Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

vain people

Just been thinking about this and was wondering about other peoples stance on this topic.

Is it a bad thing to be vain? I mean its good to make sure you look good and all that but not to go too far as it your totally up your own ass.

also, does this wear out relationships or make them end really early?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Vanity pisses me off. Theres a difference between taking care of yourself and making yoursef look good and vanity, and whilst I appreciate the former to some degree, I don't like the latter.
  • Options
    I'm vain!! In the sense that I always want to look my best and I'm not happy if I don't. I don't show it really though but it's how I feel inside.
    How do you mean does it effect the relationship? If someone is so vain they only pay attention to themselves then I can't see the relationship working.
    If it's someone who's vain becasue of insecurities then they would need an understanding partner but the they would need to let their partner help them. Some people will always be insecure and can't be helped, this can break the relationship down.
  • Options
    wanting to look your best is fine in my book but when a person is always looking in mirrors and going on about their looks all the time, then thats what annoys me. thats the type of vanity that I mean.
  • Options
    Vanity is negative quality to possess, whereas there's nothing wrong in trying to look good. Simple as that. If it's to the extreme, then yes, it can ruin a relationship.
  • Options
    I am not really vain. Sometimes I really dress-up nicely, whereas yesterday I was just in sir benni miles baggy pants and [aem´kei] hoodie in some club (I was surprised they let me in) and had better success (if I may call it like that.) as on other days.

It's important if you have good and basic care for youself, but I can spot a lot of vain people when going out and they always seem artificial and therefore unattractive to me.
  • Options
    there is a stunning girl who is out everytime i`m out

you can see all the fellas look at her as soon as she walks in, UNTIL, she starts flicking her hair, dancing like a trollop and snarling people, then they all lose interest because they can see what a vain cow she is

they probably see her as shaggin material but not relationship material
  • Options
    if a person is vain, does that mean their selfish as well, I say that because I find that the 2 go hand in hand. (if taken to extremes)
  • Options
    Is it a bad thing to be vain? I mean its good to make sure you look good and all that but not to go too far as it your totally up your own ass.

I don't reckon being vain = being up your own arse.

I'd say I'm a bit of a poser. I've got a photo of myself as my wallpaper on my phone, spend quite a bit of time sorting my hair out every day and if I'm out then I'll always nip off to the toilet purely to check myself out.

I check myself out just to make sure I'm looking alright, force of habit more than anything and it's sort of a running joke too. If somebody says I look nice then I'm so, so flattered and humbled, so I don't think I'm up my own arse.

Being up yourself is thinking you're the absolute bees knees and you're thinking you're amazingly beautiful and thinking evey guy/girl should be looking at you because you're so sure you're that damn beautiful. Come across a few vile girls like that and they just repulsed me tbh :yuck:
  • Options
    I don't what you mean by being vain. I mean I know people who would feel like shit if they had to leave the house without doing their hair and make-up. And they're all great people. But then pretty much everyone gains confidence when they think they look good, and I don't see the problem with taking pride in looking as good as you can. And there are plenty of people who will happily talk down their nose to people who they don't think are as good as them. But that's not necessarily anything to do with looks. In fact, the type of person I would consider to be vain would be the person who looks at a confident, good-looking person in a club talking to all their friends, and judges them based on that.
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote:
    Personally, I can't stand vanity. I find it such an unattractive characteristic as it usually hints at an underlying lack of personality or good character traits. Usually vain people are very boring, as all they have to offer is their looks. Once the novelty of that's worn off, you have nothing left to say to them.
    Yeah, but how many people like that do you really know? I don't know anyone whose entire perception of self-worth is based on their looks. In fact, the only time I hear that description is when someone is judging someone they barely know, and assume that they're vain because they're good looking and confident.
  • Options
    I had an ex bf who after sex would shove me over, grab his clothes and dress infront of the mirror, then spend half an hour tidying his hair and borrowing my moisuriser to make his skin look better.

