I can do academic, I wouldn't have got this far if I couldn't. But I can do practical too, I wonder sometimes if I wouldn't have got further faster and had more fun on the way if I'd had more of a mixed education.

ETA: For the record, if the system were changed I'd support full time education until 18.
  • Options
    One of the reasons college is so much better than school is because all of the twats that didn't want to be there had fucked off, and so didn't ruin it for everyone else. Now I agree that plenty of people were probably disruptive because they didn't respond well to an academic education, and would do better in a vocational setting instead. But then there are some people who were just lazy little shits that didn't want to do anything at all. And there are others that would just prefer to have a bit of cash. And let's face it, these people are going to be disruptive if they are forced to spend two more years at school. I agree that there should be far more vocational options, but if you get them in before students turn 16, then you'll end up with far more people who genuinely want to do a vocational course, rather than because it's the best of two bad options that they're forced to do. I mean how many people had genuine vocational work before they reached 16? We had D&T for five years, and that was it. One GCSE out of ten.

On the other hand, this would mean far more 18 year old girls in school uniforms. I'm conflicted.
  • Options
    Fixing the education up until age 16 would be a better idea than forcing them to stay longer.

Only 45% of kids leave at 16 with 5 A-C grades if you include English and Maths - that is a mockery of an education system. There is no path in life you can take where you dont need to have english and maths up to GCSE level.

Of course vocational skills need to be added in at a lower age level, and they are, large numbers of 14-16 year olds are now doing things like plumbing and what not, but you do need to know how to read, write and add up.
  • Options
    You're not wrong, it almost came as a surprise when I used trigonometry to deisgn an unorthodox roof.
  • Options
    On the other hand, this would mean far more 18 year old girls in school uniforms. I'm conflicted.

:lol:
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    You're not wrong, it almost came as a surprise when I used trigonometry to deisgn an unorthodox roof.
    I used a simultaneous equation to work something out at work once. I was quite proud.
  • Options
    Did anyone actually read the link?

"Teenagers would be forced to stay in education or vocational training unless they had a job with a minimum level of training."

No-one is saying that everyone has to have an 'academic' education until the age of 18.........

Also i think it is very important that people have a rounded education, not just the 'essentials'. Which means an academic education to the age of 16 at least....
  • Options
    Academic in some areas. But who needs an academic education in history if you're going to be a plumber?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Academic in some areas. But who needs an academic education in history if you're going to be a plumber?

Why bother learning anything other than plumbing if you're going to be a plumber?
  • Options
    Haven't we just established that GCSE level maths was directly applicable in the workplace from an office to a building site? And if you start to try to tell me you don't need an decent grasp of the english language you can leave now. History however (as a random example) is only interesting, it gives depth to education, and I enjoyed it, but it has nothing to do with what I do now, and I'm still in academia.
  • Options
    I dont think its as bad as I initially thought because of this bit
    Teenagers would be forced to stay in education or vocational training unless they had a job with a minimum level of training.
    So if a kid has a job with training to go to, then they can still leave school.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Haven't we just established that GCSE level maths was directly applicable in the workplace from an office to a building site? And if you start to try to tell me you don't need an decent grasp of the english language you can leave now.

Alright, combine plumbing with a rudimentary maths and english course. No need to teach them any of the fancy stuff though, they're not going to use it. I'm not quite sure when you were planning on switching kids to your new revised curriculum though.

If you don't expose people to different topics then you severly limit them. Everyone needs a rounded education so that they are given as many options and experiences as possible. Your attitude of "if they don't need to know it, don't teach them it", frankly, sucks.
  • Options
    So if a kid has a job with training to go to, then they can still leave school.

I didn't see that bit- that's good and would prevent kids dropping out at 16 and dole-dossing.

I still think this country places too much stall on academic achievements rather than vocational achievements.
  • Options
    Alright, combine plumbing with a rudimentary maths and english course. No need to teach them any of the fancy stuff though, they're not going to use it. I'm not quite sure when you were planning on switching kids to your new revised curriculum though.

