Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What you think of my dog?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What's the blue thing?
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Sorry, I don't like your dog. Not too keen on those sort of dogs at all.

And I don't understand why someone thinks that they'd be too scared of it biting them. That's just a silly thing to say unless you are scared of *all* dogs biting you.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    your yorkshire terrior looks just like mine!
  • Options
    I love staffies because they look hardcore, but are soft as shit.
  • Options
    Sorry, I don't like your dog. Not too keen on those sort of dogs at all.

And I don't understand why someone thinks that they'd be too scared of it biting them. That's just a silly thing to say unless you are scared of *all* dogs biting you.

:lol:

I am scared of all dogs biting me, I didn't say that it was a rational thought to have and I am sure his dog wouldnt actually bite people. The point is that his dog looks to me like a scary dog. I don't think it is a silly thing to say at all actually, its my opinion and I never said that it was correct.

So there :p
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    your yorkshire terrior looks just like mine!
    She is 14 yrs old. We put her against the tortoise to show how small she is.
  • Options

Staffie's have a really bad reputation for being biters, because they were bred to hang onto bulls with their powerful jaws, and so when they do bite they often do alot more damage than other dogs. Its the same in that people would be more scared of a german shepherd biting them than a small spaniel or something, because generally a smaller dog can do less damage. So if you think about it, the logic of being more scared does in some ways make sense, but the actual breed itself doesnt have more of a tendancy for being aggressive, they just often get mis-trained.

And because staffie's have such powerful heads and jaws, owners are often not consistant enough with training as puppies and the dogs dont understand that biting is not allowed, same as any other dog though, but when a badly trained staffie bites someone, its much more of a big deal than when say, a yorkshire terrier does the same thing.

Which means staffies, along with german shepherds are two of the most popular breeds to end up in rescue shelters, or being put to sleep:(

eta: to answer the actual question, i like your dog :) wouldnt be my personal choice of the best looking breed, but all dogs are cute in their own ways and im sure its a lovely pet!
  • Options
    this is one of our dogs http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/lucy9585/DSC00093.jpg - he's an irish deerhound. you don't see many of them around. :)

He is gorgeous, I want one! Is he good natured?

I like the OP's dog, too, I love Staffies.
  • Options
    HIT wrote:
    She is 14 yrs old. We put her against the tortoise to show how small she is.
    Mine's 5. An I've only ever seen one dog smaller than her IRL.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Blah wrote:
    Staffie's have a really bad reputation for being biters, because they were bred to hang onto bulls with their powerful jaws, and so when they do bite they often do alot more damage than other dogs. Its the same in that people would be more scared of a german shepherd biting them than a small spaniel or something, because generally a smaller dog can do less damage. So if you think about it, the logic of being more scared does in some ways make sense, but the actual breed itself doesnt have more of a tendancy for being aggressive, they just often get mis-trained.

And because staffie's have such powerful heads and jaws, owners are often not consistant enough with training as puppies and the dogs dont understand that biting is not allowed, same as any other dog though, but when a badly trained staffie bites someone, its much more of a big deal than when say, a yorkshire terrier does the same thing.

Which means staffies, along with german shepherds are two of the most popular breeds to end up in rescue shelters, or being put to sleep:(

eta: to answer the actual question, i like your dog :) wouldnt be my personal choice of the best looking breed, but all dogs are cute in their own ways and im sure its a lovely pet!

I didn't realise that staffies have such a poor reputation. However, I still think it is irrational.

If I saw a dog on the street, without it's owner, I would never go and pet it. You just don't know its temperament - *any* dog could just lash out. However, if it has it's owner there and I was speaking to the owner etc etc then I would stoke the dog. I just think it is a shame to stereotype breeds based on a few horror stories.

One of our friends has a blue doberman and they are (supposedly) quite a vicious breed. However, this dog is the biggest wimp and softie that you could ever meet. Each dog is different.

EDITED TO ADD:
    I am scared of all dogs biting me, I didn't say that it was a rational thought to have and I am sure his dog wouldnt actually bite people. The point is that his dog looks to me like a scary dog. I don't think it is a silly thing to say at all actually, its my opinion and I never said that it was correct.