I know as a kid, he used to get picked on for being fat and he is the most toned, muscle bound guy I've ever known because who worked to look like that...but now it's no longer "I feel fat" it's "I like goooood!" Now a few years on, when I was with him, there was a girl he blantently fancied and all this self-improvment and preening became for her benefit. As soon as she's looking, shirts of, he's flexing his muscles. He's doing his hair every few minutes. Interests off this girl, he splits with me and became my fuck buddy. He is constantly checking himself out, going to the mirror incase I ruffled his hair. He cares more to keep his perfected image then just looking...as you look! Even when talking he gets distracted looking at himself in the mirror. He's absorbed by his appearance, which he has grown very fond of!

That's all I have to say. I found it unattractive, I still find it unattractive! I mean the insecurities I could understand but now it's become a sort of bigheaded obsession of his.
  • Options
  • Options
    malteser monkays description of vanity is what im thinking of and sophia and Bri just put it into words.

thats the type of vanity I hate, Although there isn't anything wrong with taking pride in your appearence.
  • Options
    It depends what you mean by vain.

Vain to me means someone who is totally obsessed with their looks, thinks they are so pretty and better looking than everyone else and is constantly looking at themselves when they walk past mirrors/windows and stuff.

I wouldn't describe myself as vain. I won't leave the house without doing my hair or make up but I don't think I'm better than anyone else. I don't think I'm particularly pretty, just normal looking. I don't go running to a mirror every two minutes either. However, sometimes I will redo my makeup in the middle of a night out/day out and brush my hair or something because its got messy!

I've never really had a boyfriend who has been vain. I couldn't go out with someone like that tbh. They would get on my nerves. I hate vain people. I hate people that are like "OMG, I'm so pretty. Look at me" URGH.
  • Options
    I just hate people who are obsessed with their looks or look down on them thinking their better simply for that reason.
  • Options
    i would never leave the house without doing my hair and makeup. i always want to look my best. i redo my make up and brush my hair through-out the day and night. i wouldn't say im *that* vain though.i'm not totally self-abosrbed in my looks and i'm not arrogant. however i do sometimes scrunch my nose up at people if i think they look bad.
  • Options
    Yeah, but how many people like that do you really know? I don't know anyone whose entire perception of self-worth is based on their looks. In fact, the only time I hear that description is when someone is judging someone they barely know, and assume that they're vain because they're good looking and confident.
    i was thinking the same
  • Options
    I tend to observe the more vain someone gets the more they think they deserve.
  • Options
    Yeah, but how many people like that do you really know? I don't know anyone whose entire perception of self-worth is based on their looks.

I do :) A modern day Narcissus if you will. I have spent hours of enlightening time in his company secretly dissecting his wildly bizarre personality. However I haven't learned any solid facts about him other than the fact that he will only use Aveda hair products. This is the man who will check his reflection in spoons, duck to look in car wing mirrors when walking along the street and when we're out will shoot venomous glares at the so-called "uglies".

Vanity is definitely the scourge of the modern world. Doesn't matter a jot what you're like inside as long as your shiny and fabulous on the outside; it's perfectly understandable why people become so absorbed in their own reflections - as if it's actually important when it comes down to brass tacks.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    For me, vanity is trying to look what you think is your best (or in some cases, what you've been told is your best) no matter what the drawbacks of what you're doing are. For example wearing extremely tight clothing all (or most of) the time without caring that it's not good for your body, or starving yourself to lose weight (not talking about anorexia here).
  • Options
    To be perfectly honest, I love watching my boyfriend admire himself in the mirror and do his hair.
    I find that very hott.

But it pisses me off when folk go out of their way to fuss over something that doesn't need to be fussed over, or when they make you feel like shit because you don't live up to their superficial expectations. Vanity can kill. I wrote a poem about it once.