If you don't expose people to different topics then you severly limit them. Everyone needs a rounded education so that they are given as many options and experiences as possible. Your attitude of "if they don't need to know it, don't teach them it", frankly, sucks.

It's their choice, I don't care about geography, it's colouring in as far as I'm concerned, that's why I took a history GCSE. What I want to know about physical geography or economics (human geography as I understand it) I read up on. That sounds like an acceptable way of doing things to me. Actually choosing what you want to learn. It's not that they don't need it, it's that they don't want it. What I'm suggesting is the absolute basic level of need which is approximately GCSE Maths and GCSE English lit/lang. Everything else, is optional.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I didn't see that bit- that's good and would prevent kids dropping out at 16 and dole-dossing.

I still think this country places too much stall on academic achievements rather than vocational achievements.
    definitely, because I think even 16 is too long to stay in school for some non-academically suited kids. If they can make them at least do something with training, it might go some way to avoiding the poverty trap that a lot of young people find themselves in and then never get out of because of lack of education AND lack of vocational skills.
  • Options
    I was about to go screaming and shouting about how bad this is etc etc but thinking back if the rule was going to affect me. I did my GCSEs and I did them well but only just I couldn't have stayed at school any longer. I would loved to have stayed at the school I was at and done my childcare NVQ or something which relates to what I am doing now.

I really do agree with this. People are being forced to stay in education yet they are not being TOLD what to do. They will be able to do something they are interested in and they will have to follow it through. EMA should still be given out on the basis of how well they are keeping on track, not attendance wise so much as a motivator. All in all thumbs up, the education system has thought of something which will half benefit the student. Now there is a first.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    But who needs an academic education in history if you're going to be a plumber?

I would argue that every kid needs to learn history, not for the rubbish 'understanding what it is to be british' reason but for the skills it teaches.

How can you take full part in society (and democracy) if you havent been taught about source evaluation?
  • Options
    great, 2 more years of brainwashing....this is obviously not the answer to improve education in the UK, i didn't start learning the really useful things in life til i left school....stunted development to the age of 16 is bad enough thanks.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    I would argue that every kid needs to learn history, not for the rubbish 'understanding what it is to be british' reason but for the skills it teaches.

How can you take full part in society (and democracy) if you havent been taught about source evaluation?
    Wouldn't you get all of that before you were 14?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Wouldn't you get all of that before you were 14?

You could, but its not properly done.
  • Options
    budda wrote:
    To a point that would be taught in English, in preparation for the media and non-fiction section of the exam paper, therefore making history irrelevant if that's the reason for teaching it.

Someone suggested that not only should maths and eng lang be followed but also eng lit - I'm interested to hear the justification behind that.

I think that my big worry is that 16-18 year olds will be unlikely to settle to their course, vocational or academic, or to the on the job training because their perception will be that they have been forced to do whatever it is that they are doing. People like to have some kind of free choice over what they do with their life and this is surely one of the main reasons why pupils look forward to leaving school so much. It's also one of the main reasons that kids disrupt - they haven't chosen to be there so they want to make it a place where they can exercise some influence.

As for the EMA incentive - that has two sides to it from my experience.
    1) It helps those pupils who are from families with lower incomes to continue in education.
    2) It encourages wasters to stay on AND attend, even though they don't really want to be there, because they see it as the easy option.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote:
    To a point that would be taught in English, in preparation for the media and non-fiction section of the exam paper, therefore making history irrelevant if that's the reason for teaching it.

Someone suggested that not only should maths and eng lang be followed but also eng lit - I'm interested to hear the justification behind that.

Media and non-fiction section of the exam? Times have changed, I supose if that is included then its useful. I still think History is a really important topic though and should be up there with Maths and English.

English lit is important because if you dont have an interest (hopefully a love) of books and reading, then your skill at English could well seriously suffer as a result.
  • Options
    english lit might be important to some, but its hardly an essential.