That makes more sense. It just seemed strange to be scared of one particular dog. It was still early, that's my excuse :p

A fear of dogs is just as irrational as a fear of spiders, which I have. Sorry if I offended or owt :)
  • Options
    That makes more sense. It just seemed strange to be scared of one particular dog. It was still early, that's my excuse :p

A fear of dogs is just as irrational as a fear of spiders, which I have. Sorry if I offended or owt :)

No don't worry about it, i'm not offended at all :)
  • Options
    She is a real gentle dog and wouldn't bite anyone or anything! Thank you all for your nice and not so nice comments. Answer too what the blue thing is, thats her harness for when walking her. I think walking a dog with lead and collar is ok its just she tends too pull a bit when walking so this is alot more comfortable for her.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Blah wrote:
    Staffie's have a really bad reputation for being biters

But that rep is complete bollocks. They arn't called the 'Nanny Dog' for nothing - generally their temperement means they'll put up with loads of shit other dogs simply wouldn't.

To the OP - your dog looks nice, but from the pic she looks overweight.

My staffy
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=7445
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=7443
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=7444

A video of my dog and some pigs on the forest - she's on the lead because she has tenadancy to chase piglets if they run, and big bad ass pissed off mummy pigs are fucking dangerous. Usually she's off the lead and fine with any other animal

"Piggies"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYqaCGLDzBU
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Very nice dog. My dog might have looked at tad big there but she'd only came outta heat and she hadn't been walked as regularly as normal...
  • Options
    My favourite staffies are the ones with the kind of mottled brown coat. My friend has one like that, she's mad as fuck and so soppy. They've got a new puppy as well, a staffy called Max. He is black and white and ate all the cat food.
  • Options
    My favourite staffies are the ones with the kind of mottled brown coat.

It's called Brindle. My dog's a dark Brindle.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Yep, that's the one. I was going to say brown :p
  • Options
    Skive wrote:

I thought it was gonna be like Blair Witch Project when it started. :)

Spose you could call it the Brindle Piggy Project :D
  • Options
    I love Staffies. I have grew up around them and we have two now. Frankie is 3 and the little one Lexie is his daughter and is now 15 weeks. They are not as 'butch' looking as the OP's dog. It does get to me sometimes when people go on about their rep.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    It does get to me sometimes when people go on about their rep.

Because '1 Staffy attacks baby in garden quite a few years ago and you can't really recall any of the details or circumstances' is news and people will remember it.

'150,000 Staffies have peaceful life with caring owners and never bite anyone' is not news.
  • Options
    very cute dog, shes a biggun though.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote:
    Because '1 Staffy attacks baby in garden quite a few years ago and you can't really recall any of the details or circumstances' is news and people will remember it.

'150,000 Staffies have peaceful life with caring owners and never bite anyone' is not news.

It's simply because they're bull terriers.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    I love Staffies. I have grew up around them and we have two now. Frankie is 3 and the little one Lexie is his daughter and is now 15 weeks. They are not as 'butch' looking as the OP's dog. It does get to me sometimes when people go on about their rep.

I love that 2nd photo!!
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    But that rep is complete bollocks.
    I know that, didnt you read the rest of my post? Just because i admit they have a reputation, it doesnt mean i agree with it.
  • Options
    Here she is, shes a Staffordshire Bull Terrior and is around 9 monnths old now.
    Cute dog.
  • Options
    Well I gave my opinion, you gave yours. Neither should be ignored. The thread asked what we thought of it, not to say it looks lovely. If it had said that, I wouldn't have bothered replying-I said what I thought.
    ok then...WHY Does she look manky?

manky means scruffy/dirty....she doesnt look either of those to me
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:

Why does it matter? Just give it a rest.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote:

Manky = fox2.jpg :yuck:
  • Options
    My dog might have looked at tad big there but she'd only came outta heat and she hadn't been walked as regularly as normal...

Is your dog quite tidy when she's in heat? Because mine was fucking terrible - blood and juices everywhere :yuck: After 3 seasons there was no other option but to spay her.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Is your dog quite tidy when she's in heat? Because mine was fucking terrible - blood and juices everywhere :yuck: After 3 seasons there was no other option but to spay her.
    Please Skive, refrain from such crudity!