According to Aristotle, it wasn't a good thing. Excess of a virture, I believe. (sorry, I'm in study mode for my philosophy exam)

There is nothing wrong at all about taking pride in your appearance though and respecting your body and being happy with the way that you dress.
    In fact, I'd like to do more of those things.
  • Options
    I like how I look but I don't stand in the mirror 24/7 gawking at myself.
  • Options
    People like paris hilton do my nut in. Unless it costs over £500 they wont buy it.
  • Options
    I can take ages to get ready because i hate the way i look. I see it as trying to look less bad.

Vanity on the other hand, i consider to be when people love themselves too much. Theres nothing wrong with humbly loving yourself- thats a good thing. But theres no need to rub it in peoples faces, look down on other people, and criticize the was others look.

I can handle people that are concious about the way they look and try to look the best they can, but i cant do with vain people, they do my head in. Which is why i dont have any vain friends :)
  • Options
    I lived with a girl who in the first year who was extremely vain.

She was fashion student and she used to go around the flat in her underwear (she was a size 8, had the the perfect body, MASSIVE boobs and she was tanned). It was like she wanted to rub it in our faces that she had the perfect body or something.

Her friends off her course were/are just as bad. They wear far too much makeup, look like oranges and won't wear anything that isn't designer. Gets on my nerves tbh.
  • Options
    I like to look after myself. But the only makeup i own is foundation and mascara. Maybe liner and shadow if i'm going to something fancy. I don't retouch myself throughout the day. If it's windy i'll take a hair brush because knotty hair pisses me off. I like to look ok, but i'm not arsed about looking stunning all the time. I just can't be bothered. I take good care of my skin and body though.

Theres a bunch of vain girls in upper 6th, always looking in their mirrors and saying they're gorgeous. That pisses me off.
  • Options
    I lived with a girl who in the first year who was extremely vain.

She was fashion student and she used to go around the flat in her underwear (she was a size 8, had the the perfect body, MASSIVE boobs and she was tanned). It was like she wanted to rub it in our faces that she had the perfect body or something.

Her friends off her course were/are just as bad. They wear far too much makeup, look like oranges and won't wear anything that isn't designer. Gets on my nerves tbh.

Well to be fair to her, walking about in your scanties isn't a crime... maybe she was drying her fake tan :) That sounds more like projection of your own insecurities onto someone confident with their body, rather than her vanity (though it could have been a bit of both, of course). At Uni and even sometimes now I would potter about the house in my underwear, and I would be mortified to think that anyone would say it was for vanity's sake.

Also, people usually grow out of the "everything must have a famous label" fad, though there is something to be said for the clothing of some designer labels as it is of far better quality than cheap/non-designer clobber. This is the case 1000 fold if you are a fashion student. Designer labels have the latest looks and often much more attention to detail etc... as much as people would like to believe you get the same quality from Primark as from Prada, well it just ain't true.

Am waaay off topic here, but I just thought I'd go to bat for the girl. As annoying as fashion students - and fashionable people - can sometimes be, I think they are sometimes misunderstood (bust out the violins :p)
  • Options
    Haha. Maybe. It was ALL THE TIME though and nobody else did it in the flat. It was practically a thong and a bra she went around in most of the time. Most of the time she was like "OMG I'M SO PRETTY" as well. It got annoying. I'm personally happy with my body now. I wasn't back then so yeah, I was insecure wiht her around but so was everyone else in the flat.

And no, she goes on the sunbed so she wasnt drying her fake tan! HAHA.

She is vain. She's always looking at herself in the mirror, looking down on those that aren't as pretty, constantly redoing her hair and makup and won't wear anything that isn't a designer label. I know she's a fashion student but yeah, its annoying. We'd like buy something from say New Look and she would look down on us for it.
  • Options
    i don't see whats wrong with putting emphasis on your looks! i mean its very likely that people who are super intelligent look down on those who aren't. make the use of what you're born with i say!