Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

vain people

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lipsy wrote:
    i don't see whats wrong with putting emphasis on your looks! i mean its very likely that people who are super intelligent look down on those who aren't. make the use of what you're born with i say!
    Theres nothing wrong with wanting to look nice at all. I like to look nice. I spend time doing my hair and makeup and choosing my clothes. HOWEVER, its not nice of those who are happy with their looks to look down on people who they think are not as pretty as them. I think theres a line between being confident and over confident.
    I'd say that the only confidence held by a person who feels the need to put down the looks of others would be false confidence.

You can be confident in yourself and your looks without being vain, just as you can be confident in your intelligence without being an intellectual snob. It's not really fair to assume that everyone who is happy with their own looks is absorbed with them, or that they think badly of other people's looks or lack of confidence in their image.
    whats wrong with constantly re-doing you hair and make-up? why bother doing your make up in the morning to then let it go scabby and never re-touch it during the day/night?
    Nothing but when its every two minutes...well, theres no need. I redo my hair and makeup in the day but I'm not obsessed with it.

And Briggi, I think you have a point about those who look down on other people having false confidence. Maybe thats what they do to make themselves feel better.
    I think i'm really vain - I can't pass a mirror without looking at my self in it - half the time i'm thinking blimey do I really look that bad? The other half of the time I can't belive that I'm that pretty. The same goes for photographs I love people taking photo's of me so i can look at myself - but obviously if I look terrible in them i'd probably try and get rid of them.

I can't change that though its just how I am.

However I'm definately not a make up, hair, clothes obsessed person (OK well not THAT obsessed - i'm perfectly capable of leaving the house wearing no make up - which I do every day)
    the problem is.. we live in such a superficial world now! looking good can get you far and i think its really easy to get caught up in that. i mean if you're constantly getting people admiring you because of your looks then it will become really important to you to keep up to those high standards :yes:
    lipsy wrote:
    the problem is.. we live in such a superficial world now! looking good can get you far and i think its really easy to get caught up in that. i mean if you're constantly getting people admiring you because of your looks then it will become really important to you to keep up to those high standards :yes:

That's true.

I s'pose it's personal preference really - I wouldn't mind if people thought I fancied myself, but I'd be mortified if I was walking about all day with half my sandwich round my mouth or a booger hanging out of my nose and didn't realise it.